The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-27-2019, 07:06 AM
Hasbro Hasbro is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 529
Default Dpa 4099 mic and mic pre

Does anyone have experience running one of these into a mic pre? For purposes of recording. Would a mic pre add much benefit to the overall sound quality?
__________________
really likes guitars
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:31 AM
jim1960 jim1960 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Does anyone have experience running one of these into a mic pre? For purposes of recording. Would a mic pre add much benefit to the overall sound quality?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. For recording, you'd have to run any microphone through a mic pre.

I'm going to take a guess here and assume you're asking if a standalone mic pre would be better than the pre in your converter unit. The answer to that depends on the converter unit you're using and the standalone pre you'd use instead.
__________________
Jim

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Hasbro Hasbro is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 529
Default

Thanks for pointing out what I need to clarify. I mean really more for live sound. Will there be much of an improvement going into a mixer or a small PA like a Bose S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking here. For recording, you'd have to run any microphone through a mic pre.

I'm going to take a guess here and assume you're asking if a standalone mic pre would be better than the pre in your converter unit. The answer to that depends on the converter unit you're using and the standalone pre you'd use instead.
__________________
really likes guitars
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2019, 06:37 PM
jim1960 jim1960 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Thanks for pointing out what I need to clarify. I mean really more for live sound. Will there be much of an improvement going into a mixer or a small PA like a Bose S1
Others will have to weigh in on that. I responded because your original post said, "For purposes of recording..."
Live sound is another beast and I leave that to others when I perform.
__________________
Jim

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Al Acuff's Avatar
Al Acuff Al Acuff is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 466
Default

Hi. I owned a DPA 4099. If you are playing live I don't imagine a stand alone mic preamp would make much difference.

If you want better live sound try using a quality condenser microphone on a stand. The 4099 doesn't give you a lot of choice in mic placement. It puts the mic very close to one part of your guitar. I tried my 4099 for recording (with a good preamp) and compared it with a Microtech Gefell M300 placed on a mic stand in front of the guitar. It wasn't even close. The M300 sounded far better. I sold the 4099.

We all have different needs and preferences. If the 4099 works for you then my advice is save your money. A preamp won't make much difference unless you are recording. In a recording studio with a good preamp you'll be better off with a different microphone that picks up all of the guitar's sound. That's my 2 cents based on my own experiments. Your mileage may vary.
__________________
Al Acuff
Al's Folk Music Blog
Alan Acuff Music
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 AM
Hasbro Hasbro is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Hi. I owned a DPA 4099. If you are playing live I don't imagine a stand alone mic preamp would make much difference.

If you want better live sound try using a quality condenser microphone on a stand. The 4099 doesn't give you a lot of choice in mic placement. It puts the mic very close to one part of your guitar. I tried my 4099 for recording (with a good preamp) and compared it with a Microtech Gefell M300 placed on a mic stand in front of the guitar. It wasn't even close. The M300 sounded far better. I sold the 4099.

We all have different needs and preferences. If the 4099 works for you then my advice is save your money. A preamp won't make much difference unless you are recording. In a recording studio with a good preamp you'll be better off with a different microphone that picks up all of the guitar's sound. That's my 2 cents based on my own experiments. Your mileage may vary.
Okay well thank you for helping me figure that out. I'm going to be experimenting with microphones but thinking maybe the Audio-Technica alternative to the DPA would be a good starting point and then try a more distant microphone like you suggested.
__________________
really likes guitars
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Wengr Wengr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeast Penna.
Posts: 1,964
Default

I have a DPA 4099G. I have never thought of it as recording tool, although I assume one could achieve some decent results. However just because it's clipped to the guitar, I don't think the preamp factor changes. Imho, it's about 95+ source/room/placement/mic, and less than 5% pre.

Anyway for me the dpa is a live tool, and it usually sounds great, and then the clip pops off and it doesn't sound at all. Rinse and repeat.
I wonder if there is a way to use the DPA 4099 with the Audio Technica clamp?
__________________
Sobell Model 1 ----- Martin D41
Sobell six string archtop ---- Lowden O25
Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis ----Martin OM-21 Special
Eastman John Pisano ---- Franklin Prairie State

Last edited by Wengr; 07-28-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2019, 06:53 AM
Hasbro Hasbro is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 529
Default

I read this a lot. Painter's tape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I have a DPA 4099G. I have never thought of it as recording tool, although I assume one could achieve some decent results. However just because it's clipped to the guitar, I don't think the preamp factor changes. Imho, it's about 95+ source/room/placement/mic, and less than 5% pre.

Anyway for me the dpa is a live tool, and it usually sounds great, and then the clip pops off and it doesn't sound at all. Rinse and repeat.
I wonder if there is a way to use the DPA 4099 with the Audio Technica clamp?
__________________
really likes guitars
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 PM
Wengr Wengr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeast Penna.
Posts: 1,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I read this a lot. Painter's tape?
Yep that's actually what I do. Blue tape. It's a bit disconcerting to apply tape to a Franklin or Sobel. I have a Lowden that I'm afraid to try it on due to the grained finish.
__________________
Sobell Model 1 ----- Martin D41
Sobell six string archtop ---- Lowden O25
Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis ----Martin OM-21 Special
Eastman John Pisano ---- Franklin Prairie State
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=