The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-01-2018, 05:47 PM

Wow - Toronto and Nylander signed a contract just a few minutes before Nylander would have had to sit the entire season out. 6 year contract, $41.4 M. Great contract for someone who's only played 2 years.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:02 AM

Seattle has officially got an NHL team and will start to play in the 2021-2022 season. There are 13 team names that have been trademarked for possible use. I like Kraken and Rainers
Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Seattle has officially got an NHL team and will start to play in the 2021-2022 season. There are 13 team names that have been trademarked for possible use. I like Kraken and Rainers
30 months and counting until the expansion draft.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
This is going to make a good rivalry between Vancouver and Seattle. I am looking forward to it. I like Kraken as well, but I really doubt they will pick it.

The amount of money involved is staggering.

In 1974 the NHL wanted $8 million as expansion fee.
In 1990 the NHL wanted $50 million as expansion fee.
In 2018 the NHL wanted $650 million as expansion fee...and is going to get it.

PLUS $800 million for the renovation of KeyArena (now Seattle Center Arena). So $1.45 billion...yikes. At least the money is coming from private/business sources rather than public sources. I am totally against government getting involved in ANY paying for sports teams. I do not want a penny of my tax dollars going to pay for a sports business. Either a franchise is a viable business, or it is not.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
30 months and counting until the expansion draft.
Yep, Guessing the NHL won't change the draft rules because they want a competitive team from day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
This is going to make a good rivalry between Vancouver and Seattle. I am looking forward to it. I like Kraken as well, but I really doubt they will pick it.

The amount of money involved is staggering.

In 1974 the NHL wanted $8 million as expansion fee.
In 1990 the NHL wanted $50 million as expansion fee.
In 2018 the NHL wanted $650 million as expansion fee...and is going to get it.

PLUS $800 million for the renovation of KeyArena (now Seattle Center Arena). So $1.45 billion...yikes. At least the money is coming from private/business sources rather than public sources. I am totally against government getting involved in ANY paying for sports teams. I do not want a penny of my tax dollars going to pay for a sports business. Either a franchise is a viable business, or it is not.
So much money. Las Vegas was $500M and now it's already up to $650M. I can't see Quebec City coming up with that, that's $865M CAD
Old 12-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Wow - Buffalo had the most points in the NHL a few days ago and now they've lost 4 in a row. They're still ahead of my Bruins and Penguins though.

McDavid with a 4 point night. He's one guy that's exciting to watch (although I didn't see him last night).
Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Flames fan here, reporting from Calgary!

Great to see the Flames doing so well. Also great to see the Oilers turning it around, under Hitchcock. The league needs these two franchises, to be good, for their rivalry to be one of the best in all sports. I am also happy the Jets continue to improve. The Leafs doing so well, Canada may actually have a team (or two!) in the Cup Final. Would be great for hockey, for the NHL, no matter anyone's allegiances...

Vegas is beginning to roll. With a few more moves, the Sabres and Avs could be dominant teams, very soon. Great season so far - the East is pretty tight, when it comes to the wildcard spots. Being a NY'er, my forever soft spot for the Isles... It's good to see them in the wildcard mix, after losing Tavares.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Stoked! Good morning. AS of last week Seattle was granted a hockey expansion team. I am so happy as I remember the only pro team we had a while back, the Totems. When I was a kid I loved to go watch them.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Flames fan here, reporting from Calgary!

Great to see the Flames doing so well. Also great to see the Oilers turning it around, under Hitchcock. The league needs these two franchises, to be good, for their rivalry to be one of the best in all sports. I am also happy the Jets continue to improve. The Leafs doing so well, Canada may actually have a team (or two!) in the Cup Final. Would be great for hockey, for the NHL, no matter anyone's allegiances...

Vegas is beginning to roll. With a few more moves, the Sabres and Avs could be dominant teams, very soon. Great season so far - the East is pretty tight, when it comes to the wildcard spots. Being a NY'er, my forever soft spot for the Isles... It's good to see them in the wildcard mix, after losing Tavares.
The Islanders are playing some of their games this year back in Long Island. They're getting more fans there than in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Stoked! Good morning. AS of last week Seattle was granted a hockey expansion team. I am so happy as I remember the only pro team we had a while back, the Totems. When I was a kid I loved to go watch them.
$650M for the Seattle team ... wow. Do you think you'll go to any games?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:08 PM

I didn't realize that Joe Thornton shaved his beard in Oct. I thought the beard was so cool. I guess Kadri ripping off 1/4 of his beard during that fight didn't help.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:03 PM

I like Joe a lot better with the beard.

I'll be watching the Sens and Pens tonight. With top-6 forwards Hornqvist and Simon out with injuries, Pens have a couple of AHL guys in the lineup tonight. Looks like Matt Duchene is out for the Sens.

Go Pens!

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I like Joe a lot better with the beard.

I'll be watching the Sens and Pens tonight. With top-6 forwards Hornqvist and Simon out with injuries, Pens have a couple of AHL guys in the lineup tonight. Looks like Matt Duchene is out for the Sens.

Go Pens!
Well, Pens lost 2-1 in OT. How did they play?

Bruins were ahead 6-0 against Toronto and won 6-3. I think the Leafs are 0-2 since Nylander's return.
Edit: it was 4-0, not 6-0.

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 12-09-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Well, Pens lost 2-1 in OT. How did they play?

Bruins were ahead 6-0 against Toronto and won 6-3. I think the Leafs are 0-2 since Nylander's return.
Pens dominated possession and shots on goal; had 2 power plays to the Sens' 5; and lost the game in OT mainly because of taking a careless "too many men on the ice" penalty. I thought Anderson in goal for the Sens was outstanding.

Good to hear the Bruins won. Bergeron, Chara and McAvoy still out?

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Pens dominated possession and shots on goal; had 2 power plays to the Sens' 5; and lost the game in OT mainly because of taking a careless "too many men on the ice" penalty. I thought Anderson in goal for the Sens was outstanding.

Good to hear the Bruins won. Bergeron, Chara and McAvoy still out?
Main thing is that the Pens played well.

McAvoy was back last night. Bergeron and Chara still out as is Miller, one of their key D-men.

Ovechkin is having a good year. He now leads the league in goals.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Main thing is that the Pens played well.

McAvoy was back last night. Bergeron and Chara still out as is Miller, one of their key D-men.

Ovechkin is having a good year. He now leads the league in goals.
Bruins have been resilient, given the significant injuries they've had. Bodes well for them if they can get completely healthy (an oxymoron in the NHL ).

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic