The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Default I kind of miss playing a 12 string (baritone question)

but then again I don't. When I was a 20 something a Yahama 12 string was my only guitar. I took that guitar everywhere. After a couple/three years the "chimeyness" started to get to me. Another thing that really bugged me was when an octave string started to go. It drove me nuts. Having enough of this I took off the 2nd octave strings and played it like a wide neck 6 string.

Finally I bought my Guild D-55 and the Yamaha was retired to a closet where it sat for 20 something years. After I had got married I gave it to the brother of a friend and never looked back.

My fingers start to hurt empathically just at the thought of playing one again, but for certain tunes nothing beats them.

So I was wondering, what about 8 string baritones? I'm not thinking 2k, but more like 300 - 400 as I would use it sporatically, maybe do some composing on it etc. Do they exist or just the 6 string variation at that price point?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

The only 8-string bari I know of is the Taylor (no longer made as part of the regular lineup), which is pricier.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
...Finally I bought my Guild D-55....
Just get you a 12-string cousin of that Guild and you'll be set!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The only 8-string bari I know of is the Taylor (no longer made as part of the regular lineup), which is pricier.
Ok, thanks Doug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Just get you a 12-string cousin of that Guild and you'll be set!
No, I just can't do it,

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
but then again I don't. When I was a 20 something a Yahama 12 string was my only guitar. I took that guitar everywhere. After a couple/three years the "chimeyness" started to get to me. Another thing that really bugged me was when an octave string started to go. It drove me nuts. Having enough of this I took off the 2nd octave strings and played it like a wide neck 6 string.

Finally I bought my Guild D-55 and the Yamaha was retired to a closet where it sat for 20 something years. After I had got married I gave it to the brother of a friend and never looked back.

My fingers start to hurt empathically just at the thought of playing one again, but for certain tunes nothing beats them.

So I was wondering, what about 8 string baritones? I'm not thinking 2k, but more like 300 - 400 as I would use it sporatically, maybe do some composing on it etc. Do they exist or just the 6 string variation at that price point?
I'd suppose one could buy an affordable 6 string baritone and add a 7th octave string with the Breezy Ridge add-on kit.

Or are you thinking of 4 doubled courses, like an 8 string bass?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Ibanez also made one but is currently out of production. ESP have them in electric. You might find a used Taylor or Ibanez on eBay.

Hey, AMS have an Ibanez in stock.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...A-AE255BT-LIST
Old 03-17-2019, 01:12 PM

I would love to play a Taylor 8 string baritone but very few exist.
If you want an 8 string baritone, you will most likely have to have one custom made for you.
That will be a bit over $500.00.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

The Taylor 8 string baritones comeback periodically. I have the LTD from a couple years ago and I love it. Sadly, as someone pointed out they will be more than $500 even used. I guess that would mean a BTO is out too. :-(

Great idea though Barry. They might scratch your itch.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Interesting this thread came up today. I just came back from my local luthier and he showed me a guitar he modified and changed from a 6 string to an 8 string. If you had an old guitar you could likely get that changed into a baritone. It doesn't look like that difficult or costly a job. It should be in your budget range at least.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

What about doing a Roger McGuinn type thing with an octave G string.
You could get this for $68 http://www.addstring.com.
Make your current guitar a 7 string, get a 12 string sim and it's a non invasive mod.
Just a thought
Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
The Taylor 8 string baritones comeback periodically. I have the LTD from a couple years ago and I love it. Sadly, as someone pointed out they will be more than $500 even used. I guess that would mean a BTO is out too. :-(

Great idea though Barry. They might scratch your itch.
I'll probably pick up one of those Alvarez some day then. It's not something I'll use on a daily basis, just a change of pace kind of thing.

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Interesting this thread came up today. I just came back from my local luthier and he showed me a guitar he modified and changed from a 6 string to an 8 string. If you had an old guitar you could likely get that changed into a baritone. It doesn't look like that difficult or costly a job. It should be in your budget range at least.
The scale on a baritone is longer. Otherwise the strings get too floppy because of the tuning.

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Barry if you'd like to try something for a change of pace grab yourself a set of 'High Strung' or 'Nashville Tuning' strings.
Basically the octave set from a 12-string guitar.

-Martin MSPHT 10
-D'Addario EJ38H
-GHS CU-BBHT ... my favorites

Haunting but addictive sound (think guitar, harp and mandolin mix) - I've enjoyed your compositions and think that with your superb playing style you might find it fun - played in unison with your regular 6-string or solo ... and it's relatively inexpensive too.

Back to guitars ... The Ibanez AEL 108MD is an 8-string acoustic guitar with double octaves on the G and D strings.(see picture)

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-17-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The scale on a baritone is longer. Otherwise the strings get too floppy because of the tuning.
Yes, I just looked up that point earlier in the day. Would it not be possible to move the bridge back a bit to give it the longer scale?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Barry if you'd like to try something for a change of pace grab yourself a set of 'High Strung' or 'Nashville Tuning' strings.
Basically the octave set from a 12-string guitar.

-Martin MSPHT 10
-D'Addario EJ38H
-GHS CU-BBHT ... my favorites

Haunting but addictive sound (think guitar, harp and mandolin mix) - I've enjoyed your compositions and think that with your superb playing style you might find it fun - played in unison with your regular 6-string or solo ... and it's relatively inexpensive too.

Back to guitars ... The Ibanez AEL 108MD is an 8-string acoustic guitar with double octaves on the G and D strings.(see picture)

Thanks Bruce, the Nashville sounds interesting. Also I forgot about the Ibanez baritones. Thanks!

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion