The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Martin Discontinued the Vintage Series?

Hey all,

I was checking out the Martin website the other day and it seems that the Vintage series was discontinued. Last year when I purchased my HD-28V they noted it was one of their most popular models. Why would they discontinue it?
Will it affect the value of my guitar, a 2018 model? Any thoughts or insight fellow pickers?

FP
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 PM

Just marketing I would say to focus new models like the Modern Deluxe.

The D-28V was there most popular model to date as to what I have read.

I don't know if it will have much impact as to the value right now there are a couple still in stores but down the road only time will tell.

By the way congrats on great guitar.

I have my eye on three guitars at the moment two are used and the other is a brand new D-28V and having a life time warranty is something to really consider
Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
Hey all,

I was checking out the Martin website the other day and it seems that the Vintage series was discontinued. Last year when I purchased my HD-28V they noted it was one of their most popular models. Why would they discontinue it?
Will it affect the value of my guitar, a 2018 model? Any thoughts or insight fellow pickers?

FP
They can only offer so many models at a time, and the new Modern Delixe series is supposed to replace the Vintage series. The vintage series still had the mod v neck, narrower nut, and narrower string spacing and long saddle and ivoroid bindings. In a factory setting, I’m sure it’s just cheaper and easier to homogenize everything to the same nut and string spacing etc. So they ax the V in hopes people will buy the MD instead. Too bad the new MD series has such a skinny neck. Nothing like the mod v. Unless you can afford an authentic, Martin no longer makes a regular production guitar without that same “MLO” neck profile. Eventually it will just be one guitar offered in 100 different colors. ☹️

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-18-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Please avoid the profanity
Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
They can only offer so many models at a time, and the new Modern Delixe series is supposed to replace the Vintage series. The vintage series still had the mod v neck, narrower nut, and narrower string spacing and long saddle and ivoroid bindings. In a factory setting, I’m sure it’s just cheaper and easier to homogenize everything to the same nut and string spacing etc. So they ax the V in hopes people will buy the MD instead. Too bad the new MD series has such a skinny neck. Nothing like the mod v. Unless you can afford an authentic, Martin no longer makes a guitar without that same “MLO” neck profile. Eventually it will just be one guitar offered in 100 different colors. ☹️
Not sure they can only offer “so many models at a time” - seems like they have not reached a limit yet. Don’t see why they need so much product differentiation. Seems like the more cohesive thing to do is come up with one good way to express an idea and do it. But they’ve greatly expanded their capacity and they’re facing a stagnant or declining market, so why not find a new way to sell people the same thing?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 PM

They can theoretically offer as many models as they want. However, it is up to dealers to stock - and sell - them.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Exactly. And apparently dealer feedback is to streamline. It’s easier and more profitable to kill off diversity and streamline. It’s a lot cheaper to punch out every guitar with the same specs (ok, most guitars) than it is to have a zillion varying models with slight differences. It’s all business. Meanwhile a nice HD-28V is still $2k on reverb. No brainier, if you like a mod v.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
...In a factory setting, I’m sure it’s just cheaper and easier to homogenize everything to the same nut and string spacing etc. So they ax the V in hopes people will buy the MD instead...
- and we all know how well that worked for Norlin/Gibson in the late-60's - '70s...
Old 03-17-2019, 09:03 PM

Martin has put most of the structural and aesthetic hallmarks of the vintage series models into their standard series, beginning with the D-18 in 2012 and culminating in the refresh of their entire lineup last year. What this does is simplify the number of “traditional” Martin models to just the standard and authentic lines, and opens up the price point in-between for them to try something a little less vintage-spec like the new “modern deluxe” line.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Om28v was truly the best OM per $$... ����
Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 AM

A lot of folks liked the appointments of the Vintage series but hated the V neck.

I suspect Martin has the marketing data to know what they are doing.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 AM

The demise of the V Series was a result of “Reimagining” the Standard Series where a number of appearance and tone influencing features from the Vintage Series went into the Standard Series. For example, the reimagined HD28 is basically an HD28V with the newer fast neck (MLO-PA) and a 1.75” nut. This left room for a new series between Standard and Authentic, hence the Modern Deluxe. I like new guitars and, on paper, the upgrade package on the MDs is a great value. It is a great looking guitar with a slightly brighter tone. The sound is getting generally positive reviews but some don’t like he new “Vintage Deluxe” neck carve which is supposed to mimic that on the 1930 OM-45 Deluxe. Try before you buy.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 03-18-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Glad I found my 000-28VS a year ago.

Never would have expected to like that big old V-neck had it not been in a store where I could try it out.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:51 PM

It may even make your model more valuable becasue its not made any more -
i know when i bought my OM28v ( which i love ) a couple of weeks latter i played a 000-28VS , they are a very nice sounding guitar - if these two were back to back I probably couldn't pick out my favorite -
Old 10-30-2019, 12:07 AM

WOW! So glad I got a V back in May 2019. For four years I sampled d-28s. When ever I ran into a V , I heard a fuller, more resonant, more sustaining sound. I am certain is because the LONG SADDLE. But I was apprehensive of the large V neck. Prior to my final purchase of the HD-28v, I ordered two D-28s, one reimagined, and returned them both. I tone was not as I remembered with the HD-28v’s that I tried.
I have been living the dream for the last five months. The HD-28v IMOHO is a different instrument. I’m surprised it has been discontinued
Old 10-30-2019, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlmcg View Post
For four years I sampled d-28s. When ever I ran into a V , I heard a fuller, more resonant, more sustaining sound. I am certain is because the LONG SADDLE.
It has far more to do with bracing - straight in ‘standard’ position on a D-28, scalloped and forward-shifted on an HD-28V.

The ‘long’ saddle isn’t a true ‘cut-through’ saddle like the saddles used in the golden era of Martins, it’s just a drop-in saddle that sits in a routed ‘pocket’, but which has its ends extended. It may have a slight effect on tone, but the bracing is what gives the big difference.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion