The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Great read, thank you. I was real curious about those guitars and now I know I need to try one! I'm wondering if those bridge pins would sound better on a few of my others. Maybe I will give them a try too.

JR
Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’m claiming Martin ignorance. Where does the reimagined series fit into this? What’s the difference?
Well... In truth, not that much. The re-imagined series use "standard" forward shifted scalloped braced Sitka Spruce tops with standard white glue and a medium sized maple bridge plate. That means they sound like great Martins. The new Modern Deluxe models just use slightly lighter bracing, "aged"/baked wood tops and top bracing, and protein glue - that dries harder, the new carbon fiber plate, titanium truss rod. It makes it a little livelier, increases the sustain, and volume. But, that's on paper. How it translates in the real world depends on the specific guitar and ears.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Great read, thank you. I was real curious about those guitars and now I know I need to try one! I'm wondering if those bridge pins would sound better on a few of my others. Maybe I will give them a try too.

JR
Thank you!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 PM

I played the D18 version a few months back & was impressed.
Very nice guitar.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Nice review Dave. Congrats on the new MD! Just curious...what did you let go of?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
When Martin “reimagined” the Standard Series, they incorporated many features from their “Vintage” models then discontinued them. For example, a reimagined HD28 is for all intents and purposes an HD28V with the modern neck. This left a natural void in their lineup between the Standards and the much pricier Authentics. The MDs can be viewed as hotrodded Standards. It’s a factory option package, like buying a Z06 instead of a standard Vette. Same bones, more performance. That said, some people don’t like stiff suspensions and forced induction engines.

One important note about the 000-28 model....Have you ever tried to find one with 1/4” scalloped bracing? For some unknown reason, Martin braces the Standard 000-28 like a Dreadnought (5-16”). The 000-28MD, with 1/4” VTS-Adi, GE Scalloped bracing bonded to the top with protein glue is the lightest braced 000-28 in the modern era.
I see you remembered that I’m a Vette guy! That was a great explanation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Well... In truth, not that much. The re-imagined series use "standard" forward shifted scalloped braced Sitka Spruce tops with standard white glue and a medium sized maple bridge plate. That means they sound like great Martins. The new Modern Deluxe models just use slightly lighter bracing, "aged"/baked wood tops and top bracing, and protein glue - that dries harder, the new carbon fiber plate, titanium truss rod. It makes it a little livelier, increases the sustain, and volume. But, that's on paper. How it translates in the real world depends on the specific guitar and ears.
I don’t see how you could get more volume and sustain than my Reimagined D-41! It’s a cannon that is on the borderline of “too much sustain”! I don’t think I’d want more!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Nice review Dave. Congrats on the new MD! Just curious...what did you let go of?
I sold the Standard HD-28. Lovely guitar, but the sustain, power, and fat trebles of the D-28MD were more appealing. Oddly enough, the neck sealed the deal.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Great review, Dave! Thoughtful and useful. I’m looking forward to playing one at some point. I’m still so smitten with my reimagined D-41, though, that my GAS level is way low.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Thank you for a very informative review!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Great review, Dave! Thoughtful and useful. I’m looking forward to playing one at some point. I’m still so smitten with my reimagined D-41, though, that my GAS level is way low.
I think for you and TNFiddler, it's unlikely that these new models would persuade you from abandoning those pretty D-41s. They are also the creme de la creme. That said, I'm curious to see where they take this line of guitars in the future.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think for you and TNFiddler, it's unlikely that these new models would persuade you from abandoning those pretty D-41s. They are also the creme de la creme. That said, I'm curious to see where they take this line of guitars in the future.
To me, the 41 is a PERFECT instrument!! No way I’d want to replace it!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

martingitdave...maybe I missed it in your review or a post thereafter, but did you A/B the Modern Deluxe against the D-28 Standard? Did the MD D-28 have a more "chimey" tone...more mid-to-high focused tone than the Standard model?

That's what kind of turned me off when I checked out the MD OM-28, then went home and played my Standard OM-28, which only had ebony bridge pins as far as mods. I'm pretty sure the strings on my guitar (D'Addario EJ16's) were newer than the strings on the MD at the shop...but that shouldn't have made a huge difference. But...I'm quite sure the titanium bridge pins, the carbon fiber bridge plate and titanium truss rod DO make a difference. I just didn't like the MD sound, at least on the OM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:39 PM

Great review!
I got the 000-28MD a little over a month ago and I love love love love love it. It's just perfect in tone, size, feel and aesthetics. I also love the maple binding, and I do love the abalone logo on the headstock. The neck is divine and almost rivals my Taylors in comfort. I'm super happy with it and I can picture myself growing old with my 000-28MD.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Dave, That was the most superb, well-done review I've seen in a long time. Thnk you for your thoughtful insight. I have not tried the MD-28. I did however briefly strum a D-18MD and the OM-28MD. I was first taken back at how Light they were. That was very impressive. They were also very resonant with great projection with a light touch.

I did not care for the skinny neck ...but that was based on 2 minutes of noodling to hear what they sounded like. It's entirely possible if I played one for a while I might forget about the neck. But man, it sure felt shallow and skinny. That is purely a preference thing. I don't take issue with the MLO/PA neck as many do, so it goes to show we are all different.

I am really happy for you.

The whole Pickup/amplification matter is a quandary. All Pick-up solutions come with some sort of trade-off. I don't think I would be happy with a Lyric in the long run. I demoed my Martin Outlaw with the K&K PWM again a couple of days ago. I hate it. And I have Baggs Align EQ/preamp and Baggs Align Session DI on my board. But that's a side-bar. I don't want to de-rail you NGD that is all about your new Martin D-28MD. Congrats my friend.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM

Thank You for a very in depth review. I really want to demo one of those, just can't find a store with one in stock. I think a road trip might be in order.

That's the last thing the wife is going to want to hear......Note to self, next time she goes off with her sisters that's when we make are move AAAAHHH.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion