The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I ended up with a 2018 Reimagined Ambertone D-41. It’s a phenomenal guitar.
I just bought a 2018 D-41 and would agree 100%. My mom lives in Buchanan, next time I'm visiting I'll have to go check out the Music Outlet. Thanks for the info on them.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
I just bought a 2018 D-41 and would agree 100%. My mom lives in Buchanan, next time I'm visiting I'll have to go check out the Music Outlet. Thanks for the info on them.
Great guitars!! You're welcome! It's a really neat shop with a fantastic selection of instruments. I'm going to avoid It from now on when we go to Pigeon Forge! Too much temptation in one spot!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve narrowed my 50th BD guitar to two choices. A Gibson Advanced Jumbo or a Martin dread. It’ll be used for outdoor bluegrass festivals and shows and in rotation at church. Here’s the thing. Other than seeing and hearing a gazillion Martin dreads at festivals over the years, I know almost NOTHING about them. I want to spend less than $2000 and whichever one I go with has to have a pickup for playing at church. For bluegrass, which would be your choice, the Gibson or Martin?(let’s leave tradition out of the equation) I’m wanting a Banjo Killer! One that’s big enough to cut through in a circle. I also like the smaller necks like Taylor and Bourgeois have. 11/16” nut isn’t a deal-breaker. I’d really like to have the herringbone purfling on a Martin but I believe that’s on the 28 models, correct? I’m pretty much gonna let AGF pick my BD present for me. So hit me with info and your HONEST opinions.
You won't find a herringbone banjo-killing Martin for under $2k.

The best banjo killer you could find under $2k would be a used Martin D-Mahogany '09 (they pop up here every now and then). It's basically a D-18GE with a beautiful Alpine top. Also, a used D-18GE if you can find one in your price range. Then again, there's always the 12-fret (again, used) D-18VS...go big, or go home, as they say! (You might find a sitka HD-28V for $2k if you're really patient, but in my opinion not quite as good a match for what you're describing. Still a nice guitar!)

I've owned lots of Martin dreads from cheap ones to Authentics. For what you're wanting, these 3 above will get you there. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh man, I missed this. Congrats...that IS a phenomenal guitar. Amazing how a guitar like that can make you rethink your budget. You'll never regret it. Congrats again.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Oh man, I missed this. Congrats...that IS a phenomenal guitar. Amazing how a guitar like that can make you rethink your budget. You'll never regret it. Congrats again.

I went to buy an HD-28 and my wife ended up paying for me to upgrade to the D-41 after she heard how much better it sounded than the 28’s.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

martin d 18 sinker mahog with adi top at Gruhns UNBELIEVABLE
Old 09-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
martin d 18 sinker mahog with adi top at Gruhns UNBELIEVABLE
My Bourgeois Slope D has Mahogany back/sides, so I didn't want another mahogany guitar. Those sinker hogs are AWESOME though.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Congrats! The 40 series Martin guitars are a very nice upgrade across the board (and I say that as someone who really isn't much of a Martin fan anymore).

The quote was upsized for those that have missed it multiple times and continue to suggest other models, when the purchase has been completed. Sorry to be "that guy".
Old 09-26-2019, 04:54 AM

I don't know how you got a D-41 for less than $2000 (since that was your original plan I've read), bui congratulations and tell us where that ls

Last edited by Bernieman; 09-26-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:56 AM

Sorry I got it from the page before (where you got your guitar from)...Do they really have these klnd of prices at Music Outlet ?

Last edited by Bernieman; 09-26-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
Sorry I got it from the page before (where you got your guitar from)...Do they really have these klnd of prices at Music Outlet ?
I never said I got it for $2000. My initial count of $2000 less was off a little, but Based on my conversations with a salesman there(Gruhn) who straight out told me that I could get my guitars cheaper elsewhere and that they don't discount, I got it for around $1400 less than I could've at Gruhn guitars. And yes, they do have those kind of prices at Music Outlet. The owner told me he'd rather make a little and move guitars versus having them hanging on his wall forever. But there are plenty of people who'll walk into Gruhn Guitars and pay their price just so they can say they bought one from there.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 AM

Congrats on the beautiful new Martin!!!
Old 09-26-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I never said I got it for $2000. My initial count of $2000 less was off a little, but Based on my conversations with a salesman there(Gruhn) who straight out told me that I could get my guitars cheaper elsewhere and that they don't discount, I got it for around $1400 less than I could've at Gruhn guitars. And yes, they do have those kind of prices at Music Outlet. The owner told me he'd rather make a little and move guitars versus having them hanging on his wall forever. But there are plenty of people who'll walk into Gruhn Guitars and pay their price just so they can say they bought one from there.
I guess some people would feel safer too when buying from a renown retail shop like Gruhn : but the place you got your guitar from seams to be the kind that's worth a visit...I will remember it if I make it to the U.S. some day soon
Thanks for the info...I had gurssed you paid more than what you first intended to, but that's the way it often goes when looking for one's life guitar...
Enjoy; this one looks real neat...

Berniei

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion