The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
What this forum and others like it have done is raise my awareness of guitar brands and accessories that I wouldn’t come across locally, like Larrivee guitars, for example. With all the information we exchange here I’m much more alert when I travel and aware of what I’m looking at.

The most recent guitar purchase I made due to AGF connections is an Eastman J-45 copy from forum regular salsarev. It’s a great guitar and it was great dealing with the rev…

Wade Hampton Miller

whm
Reports from AGF inspired me to buy my 1st Eastman, an AJ617... Less than a year later, I bought a D20, advertised on the forum. Both have been decisions that brought me happiness... I have no plans to sell either of them...

Don
Old 07-29-2021, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

AGF threads led me to look into gs-Mini's for travel and I did indeed buy, and am quite happy with, an all hog gs-mini. AGF has also directly influenced purchases of accessories, strings, etc. I first learned on AGF about Bob Colosi and have since ordered several awesome saddles and pin sets from him.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:36 AM

All but one of my guitars was purchased with "influence" from this forum.

After I got my very first guitar (1976 Guild D40) I hit the web looking for practical advice and information. I stumbled on the AGF and never left. That was almost 9 years ago.

Every guitar I've purchased since that time (about 4 of them) was informed in some way (research, GAS, discovery, recommendations) by the good folks on the AGF.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
All but one of my guitars was purchased with "influence" from this forum.

After I got my very first guitar (1976 Guild D40) I hit the web looking for practical advice and information. I stumbled on the AGF and never left. That was almost 9 years ago.
Just wonder, Are you still playing the Guild?
I still play mine.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Do cases count? I’ve got 2 Hiscox light flights—one fits my J 50, the other my 000 18.

My Larivee parlor I’d never have bought if it weren’t for rmmga, the old Usenet group from back when Wade, Stone, Fred, and I were really young.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I'm an adult and responsible for my own choices; but I'll just say that before I happened onto AGF in 2006, I never considered that one could own more than a single guitar at any given time. I just didn't understand....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I think I'll skip this one!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:49 AM

Although the catalogs from Mandolin Bros. and Elderly Instruments were my main source of info about acoustic guitar brands, I am pretty sure I learned about Goodall guitars from the AGF!
Old 07-30-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Just wonder, Are you still playing the Guild?
I still play mine.
Sad story this. I loved that Guild D40. If you have one, you know how cool, and how big, and how much fun they can be.

That guitar was given to me by my brother-in-law who got it as a birthday present from his mom when he was a teenager -- back in the late 70s. He literally never played it.

CUT TO: 2011 and I tell him I want to learn guitar so he says, "I've got one in my basement that I've never used. You can have it." And he sends me the Guild. I'm blown away BUT the thing needs a neck reset bad (which is expensive on a Guild). I pay around to $600 to overhaul the guitar and when I get it back it just ROARS.

Two weeks later, his mom goes into the hospital and he gets very nostalgic about her and he wants the guitar back. Suddenly it has sentimental value for him. What can I say? I gave it back to him. His mom got better and is doing fine. And that beautiful 1976 Guild D40 with the neck reset sits in his basement to this day.

Sorry for the long story and going off topic -- but I was asked about the Guild.

...And after that the AGF taught me about Martin Guitars, Collings, Huss & Dalton and so on... so I'm doing ok.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:16 AM

Taylor Grand Pacific.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:36 AM

I am sure AGF and UMGF influenced most of my decisions to buy AND not buy guitars. Forums users' opinions are a great resource for our pursuit of finding the right instrument. Thanks to all who participate!

Jerry
Old 07-30-2021, 07:39 AM

I think each guitar I own, other than my Martin D12-20.
This mostly occurred with the valuable search resources of AGF which allowed me to plow into a lot of history on different luthiers and models.
Certainly my build with Tom Doerr was AGF influenced.....as I had followed his early posts and others builds for a while before contacting him.
AGF is a GREAT resource......Thank you!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I've been thinking about a custom build by a boutique builder that I've read about here on the AGF. A build in the style of a 00-18V, because I used to have one and really liked it.

But then I ask myself "why not just find another 00-18V and save yourself a bunch of $$$?"

Good question, right?
Old 07-30-2021, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

So far my Farida OT-22w has been my only purchase directly caused by forum influence. Now if you guys would just stop reminding me of great guitars that I've forgotten about I'd appreciate it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-30-2021, 08:05 AM

I don't think it influenced any individual guitar purchase but it definitely encouraged a trend. I joined the forum during the TGF days and lusting after all of the Taylorstock custom guitars definitely led me down the road of numerous Taylor purchases during the following 10 years. Then the AGF and UMGF served me the "vintage Koolaid" and I went down the GE and Authentic path. Now I'm getting more into jazz and I'm thinking about trading my OM-18 Authentic towards an Eastman AR805/905ce if I could find one. It never ends...

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion