The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Default Fishman loudbox exterior tearing

It seems the leather-like covering on my Performer is deteriorating. All I have to do is rub it with the soft tip of my finger and it leaves a permanent scar.

It's only 3 years old and rarely been out of the house.

Anyone else dealing with this "soft" covering tearing?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 PM

It is absolutely terrible. The thinnest, most fragile exterior on a piece of equipment that I've ever seen.

The previous model design was built like a tank. I don't know what they were thinking with this covering (I'd never call it tolex - it seems like it's been sprayed on and only one coat). It definitely needs to have an external protective cover and even then...

I used a roll of gaffer tape to tilt the amp up a little on a milk crate and when I lifted the amp up at the end of the night a gaffer tape-sized piece peeled off the bottom. After 3 years, my Loudbox Artist looks like it's been through a war.

When I opened up the chassis to deal with a problem, as I took off the protective corners, a piece of the covering peeled off with the plastic corner.

The amp works well for what I use it for. It has lots of mojo, and makes me look like I'm a road-worn musician rather than just a weekend player. I'm definitely a glass half-full person, but if you like to keep your gear pristine, I'd advise against this one.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 12-01-2016, 01:35 PM

I just sent a message to Fishman support. Let's see what they say about it.

I wonder how much trouble it would be to tear it all off and replace it with something better?

Last edited by chitz; 12-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Yo Chitz,

I've had the same issues with mine...I have 4 Loudbox's; 2 Performers, 1 Artist & a Mini. I mostly use 2 Performers in tandem for my larger shows & they've done hundreds of shows over the years. I've blown the subwoofers a few times too. So in response to both issues, Frank at Fishman was awesome in replacing the woofers always no charge and also recommended Tuki Custom amp covers over the thin Fishman covers.
So I called Tuki and they made me two thick padded water-proof covers (Florida rain has caught me many times as I'm sure you've experienced playin' Tiki bars) My oldest Performer's top has peeled almost all off, but I love everything else about these amps and the Tuki covers have helped tremendously.Here's the site: http://www.tukicovers.com/

Here's my setup with Tuki amp covers to the inside of each Loudbox Performer

Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM

I had a Loudbox Mini for a while and the covering shed if you looked at it wrong. Buddy of mine wore all the covering off of his...under the handle. Just the friction of his hand reaching through the handle was enough to wear it off.

So yes, this excessive wear and tearing is typical. Perhaps the lamest covering on any amp I have seen.

hunter
Old 12-01-2016, 04:50 PM

I have a Fishman loudbox mini, two years old and it looks like it has been used as a dog bone. I swear if I sneeze near it, a small tear appears. As an amp it is fantastic but it looks like crap. Trying to work up the courage to take it apart and refinish it. There must be plywood under that cheap coating, maybe some stain and polyurethane would make it look better.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:20 PM

This is unacceptable. I'm awaiting a reply from Fishman.

I doubt they're going to do anything with a 2-3 year old amp, but clearly this is a manufacturing defect.

I wish it were just mine doing it. I'm saddened to see so many others coming apart.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

My Artist is pretty much the same, you look at it and a piece comes off, AND I have a Fishman cover for it too...
Great amp, terrible covering... surprised a good company like Fishman would allow this.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
The previous model design was built like a tank.
This. Mine is still going strong after 12 years. (There is a small tear in the exterior but that was caused by an accident that would've damaged any kind of cover.) I'm sorry to hear the newer designs aren't as robust.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
This is unacceptable. I'm awaiting a reply from Fishman.

I doubt they're going to do anything with a 2-3 year old amp, but clearly this is a manufacturing defect.

I wish it were just mine doing it. I'm saddened to see so many others coming apart.
It's called Profit Margin. IMO it's not a manufacturing defect but rather an effort to squeeze every penny (yuan?) of profit out of the raw component cost of a product. Fishman doesn't manufacture the amps; they design them and get 'em built by a subcontractor over in the Pacific Rim - just like Fender and many other amp companies.

If it were me, I'd take the amp apart, scrape the imitation Tolex covering off the case, paint it (or spray it) with Flex Seal and be done with it.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
It's called Profit Margin. IMO it's not a manufacturing defect but rather an effort to squeeze every penny (yuan?) of profit out of the raw component cost of a product. Fishman doesn't manufacture the amps; they design them and get 'em built by a subcontractor over in the Pacific Rim - just like Fender and many other amp companies.

If it were me, I'd take the amp apart, scrape the imitation Tolex covering off the case, paint it (or spray it) with Flex Seal and be done with it.
Although you make a good point, the unacceptable part to me is that Fishman has been using this covering for quite some time now. It's so easy for them to replace the new covering with something more durable, even at the same price point. Other companies do it so the cost cutting arguments doesn't really apply.

I too would take the amp apart and do my own covering. It's fairly easy to do that type of things these days and I am sure that there are companies out there that could do it for a good price. They might not be amp manufacturers but I am sure they could do it.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Guest 33123

My friend Jan has the Mini and the Performer and when I was in the market for an amp she warned me about the covering. She told me it tears very easily so I went with another product. It's a shame because I really, really liked their amps. I thought they sounded great.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Here's the reply from Fishman...

I'm sorry for the trouble you've had. We can get the amp back here and replace the cabinet for you. I’ve attached our Fishman RA form. Please fill out this form and email it back to me and I will create an RA for you. You’ll then receive a follow up email with your RA number and shipping instructions. Keep in mind that we have a standard repair charge of $50.00 plus return shipping for the repair of non-warranty items. If you have any questions, please let me know.

That's about what I was expecting. And that price is probably fair, but I wouldn't want a new case with the same pleather on it.

When it gets real ugly, I'll just recover it myself in tolex or zebra striped vinyl.

They still make great amps. But... I won't buy another one with this covering on it.

Last edited by chitz; 12-03-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:19 AM

Fishman amps in the guitar store here in Philippines have the same issue - the tolex falls apart . And these are still on display/unsold. really poor quality tolex

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 12-04-2016, 03:39 PM

I looked online for Tolex today and it's relatively inexpensive. $20 will buy more than enough to do an amp.

Comes in some funky colors too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification