The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
does it have the 1954 controller (bass, neck, bridge) circuit or does it have the more modern neck, middle , bridge configuration.
It is faithful to the original specification as far as is humanly possible. So the wiring is as per 50's spec.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 05-14-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs264 View Post
However, as soon as the Fender logo was applied, this guitar went from being a replica to being a forgery. Only Fender or their licensees can legally put that logo on an instrument.
My thoughts, exactly.

If I were to post a photo of a fake Rolex Submariner here, I'd likely get blasted for it, and rightly so...
Old 05-14-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
Incidentally, a very important part of the definition of forgery is the deliberate intent to deceive, normally for pecuniary advantage; none of that applies here
I believe you're mistaken. This is the first definition of "forgery" I found:

"the action of forging or producing a copy of a document, signature, banknote, or work of art."

The intent to deceive is actually a facet of fraud, not forgery.

Whether the builder claims it's a replica or not is really of little importance. It's still a forgery, albeit a very high quality one...
Old 05-14-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I believe you're mistaken. This is the first definition of "forgery" I found:

"the action of forging or producing a copy of a document, signature, banknote, or work of art."

The intent to deceive is actually a facet of fraud, not forgery.

Whether the builder claims it's a replica or not is really of little importance. It's still a forgery, albeit a very high quality one...
Presumably the same could be said about the famous 1959 Les Paul replicas made by Peter "Max" Baranet and Kris Derrig played by a number of prominent musicians. Both of these builders claimed their work to be replicas, rather than forgeries...

Anyway, forgery or replica aside, I am extremely happy to own this guitar.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 05-14-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
Presumably the same could be said about the famous 1959 Les Paul replicas made by Peter "Max" Baranet and Kris Derrig played by a number of prominent musicians. Both of these builders claimed their work to be replicas, rather than forgeries...

Anyway, forgery or replica aside, I am extremely happy to own this guitar.

Cheers,

Ian
First of all I love your guitar, it just looks like a nice broken in Tele, but...

no matter what you say here, the guitar is not authorized to use the Fender logo, unless the luthier bought the neck with the Fender logo already on it from Fender. Their are plenty of people selling these guitars as the real deal, and if you ever resold your guitar, what would keep an unsuspecting buyer from being duped. So it's a tricky subject. My advice would be just don't post anything like that on a public forum, and just enjoy the heck out of it. Many other forums specifically don't allow pictures of replicas like yours to be posted for just that reason.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:28 AM

I had a '51 replica in my shop a few months ago when some guy walked in and his jaw dropped. I let it ride for a little while till i finally told him it was a replica

It was quite impressive too. Does yours have the black guard dark tone wiring too?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
First of all I love your guitar, it just looks like a nice broken in Tele, but...

no matter what you say here, the guitar is not authorized to use the Fender logo, unless the luthier bought the neck with the Fender logo already on it from Fender. Their are plenty of people selling these guitars as the real deal, and if you ever resold your guitar, what would keep an unsuspecting buyer from being duped. So it's a tricky subject. My advice would be just don't post anything like that on a public forum, and just enjoy the heck out of it. Many other forums specifically don't allow pictures of replicas like yours to be posted for just that reason.
Not everybody is a criminal. That’s first of all. And second, let the forum decide what pictures can be posted. Geez, lighten up pal.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Not everybody is a criminal. That’s first of all. And second, let the forum decide what pictures can be posted. Geez, lighten up pal.
Settle down Chickee! I didn't call anyone a criminal. That was friendly advice. If the builder of your guitar gets caught making replicas (which he did by using an unauthorized logo on the headstock), that would be on the guy posting pictures. It's so bad of a situation that, as I said in my previous post, more than one forum has been contacted over this, and now they specifically tell people not to post pictures of replicas showing the company logo which he DID! The two best replica builders that I know of on the gear page got cease and desist letters from both Gibson and Fender. He wasn't just putting the builder at risk, he was also putting this forum at risk!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars