The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 05:41 PM

Default Not new to forums but new to this page. Gibson J-30 content

Hey Acoustic Guitar friends.

I was online doing some searching for a Gibson J30 and it led me to some very old threads on this page. I didn't want to start responding to years old threads so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm a bit of a traveling troubadour type and I love my 1990 Gibson J-30 and would love to find another one.

Before you point me towards reverb or ebay - I've been all over them and have learned a bit in my research of these guitars. (and the only one out there is in the U.K. and he won't ship to the U.S.) The main difference is that it seems that at about halfway through 1990 Gibson changed the scale length, the bracing and design of this guitar.

The original J30 was just like a Hummingbird, 24.75" scale, same square shoulder, same tone just no fancy paint, pickguard, inlays or price. I have owned 2 other 1990 J30s that were the 25.5" scale and I didn't like them.

My prized 1990 took a fall while on tour in Germany two years ago and the headstock has been repaired. Makes me nervous to tour with now. Best $1000 guitar I've ever owned.

Anyone else out there love these J30s?
Old 07-29-2021, 06:12 PM

I had a J-30 back in the late 80’s and never realized what a great guitar it was. I unfortunately sold it after buying an Ovation nylon string guitar which I played for many years and recently gave away, but still wish I would have kept that one. Good luck finding one. They are now very rare.
Martin LX1
Epiphone Broadway
Gamboa Charango
Ovation Classical model 1116
Fender Strat
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 PM

I had a '96 (last year made). Great guitar and still miss it sometimes. They were a $1,000 guitar when a J 45 was $1,200.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:59 AM

While 1980s Nashville-made J30s were short scale guitars I do not recall ever having seen a Bozeman-made version with anything other than a long scale. Interesting that.

The only thing you might consider is to go with a slightly later built guitar. One dating from 1990 will have both the paddle cut neck joint and a Fullerplast finish. Depending on whom you talk to that neck joint is either a royal pain in the butt or no more problem than a dovetail joint should repairs ever be needed. But if any problem did come up you would need to find a luthier who is familiar with this type of joint. The Fullerplast finish while not having any impact on sound makes any touch ups or repairs a no go.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-30-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
While 1980s Nashville-made J30s were short scale guitars I do not recall ever having seen a Bozeman-made version with anything other than a long scale. Interesting that.

The only thing you might consider is to go with a slightly later built guitar. One dating from 1990 will have both the paddle cut neck joint and a Fullerplast finish. Depending on whom you talk to that neck joint is either a royal pain in the butt or no more problem than a dovetail joint should repairs ever be needed. But if any problem did come up you would need to find a luthier who is familiar with this type of joint. The Fullerplast finish while not having any impact on sound makes any touch ups or repairs a no go.

That's fascinating. Gibson has always been "interesting" in their consistency. I'm fixated on finding another 24.75" scale version. There's just not a lot of them.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:18 PM

I have an 86 with that same throaty bass tone that the early 70's Birds have that I am so thoroughly addicted to, and nothing else comes close. Period.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof
stuff like this makes this forum great.

hope this works out

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-31-2021 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Quote deleted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion