The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I think every suggestion should be taken with a grain of salt but all suggestions should be listened to and evaluated with an objective (as much as possible) eye/ear. 9 times out of ten there is a consensus if a song is lacking. And when, in a room of 5-15 people, all agree, it’s best to let go of any attachment and rework your song.
True. Having a thick skin is a prerequisite to attending those kinds of meetings and not every suggestion will be a good one. But the local meetup I attended was usually interesting and tried to offer constructive criticism in a friendly manner. No one was trying to upstage anyone and the person running it kept things moving along.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
How many of you make songs with just the vocals and acoustic guitar? I write my songs starting with acoustic guitar, and I also record them that way. And then I might try to add other instruments, but I really prefer the songs with just the guitar and voice. What's your view on uploading these simply versions to Spotify and other streaming services?

/Per
I'd have to ask what the point of doing so would be. Anything done well is worth doing. If in your mind it's done well and you want to share it then do so.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-24-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

If a person can pull off a great version of a song with just one guitar and one voice, it can be pretty magic.

For example:

I do most of my YouTube recordings with just guitar and voice. Sometimes I add a harmony voice, sometimes drums, bass and additional guitar. My YouTube performances that have the most views are all just one voice, one guitar.

I'm not trying to sell anything these days, just trying to keep my hand in making music.

Sometimes I'm driven to want to add more instruments, such as the one below.

But this one, just a guitar and voice has many more views...

Best of luck in your efforts!

- Glenn
Old 08-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
If a person can pull off a great version of a song with just one guitar and one voice, it can be pretty magic.
One Glenn doing a cover of one of my favorite Glens. Campbell is the reason that I wanted to learn how to play. Your version here is very nice.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:21 AM

Just a quick tip assuming you have the gear to multitrack: record a good take with guitar and vocal on one track. Then use this as a guide to record a tight guitar only track, then record a vocal track, then throw away your original guide track and you will most likely have a version of your song which is tighter and has better vocals.
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I have and still attend meet-ups for song criticism. It’s both fun and educational, especially if the other participants are skilled writers. I think every suggestion should be taken with a grain of salt but all suggestions should be listened to and evaluated with an objective (as much as possible) eye/ear. 9 times out of ten there is a consensus if a song is lacking. And when, in a room of 5-15 people, all agree, it’s best to let go of any attachment and rework your song.
I once read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember the writer....) that when a critique says there's something wrong with a piece or a part of a piece they are almost always right, but they are also not usually right about what is wrong or what needs to be done to improve it. I found this a useful observation when someone thinks something you think is a favorite or essential part of a piece is the bad part. The first part is the key part though, particularly if you have good open-hearted people doing the critique.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
One Glenn doing a cover of one of my favorite Glens. Campbell is the reason that I wanted to learn how to play. Your version here is very nice.
Off topic: but do we need set up a GoFundMe for" GlennDoesGlen(n)"?

Of course Glen Campbell.
And Glenn Frey, Glen Hansard

but also...
Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket
Glenn Hughes*
Glenn Miller

Maybe even an instrumental track, something from a popular recording by Glenn Gould.

If it's a solo record, then one could add the haunting traditional song:

The Lonely Glens of Yarrow.

*"Soldier of Fortune" would fit Glenn's range, but it's not by G. Hughes alas.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
Just a quick tip assuming you have the gear to multitrack: record a good take with guitar and vocal on one track. Then use this as a guide to record a tight guitar only track, then record a vocal track, then throw away your original guide track and you will most likely have a version of your song which is tighter and has better vocals.
While this is not necessary (a great many classic solo folk albums were not recorded this way, just live tracked) it is a great tip that can improve things.

A large part of if solo guitar and voice works comes down to the three components. Most important is the voice. Someone with an attractive and or charismatic voice can absolutely make this work. Secondarily the song, even a voice that isn't top notch can be carried by a compelling song. Lastly the guitar part can sometimes for some audiences carry the song even if the other two parts are so-so, but it's a smaller component most times and when it carries the song it likely to a smaller audience.

I need to struggle with this because my voice doesn't really work. I should follow Klimski's tip more often myself, because concentrating on the vocal is the correct focus for best or largest audience involvement.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Off topic: but do we need set up a GoFundMe for" GlennDoesGlen(n)"?

Of course Glen Campbell.
And Glenn Frey, Glen Hansard

but also...
Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket
Glenn Hughes*
Glenn Miller

Maybe even an instrumental track, something from a popular recording by Glenn Gould.

If it's a solo record, then one could add the haunting traditional song:

The Lonely Glens of Yarrow.

*"Soldier of Fortune" would fit Glenn's range, but it's not by G. Hughes alas.
Glenn might be hitting the Glenfiddich sooner than later.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-30-2019, 06:52 PM

Getting back to the original question, just guitar and vocals or a slew of instruments and sounds, I think the answer is: it depends on the song. I’m no great songwriter but some of what I do feels best simple, some feels better with a bigger sound.
Same goes for many of my favorite artists and bands. Most rock and alternative bands (my favorite genres) will mix both over the course of their albums/ careers.
My (off key) 2 cents
Old 09-25-2019, 03:59 AM

I actually wish there was more single guitar, single voice recordings!

Something I really want to hear is a Martin Simpson album that is just him and a guitar, recorded live in a great sounding room with a great engineer - no extra backing vocals, no extra guitar parts, no concertinas - just voice and guitar.

I recorded my last EP like this - live in the studio, no overdubs, no edits, one guitar and one voice played at the same time. I'm not saying it's the best way to do things but I feel that I'm a solo singer/songwriter, and that's what my recordings should reflect.

You can hear it here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4f8sI...SAqLdMDTRnB2oQ

For my next recording I might add a track of DI'd guitar that I could run through a little amp and maybe a delay pedal in a few places - this is something I do live occasionally to 'spice' up the sound a bit - but it will still be a solo live recording.

If you want to hear a modern folk album that is recorded like this and is really good, then Jack Rutter's album from last year 'Hills' is great:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4FHQP...R7eP0xXdJdiDPA
Old 09-26-2019, 01:05 PM

Default And take 2

Quote:
I start off with guitar and vocals just so i can take a step back and see if the song is lacking or if it needs works both musically and/or lyrically

If, after i record it, then work on it some more, I will lay down guitar to a click track or rhythm track, then add vocals. If after this step it still moves me I will might add some bass and rythem tracks, if the song calls for it. Some songs work ok with just guitar and vocal, but some songs just need more..... (drums base, etc). I try to keep it mimilistic, but sometimes i get carried away and add way to much.

Also. I’ve come to accept that my recordings/songs wills never sound like they do in my head, and I’ve learned to accept that that is ok
Yup, MBrody, I know exactly what you mean as this is just what I do. I’m sure I’ve over-worked a fair few of my songs. One day (really, one day) I will re-record everything I’ve written. Having performed them all live as a solo acoustic act, I have a much better appreciation of what works and what is unnecessary.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I am no expert, and like you, I generally record for a few family and friends. I do have a website, but that's just to make it easier to share. I do quite a few songs with just guitar and vocals. But, I also throw in a few that have more instruments in them. I like to really change my sound around so it doesn't get too boring. But I'm also bad about my songs being too long too.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminuk View Post
Yup, MBrody, I know exactly what you mean as this is just what I do. I’m sure I’ve over-worked a fair few of my songs. One day (really, one day) I will re-record everything I’ve written. Having performed them all live as a solo acoustic act, I have a much better appreciation of what works and what is unnecessary.
that's a great point. having the opportunity to play the songs out for a while really helps one evaluate the strength and weekends of each song. And if it's a good sounding room you might just be able to get a good live recording
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 09-26-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
that's a great point. having the opportunity to play the songs out for a while really helps one evaluate the strength and weekends of each song. And if it's a good sounding room you might just be able to get a good live recording
Good points, an interesting anecdote. Back when I was gigging fairly regularly and Digital and midi had really come on say 15 years ago at least 40% to 50% of the venues I solicited for gigs (who had not heard me) and because I was a solo acoustic guitar and vocal performer, requested that I send them a CD with just guitar and vocal and no added instruments, so they could hear what I would sound like live at the venue and not in the studio .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD