The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM

I have one of the original Shubb capos and a few months ago picked up a Paige Click. I like both very much. The Shubb rests on the table where I practice and the Paige goes on when I'm at jams so I don't have to keep putting it on and off all the time. Once it's on, slide it above the nut and slide it back down as needed. My only complaint with the Shubb is the strings seem a bit muted when used and I find it a bit of a struggle getting the Paige on initially as the cross bar does not line up with the notch it goes into and you have to pinch the horseshoe just right to get it to pop into place. However, the $20 price tags greatly outweigh my complaints. I don't see myself spending $50 and up for a capo. If it fails/breaks I'll just get a replacement and still be ahead in the money.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 02-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I didn't care for the clik Paige capos but the regular ones work great. I think the Elliott Elite and the G7th Heritage are the two best capo I've used.

I always say the Standard Paige capo is like a tool and the other more expensive ones are like jewelry. I own three paige capos, a Heritage G7th in Gold and a Shubb Finetune in Chrome. I like them all. I have used Elliott capos in the past but I sold them when I needed cash.

PS.. Elliott Capos and Blue Chip picks sell crazy fast on the UMGF.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I have owned an Elliot and sold it. Great capo.

I have owned a Shubb F1... nice. Sold it.

Bought a G7 Heritage and lost it. Best capo I have owned. Very bummed.

Bought a D'addario yoke capo last week. Its llght and feels cheap. Does the job... but it really is in the class of a cheaper capo and shouldnt be compared with the other three. I feel like it wasn't worth the $50 I paid.

I still have a G7 performance, a Daddario Planet Waves NS capo that I mostly use. They are great.

The Daddario NS at $18 is nicer than the Daddario yoke at $50. In my opinion.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:08 PM

The three yoke-style capos I have owned have been the Paige, the John Pearse Ol’ Reliable and the Shubb Fine Tune (FT.)

I don’t know if the Shubb FT works “three times better” than the Paige does, but I definitely like it a lot more. I like the John Pearse Ol’ Reliable better than the Paige and the FT more than the Ol’ Reliable, because the Ol’ Reliable is more ruggedly constructed than the Paige and the workmanship and design on the Shubb FT are more advanced than the Ol’ Reliable.

The Shubb is beautifully made, and is equally good as the Elliott capos, in my opinion. I’ve never owned an Elliott but have used friends’ Elliotts on occasion, and think that the Shubb FT compares favorably

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 PM

I have a Paige standard and a Paige Click. They both work fine. Minimal loss of tuning issues.
If you buy the standard, get the wider profile version. If you get the Click, remember to slightly loosen the screw manually before pushing the , "Click" button. Doing so will keep the threads in better shape.

The standard version regular profile is fine for slim necks like a J45 or J 15. Get the wide for anything else.

I have considered the Shubb Fine Tune. May get one. That is as expensive as I would go. Sure as heck I would lose the the G7 if I bought one.

Can't really afford the high end models. Would be really bummed to lose one.

The Paige models work fine. If taken care of they should provide years of service. Good enough for me.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM

I say just buy a Paige(the cheapest one) and see if you'd like using the yoke style capo.

I have a Paige click, nice design, kinda flimsy. The click function is pretty nice.
But I find yolk style too slow to use on stage.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 PM

The G7th Heritage is my go-to capo....of all my capos this one seems to let more ringing and string tone out. this is followed by the Elliot-McKinney, which is really nice as well in the yoke style.
I just received the G7th Performance 3 and have been disappointed........works fine on one of my guitars, but I'm getting buzzing on others.......even after a lot of attention to placement and pressure. When it's "on", the tone is excellent, but getting there has been an issue.
I use a capo on nearly everything I do, so I'm pretty sensitive on that front.
Again, for serious stuff...........G7th Heritage for me.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion