The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Reasons for sync VDO/Audio for music VDO at YouTube?

Anyone kindly share your opinions/reasons for sync VDO/Audio for music VDO at YouTube instead of straight "LIVE" with your camcorders without sync?

Does it really get much better Audio that way for your effort?

And also anyone using "PluralEyes3" and have any impression about that software?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
Anyone kindly share your opinions/reasons for sync VDO/Audio for music VDO at YouTube instead of straight "LIVE" with your camcorders without sync?
Because most camera's audio sounds pretty bad. Because the optimal place for a camera isn't the optimal place for the mics.Because most consumer cameras don't have mic inputs for decent mics or mics that you can place closer.

Quote:
Does it really get much better Audio that way for your effort?
yes

Quote:
And also anyone using "PluralEyes3" and have any impression about that software?
I have used Puraleyes, it works great. I now use Final Cut Pro X on a mac, and it syncs just like puraleyes automatically, so I no longer need it. If I used another video editor, I'd use pluraleyes. If you don't want to spend the $100, clapping and manually syncing works fine, too.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks Doug for your opinions, I just ordered one from EBay (Pluraleyes 3.3). Cheaper than you mentioned. I considered it as the expense of learning something new and having fun with (not to mention better result if I'm able to do it correctly).

I still open for more comments and what not for this sync method and Pluraleyes 3. Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Automatic syncing seems worth an investment if I were in a situation where I'm syncing dozens of clips a day, as in a dramatic or documentary movie. But for a normal "look at me play guitar" video only one sync is needed between one audio track and one or possibly a few video clips. I routinely sync three cameras to one audio track in about five minutes by simply clapping at the start of the shot and looking for the very obvious spike in the audio waveforms. Like anything else, I've gotten better with practice, but it just isn't that hard to do if the NLE (Non-Linear Editor) is reasonably functional.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

There's not a lot to learn about using Pluraleyes. Add your video track(s) and audio to your project, then run pluraleyes - viola, they're in sync. The learning part is probably more about what you can do once you're free to place both camera and mics independently, and how to deal with multiple cameras if you choose to go that route. My comment that "yes, it sounds better" was a bit simplistic, for example. It will sound better IF you can get a good recorded sound with mics, which is its own whole adventure that goes on and on. But it doesn't have anything to do with the actual sync step - as Fran says, a clap works just fine. Something like pluraleyes just saves you maybe a minute or two at the beginning of the editing process.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Thank you Fran and Doug, and yes both of you are right. What I meant by "Learning" is actually learn to edit, manipulate or fool around with the "True" audio file that I will no longer need to via it through the camera or camcorder like I did before.

I just realized that the version that I bought at EBay is the "Download" version, and I just downloaded it at my PC! So I'm ready to venture in this sync land and hopefully having fun doing it. Now what I need to have on hands are at least 1 VDO file and 1 Audio file and then I'll be ready to go
Old 05-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Well, now I'm accomplished with Synchronization (only 1 VDO file and 1 Audio file) but still having problem with "Export Timelines"

So, have to research and learn more to get over this hurdle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD