The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-06-2021, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Roland GR55 and GK3 pickup?

Anyone here owned or used a GR55 synth pedal with the GK3 pickup? I am considering is for one of my guitar and would like opinions. Videos seem pretty cool!
Old 05-07-2021, 04:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi! I own the older GR-20/GK-3 synth pair and use them fairly often in the studio. You should know that the GR-20 has some pretty significant tracking latency, so much so that I've never played the unit live. That's the Achilles heel of the thing and why so few play 'em. I don't know if they cured or ameliorated it by the GR-55 stage. You can get over that by blending between the guitar sound and the synth sound. I think that is how Pat Metheny did it. You'll probably end up with a dedicated guitar wit the GK-3 on it but it can be temporarily mounted. Mine is. You can get my ideas on my rig over HERE in the review on my website.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-07-2021, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob! I don't play live, so it would just be for recording/studio use. The videos online don't really appear to show much of a lag, but it could be deceiving.

I do have a guitar that I plan to dedicate to this task.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:10 PM

I have a GK2 and an older GR50. I used it in 'live' in jam sessions, but never in front of audiences.

With the Roland-style pitch tracking technologies, the average latency is around 20 ms. Lower strings have more latency than higher strings.

This is the minimum latency. A particular patch can add even more.

The most important advice I can give is to approach it as a controller with strings instead of a guitar. Similarly, you will have much more luck with patches that have a sustaining element (organ, violin, wind instruments) rather than percussive.

You will learn that many techniques that guitarists use will cause glitches. You will need to modify your playing to minimize glitches and maximize expression.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate the info!
Old 05-08-2021, 03:31 AM

The more recent GR55 has less latency issues than earlier models. Alex Hutchings does a good demo here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iLPWQMBLCGI
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 AM

I have owned most of the Roland line, including the GR55 with and without a dedicated Godin guitar or the pickup on its own.

I can say that I never bonded with them. The latency is just too much. The glitches you make with one wrong note. The fact that after the thrill is gone you really don't get much out of these soundwise that you want to stick with, and performing, forget it. Just too clunky.

The small synth pedal, the Boss SY1 however is a different story. No pickup needed, tracks great and you get usable sounds. Nothing like the variety in the GR55, but you get a solid Metheny horn sound, some great melodic patches, lots of effects, pedal chords, organs, and its .. a pedal.

But I would say if you just want YOLO.....then buy the GR55 and go nuts for a year or two. It is really fun. Its just that..well, u will see what I mean. I say buy one, then sell it next year.

YOLO

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars