The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Suggestion needed...

I’d love to see what the general consensus is regarding....

1. What’s the preferred in case humidifier these days? I used to use the oasis system...but it’s been a minute since I’ve needed to humidify an acoustic.

2. Recommended acoustic DI. Again, I’ve had no need for one for years. I think I still have a cheapie Behringer AD di somewhere...?

Anyway, I’d appreciate any suggestions/recommendations offered.

Thx!
PT
Old 05-05-2019, 12:43 AM

Talking

I bought a few of these and I no longer worry about humidifying
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-PW-H.../dp/B000OMG0KI
Old 05-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

For your second question you might try putting a thread in the AGF recording section, and put "DI advice wanted" in the title to help get people focused.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

I have the $20 Behringer DI box and it does everything I need it to do. No reason to get fancy on a DI box, you just need some basic impedance matching and ground lift after all.

For in case humidifiers, I have been buying the cheap Chinese ones that go between the strings. The old Planet Waves ones were really good, but they switched to a cheap yellow sponge that doesn't hold much water. (the old green phenolic foam ones were great). The Music Nomad is ok, but again, the sponge does not hold that much water.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM

I too have the inexpensive Behinger DI box, which has covered all my needs. As for the humidifying device, my long time staple was the perforated soap dish with a dampened sponge. Then about three years ago I switched the sponge out for water beads in the same containers.

The beads hold considerably more water volume and last 4-6 times as long. Fazool has some excellent threads on water beads and homemade humidifiers, if you do some searching. The one caveat for the beads is that they get really small when dry - they go from about 3/8" diameter wet down to less than a BB size and can fall out through larger holes in the soap dish. Some old pantyhose material contain them nicely.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Put me down as another very satisfied user of the Humiditrak/Humidipaks System...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion