The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-11-2002, 07:45 AM

Default Looking for blues resources

Anybody know of any good online resources for blues? I'm trying to get out of the same ol' bag.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:13 AM

The latest Acoustic Guitar Magazine has an article on on-line blues resources, you might want to check it out.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:55 PM

Smile

Looking for blues resources?

?????

Fall in love.
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-13-2002, 09:18 PM

Or watch your wife run off with someone else. OUCH!

414 LOTF MACE
Big Baby
Tacoma EMC9
Old 04-14-2002, 01:06 AM

Unhappy

Or fall in love with someone and then watch her run off with your wife.. it makes me blue just to think about it.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:14 AM

OUCH ... Hmmmm.... I think I'll stick to faking the Blues. Maybe I should yank a nose hair like they do in Hollywood.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:03 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Fodderstompf
Or fall in love with someone and then watch her run off with your wife.. it makes me blue just to think about it.
I'm still trying to figure this one out?!?!?!?!?!?
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-16-2002, 06:19 PM

Question

Papaparm.....

What exactly is the same ol' bag?

Are we talking electric? acoustic?

I suppose it doesn't matter much....

A big rut for many people is that their introduction to the blues is based soley upon the minor pentatonic (or blues scale).....

those scales introduced as silly dots on paper....or fingering patterns....or whatever.....

they don't understand how the notes of the scales relate to the chords they are playing...

etc...etc...blah blah....

The blues scale doesn't contain any contrast of major and minor.........R, b3, p4, b5, p5, b7, and back to the root....

It's like Bert without Ernie.

Archie without Meathead.

Mix me baby.....mix me....

You want to get to the point where you understand the mixolydian as the 'home base' for dominant chords....(since dominant chords form the basis of the blues)

Easy.

then you've got a lot more colors on your artist paints blobbed all over the place whatever those things they hold while painting are......

.....that's a good sentence.....

Sarah?

Gimme cookie.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:48 AM

. . . artist's palette . . .
Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 PM

Smile

there you go.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:06 PM

Smile

Goldilocks knew the bears could play well....

so one day...when the bears were out to Mama Theresa Gianchetti's...chowin' down on some salmon and berry pizza....

she unlawfully did enter....

relax...relax....nobody's gonna shoot her....

wrong thread, Daddy.....

OOOOOOOhhhhh....these scales are too linear.....

OOOoohhhhhhh.....these *&^*((**&& intervals are too(**& to &^%$$$% 876666666657879&^%%%%%%%%.....

Goldilocks!?!?!?!??!?! Shame on you.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.....these triads are just right for learning the fretboard.....
Old 04-18-2002, 02:05 PM

Trees -

Actually, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The Blues Scale has gotten monotonous. I try to break the monotony in my soloing by throwing in chromatics and notes outside of the scale that "feel right". The I - IV - V thing is something that I want to get beyond. So there is this place where chording and soloing are more closely related. That is the place that I'm trying to get to. It seems like that this is more of an acoustic thing though, or something that you could do on a cleaner toned electric. I guess the bottom line is that I have been bored with my stock blues 70's rock lick/riffing thing played with a Les Paul in the high gain style.

Mixolidian as the "home base" for dominant chords... hmmmm... I'll break out the theory book and work at it.

thanks,
papaparm(?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell