The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Default How durable is a Rainsong?

Hey all of you rainsong lovers. I am interested in buying a guitar to keep in my car. It is going to get hot and cold with a lot of rapid temperature changes because of this. I know rainsong is supposed to be indestructible but will it hold up under those conditions. I would like to have a guitar I can go mess around on at lunch time but it may just be a pipe dream. I travel for work so just keeping one in the office is not an option. Price is kind of irrelevant as long as it isn't over 3-4k so is there something else I should look at that will work better? Also I drive a sports car with a small trunk so what model is most likely to fit?

thanks for any input
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

This seems like a question for the guys at Rainsong. From what I can tell and from what I've read you should be able to leave any of the Rainsong, Emerald, or CA guitars in a car with no issues. I don't know how the cases would hold up.

If your trunk is really small the CA Cargo would be a good options or the Blackbird Rider is another good option. The WS1000 Rainsong cases are the same size as a dreadnought.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Older Rainsongs USED to have a problem with extreme heat. AFAIK, they don't have that problem anymore.

So...I'd say they're pretty darned durable.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Humidity won't be an issue.
Extreme cold won't be an issue.
Extreme heat is still a potential issue, however (and I emphasize "extreme").

I heard extreme heat could still compromise the epoxy that holds together the bridge and the body. I don't remember exactly what exact temperature is the limit (something like 140F ???). So I wouldn't worry if you leave it in a trunk in a 80 degree weather. But I would if you are parked outside in a 100+ degree weather.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM

I saw a guy stand on his and then play it. It was still in tune. I drive a Miata and my guitar will not fit in the trunk. I don't think any small sports car is going to have a trunk big enough for a guitar.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Recommend you post your question over on the CF guitar forum at MacNichol Guitars www.macnichol.com -- a Forum sponser. Not only do you have a lot of knowledgable players, but also all of the major manufacturers chime in as well!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM

The Rainsong OM is the smallest of the Rainsong models..that being said, I have no idea if it will fit in your trunk or not, but it's the guitar I'm saving up for!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
Recommend you post your question over on the CF guitar forum at MacNichol Guitars www.macnichol.com -- a Forum sponser. Not only do you have a lot of knowledgable players, but also all of the major manufacturers chime in as well!
Thanks I will give it a try.

Kory
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
*mahoganut*

I've got the Rainsong OM - no electronics because I wanted to be able to play it in the rain or drizzle if necessary. Too much heat is still a problem, I believe due to the glue, but the guys at Rainsong would be able to tell you. Temp and humidity changes though are what it's good at!!

Here's the size of mine, in the softcase, so maybe this will help you tell if it will fit:
Length: 45"
Width: 18"
Depth: 8"

Best,

Phil

Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks…

How tough? When David Wilcox was travelling in an Air-Stream trailer with his family he left his Olsons at home and used one.

He said at a clinic I was at that you don't need to tune it down or put it into an air flight case when flying, and it can double as a bumper jack if you are changing a tire.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi:

I thought I would chime in with some info.

RainSongs will not have a problem with humidity extremes. The instrument can get wet and the carbon/graphite integrity will not be harmed (obviously, electronics, tuners, strings etc. are exceptions).

The instrument is unaffected by freezing temperatures. One of our Dealers (Colorado) left one outside in the snow overnight and played it the next morning as a "test". (He is no longer a RainSong Dealer )

As far a extreme heat is concerned, I guess it comes down to the definition of "extreme". In our early stages of production, we had some faulty resin systems that could not tolerate high temperatures. In the instruments that we have built for the last 10 years, we have not had a single complaint about heat-related damage (knock on wood ). So, I would say that a RainSong stored in a case in a car should be fine.

I hope this helps.

Ashvin
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

It just occurred to me that my above post may be "against forum rules" -- a manufacturer posting about their own product. If so, please delete the post or let me know and I will do so.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM

I would have to say that if it is against the rules it shouldn't be. You answered my question perfectly. It looks like I will have to be in the market for one. If I buy it new and store it in my car and there are issues would it be warrantied?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmile View Post
I would have to say that if it is against the rules it shouldn't be. You answered my question perfectly. It looks like I will have to be in the market for one. If I buy it new and store it in my car and there are issues would it be warrantied?
We cannot fix any issues with your car , however, if you are talking about your RainSong, if you promise to store it in your case, we will cover it under the warranty.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
We cannot fix any issues with your car , however, if you are talking about your RainSong, if you promise to store it in your case, we will cover it under the warranty.
Quite possibly one of the funniest posts I've ever read.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber