The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 02:25 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’m wanting a Banjo Killer!
You list one in your signature. Use it!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
You list one in your signature. Use it!
It’s an indoor show and church guitar! Too nice To play outside and get hot and sweaty and take a chance of it getting wet in the rain.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-26-2019, 04:21 PM

In my experience, there are two categories of guitar in the bluegrass world:

Category 1: Martin D-18
Category 2: Everything else
Old 06-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
In my experience, there are two categories of guitar in the bluegrass world:

Category 1: Martin D-18
Category 2: Everything else
You should hear my friends HD28. Best sounding Martin I’ve ever heard.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 PM

My personal favorite in Martins current line up -
the new model D-18 , its woody tone as well as its value -
would be my first choice - it also is a banjo killer -
Id say second would be the HD-28
Old 06-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Honestly, you live in Tennessee, arguably the acoustic guitar capital of the world. Your decision should be hands on, not be born of speculation.

Guitar shopping is fun!
YES!!! THIS!!!^^^

If this is truly your "50th Birthday Special Last Guitar Purchase"...then do it right!!!

Make the drive to Nashville and go to Gruhn's Guitars...tell them what you are doing, what you want, and let them help you play your way into a great guitar, either new or used.

No matter how good our advice here...nothing we can say will be better than you getting a good hands on and EARS on experience, and there IS NO BETTER PLACE on Earth to find what you are after than Gruhn's.

DO IT RIGHT!!!
MAKE THE DRIVE!!!

Thank Mr. Paul and I later {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 06-26-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You should hear my friends HD28. Best sounding Martin I’ve ever heard.
No doubt. And I've played a friend's d-45 custom that was to die for. But on Planet Bluegrass, the d-18 has an unrivaled gravitas, in my experience.

I've migrated from bluegrass to old-time, so please take my observations with appropriate skepticism. But when I attend bluegrass jams/festivals, I'm seeing a preponderance of d-18s. Of course, most jams I drop in on take place outdoors or in barns or maybe even grange halls. Not a lot of d-45s hanging out there. Nor, might I add, are there guitars with pickups.

Last edited by bufflehead; 06-26-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
YES!!! THIS!!!^^^

If this is truly your "50th Birthday Special Last Guitar Purchase"...then do it right!!!

Make the drive to Nashville and go to Gruhn's Guitars...tell them what you are doing, what you want, and let them help you play your way into a great guitar, either new or used.

New matter how good our advice here...nothing we can say will be better than you getting a good hands on and EARS on experience, and there IS NO BETTER PLACE on Earth to find what you are after than Gruhn's.

DO IT RIGHT!!!

MAKE THE DRIVE!!!

duff

I will add a third voice to the notion of this being a hands on, do it in person, adventure.

I would only add that you take your time. You have waited this long. Take the time to get it right (for you).
Old 06-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Honestly, you live in Tennessee, arguably the acoustic guitar capital of the world. Your decision should be hands on, not be born of speculation.

Guitar shopping is fun!
Agree! Have some fun with this.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
YES!!! THIS!!!^^^

No matter how good our advice here...nothing we can say will be better than you getting a good hands on and EARS on experience, and there IS NO BETTER PLACE on Earth to find what you are after than Gruhn's.

DO IT RIGHT!!!
MAKE THE DRIVE!!!

duff
I was just told today about an individual who went their and tried his best to get them to deal with him and they wouldn’t budge on the price. He went straight to Sam Ash and bought the same guitar several hundred dollars cheaper. Don’t know if that’ll be one of my stops. I’ve bought two Taylors from there and could’ve gotten cheaper prices elsewhere. Of course I found that out after the fact.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I've never played one, but everyone and their sister here recommends the D-18.

Happy Birthday!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've never played one, but everyone and their sister here recommends the D-18.

Happy Birthday!
My Bourgeois is a mahogany back and sides guitar, so I’m leaning towards the HD-28. I know I’ll have to break my budget a little bit, but it’ll be worth it to get what I actually want. I’ve always LOVED the look of Herringbone purfling.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I was just told today about an individual who went their and tried his best to get them to deal with him and they wouldn’t budge on the price. He went straight to Sam Ash and bought the same guitar several hundred dollars cheaper. Don’t know if that’ll be one of my stops. I’ve bought two Taylors from there and could’ve gotten cheaper prices elsewhere. Of course I found that out after the fact.
Hi Tnfiddler

Gruhn's will be competative...to a point...on price...BUT...they are NOT a "Price" store...they are a "Value" store.

Meaning, you can go to Gruhn's and get the chance to play guitars, especially vintage guitars, that you will never get to see and play anywhere else, in the number and variety that they have. You can get some of the most expert help that exists in the acoustic guitar retail world. You can get some of the most world class repair and restoration that exists in the entire World...period.

You don't buy from Gruhn's for price, you buy from Gruhn's for the service and value that they provide with the caliber of their inventory and expert help and support, and nobody knows the Bluegrass Music Scene and guitars better than Gruhn's.

You can buy for price anywhere and everywhere these days, especially on the internet. If that is all you are after here...best price out the door to you...then sure, don't bother with Gruhn's...but here you are...asking all of us advice on a supposedly "special and final" purchase...which would seem to make it a very important one...yes?

So wouldn't going to Gruhn's and buying on "value of service" and not just price, and taking advantage of their inventory and their expertise at least be worth considering, and be worth paying less of a "bargain" price, but more of a "value" price to have them help you get a truly great "lifer" bluegrass cannon?

We here on this fine forum can all offer all manner of advice and anecdotes galore, but we can't sit you down and put amazing guitar after amazing guitar in your hands and help you figure out what is really going to work the best for you...in real time. That should be worth $omething???

duff
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Hi Tnfiddler

Gruhn's will be competative...to a point...on price...BUT...they are NOT a "Price" store...they are a "Value" store.

Meaning, you can go to Gruhn's and get the chance to play guitars, especially vintage guitars, that you will never get to see and play anywhere else, in the number and variety that they have. You can get some of the most expert help that exists in the acoustic guitar retail world. You can get some of the most world class repair and restoration that exists in the entire World...period.

You don't buy from Gruhn's for price, you buy from Gruhn's for the service and value that they provide with the caliber of their inventory and expert help and support, and nobody knows the Bluegrass Music Scene and guitars better than Gruhn's.

You can buy for price anywhere and everywhere these days, especially on the internet. If that is all you are after here...best price out the door to you...then sure, don't bother with Gruhn's...but here you are...asking all of us advice on a supposedly "special and final" purchase...which would seem to make it a very important one...yes?

So wouldn't going to Gruhn's and buying on "value of service" and not just price, and taking advantage of their inventory and their expertise at least be worth considering, and be worth paying less of a "bargain" price, but more of a "value" price to have them help you get a truly great "lifer" bluegrass cannon?

We here on this fine forum can all offer all manner of advice and anecdotes galore, but we can't sit you down and put amazing guitar after amazing guitar in your hands and help you figure out what is really going to work the best for you...in real time. That should be worth $omething???

duff

Well said, Duff. I concur!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Only guitars I've bought from Gruhn have been custom shop models where the the price was "the price". On a standard series Martin I would think they'd almost have to be competitive?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion