The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM

I have a old beater ES335TD picked up from a garage sale and play it through an old Gibson Skylark Amp. Perfect for the living room genre. Hard to go wrong with a 335 IMHO.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 AM

I have a Mesa-Boogie DC5. The clean channel is modelled on the '60s era Fender blackface amps and the dirty channel has the overdriven, sustainy sound of more modern amps (think Santana tone).

It's the perfect companion for my 335. I can cover just about everything with that combination.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 AM

That's a beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I have a old beater ES335TD picked up from a garage sale and play it through an old Gibson Skylark Amp. Perfect for the living room genre. Hard to go wrong with a 335 IMHO.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
That's a beater
makes ya wonder what neighborhood that garage sale was in, huh??

da*n sure wasn't mine!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 AM

If cost is a factor, you may want to test drive an Eastman....

Eastman Guitars

Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
If cost is a factor, you may want to test drive an Eastman....

Eastman Guitars

ooooooo,.....the new thin bodies....nice! i have a910ce...fabulous instrument!

i don't think they are much of a savings though...at least from what i've seen a 335 can be had at about the same plus or minus a few c's but, i sure wouldn't be upset with any eastman product...great guitars!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Default The Most Important Thing

Regardless of whether you go Gibson or Fender or Ibanez or Eastman or whatever, play the guitar unplugged. If it doesn't sound full and rich unplugged, it won't sound great plugged in. This is true of all electric guitars, but particularly the hollow and semi-hollow varieties.

You can change anaemic or harsh pickups (in fact, the old-school Epi Sheraton players used to swap out the original pickups for Gibson '57 Classics), but you can't fix a bad guitar. So find something you're comfortable with and that sounds good, and if you have to add a couple of bucks down the road to get "your" tone, that's better than getting something that will never quite sound right.

You can compromise on the label on the headstock, but do NOT compromise on comfort and unplugged tone.

Just my 2¢...

Joe
Your Mileage May Vary
Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
makes ya wonder what neighborhood that garage sale was in, huh??

da*n sure wasn't mine!

Despite the picture it has extensive freeze cracking, yellowed and chipped binding, patina on the tuners, chips in the finish, fret wear, worn fingerboard, and a case that is falling apart. I suspect it was heavily gigged at some point.

You know man.............. just broke in!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
Despite the picture it has extensive freeze cracking, yellowed and chipped binding, patina on the tuners, chips in the finish, fret wear, worn fingerboard, and a case that is falling apart. I suspect it was heavily gigged at some point.

You know man.............. just broke in!
we call that "vintage".......just about right..great find!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM

I just got a moderatley priced archtop (Samick JZ4) but looked at the Eastman's too. I am just starting to learn about them but begin to wonder if perhaps if maybe they're the best thing out there in hollow body guits today?

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_harmonic View Post
I just got a moderatley priced archtop (Samick JZ4) but looked at the Eastman's too. I am just starting to learn about them but begin to wonder if perhaps if maybe they're the best thing out there in hollow body guits today?
in my personal opinion..for the price plus a couple grand, absolutely.
they are a truly handmade, carved top guitar with magnificent finish, tone and playability...there are more expensive archtops but, few much better..at least without getting into the 5grand plus category.
honestly, i just can't say enough good things about eastman..the guitars and the folks there. great guitar folks!
just my raving two cents!

btw,,i have not played one of the 335 type thn bodies so, i can't comment of those but, i can't imagine they are any less spectacular.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:43 AM
It's later than it was...

Don't forget to check out Heritage guitars, the 535 being their version of the 335. If you don't know the story, they're the old Gibson folks that stayed in Kalamazoo when Gibson moved. Arguably the best made American electrics for the price.
________
Buy vaporizers

Last edited by konavet; 02-15-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 PM
"Big Daddy"

I had a Transparent Amber CS-336 with Gold Hardware for about a year and it was a killer guitar for Blues and Jazz. Didn't really play any rock with that guitar but it would have had a "fat" lead sound.
What I liked about the CS-336 is that it was a smaller and lighter version of the ES-335. The 57 Classic humbuckers had a great sound but if I would have kept the CS-336 I would have replaced the 57 Classics with Burst Bucker Pros. It seems that Gibson is still making that guitar.

Gibson CS-336

The reason I sold it... is that I had a bad case of GAS, and that was when I ordered my PRS Hollowbody II Artist.
I have to get over that disease.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I had an Epiphone Sheraton II as my main electric guitar for many years - a blond one, with all the bling. I actually was cued up to buy a 'real' 335, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't justify the extra expense. Now, of course, I wish I'd made the investment - back then (around 1992), a 335 Dot could be bought for about half what they cost now.

I sold mine 6 or 7 years ago, and still wonder why..... i have occasional contact with its current owner, but he doesn't want to sell it.

If you want to see a 335 in action, check out Jon Herington on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. Sweet, sweet stuff. If it was possible to wear out a DVD, mine would be in shreds by now.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up 335 vibe

I recently bought an Epiphone Dot Studio from MF and was impressed-- it played better than a custom Epiphone Dot with gold hardware that I traded off a year ago--not a real Gibson but pretty close for under $200...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars