The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Maybe the simplest answer is the best, a lot of people don't like the way they sound.
Well that's not it of course, many folks love the tone of current CF guitars and if they were more popular there would be many variations just like there are in wood guitars.

IMO it has to do with material costs and manufacturing difficulty. A builder can buy the materials needed to build three Rosewood/Spruce Dreadnoughts for the cost of the materials needed to make one Rainsong. And while just about anyone can put together a guitar kit from Martin, the same can't be said for a carbon fiber guitar.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Well that's not it of course, many folks love the tone of current CF guitars and if they were more popular there would be many variations just like there are in wood guitars.

IMO it has to do with material costs and manufacturing difficulty. A builder can buy the materials needed to build three Rosewood/Spruce Dreadnoughts for the cost of the materials needed to make one Rainsong. And while just about anyone can put together a guitar kit from Martin, the same can't be said for a carbon fiber guitar.
They are priced in the same range as good quality wood guitars, so cost to the buyer is about the same. Buyers seem more than willing to pay more for upgraded materials on wood guitars. I think everyone gets the durability thing, just not willing to trade off sound to get it.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
They are priced in the same range as good quality wood guitars, so cost to the buyer is about the same. Buyers seem more than willing to pay more for upgraded materials on wood guitars. I think everyone gets the durability thing, just not willing to trade off sound to get it.
It's not a sound trade-off at all. CF guitars have a range of tones among the manufacturers and models, just like wood guitars, which many players actually like…a lot. The CF tone palette has a legitimate place in the broad guitar industry. It's nice to have that choice.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Personally, if I was going to drop a couple grand on an acoustic, I would like it to look like wood, even if carbon fiber sounded better. For me it's purely visual, I'll take carbon fiber over wood on my sports cars any day though.

Edit: Maybe you could trick me by putting a veneer on the cf... but I do think cf is a beautiful thing...

Last edited by Azaro Ariño; 12-09-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Give them a few generations before wooden guitars become collectible relics.

Keep in mind that there are still a few old timers who use typewriters. And desktop computers ;-)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 PM

CF seems to evoke some of the same feelings as Ovations.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

This is my experience with the sound of CF vs Wood. I had a Santa Cruz OM/PW, the sound was not what I would call good. I bought a RS, my wife said that it sounded better than the SC. I agree. You know women don't lie. LOL

Of course my Martin 000 sounds better than the SC did too....my point is only that I don't see a big issue with the difference in sound of the CF. It's really a personal thing, same as 000 vs dread etc. My RS sounds fantastic. to me.

I think that there has not been enough exposure of the CF guitars in the marketplace. For whatever reason.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
CF seems to evoke some of the same feelings as Ovations.
I think that's true, I grew up with Ovations still think they are underrated guitars. Guess I am always rooting for the underdog? I do think carbon carries the touch of Charles Kaman's innovative spirit. Ovation was one of the first to use CF.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Living in Louisiana, where it's hot and humid, I've really wanted to fall in love with a CF guitar - it sure would make life a lot easier, e.g., no more dehumidifying, etc. I've gone to the music store three times, spent plenty time playing both Rainsong and CA guitars, lots of different models. In the end, I just can't stand the clinical, anemic sound. I gave 'em a good try and maybe it's the way I play.....
To my ears my Rainsongs sound anything but clinical or anemic. I hear them as very warm and full, just not 'woody'.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:23 AM

Asking why carbon fiber hasn't broken into the mainstream is like asking why hasn't Soylent replaced food.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
It's not a sound trade-off at all. CF guitars have a range of tones among the manufacturers and models, just like wood guitars, which many players actually like…a lot. The CF tone palette has a legitimate place in the broad guitar industry. It's nice to have that choice.
I agree its nice to have the choice, but the question posed here is more about why don't people make that choice. I suspect more than any prejudice or association with Ovation or desire to have wood, it probably is a combination of sound and looks.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 AM

Personally, it's been a matter of cost and selection. For others it may be a matter of visibility and advertising, ie, much of the playing public is unaware of them. I'm sorely tempted by the CA Cargo because I need and want a durable second/student/travel/beater/beach guitar, but that's it.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I agree its nice to have the choice, but the question posed here is more about why don't people make that choice. I suspect more than any prejudice or association with Ovation or desire to have wood, it probably is a combination of sound and looks.
Probably the simple truth, there is a beauty to wood that is undeniable. Alistairs favorite guitars are his wood veneers. That probably alone says a lot. Ironically I find them not really to my liking cause I truly think in the bright light his reflective weave is as good as it gets on stage. And I do love peoples reaction to how a guitar sound comes out of something so different from what they are used to seeing.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind42 View Post
Asking why carbon fiber hasn't broken into the mainstream is like asking why hasn't Soylent replaced food.
And, in the same sense, telling you out tastes just as good and lasts forever without spoiling isn't going to sell you on it, is it?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Maybe the simplest answer is the best, a lot of people don't like the way they sound.
"Sound" is completely subjective.

I have been playing acoustic guitars for 40 years, which include, Martin, Gibson, Grammer, Gurian, Ovation, Taylor, Takamine, Rainsong.

I can say that the sound of my Rainsong H-DR1000N2 is much more versatile, adjustable, sustainable, than any of my Wood trophy's. I have yet to find any "old traditionalist" that isn't pleasantly surprised when they play my Rainsong.

I wouldn't say the CA's are better than my Rosewood/spruce axes, just more sustain-ably versatile.
If I played these days for the coins, I would play my Rainsong.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

Last edited by Finger Stylish; 12-10-2013 at 07:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber