The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
12-strings are so very different from 6-strings. Learning to play one is going to take a while. I suggest OP buy a playable inexpensive 12-string and explore playing it and learn what's important to him. The next one can be chosen having had some experience and formed some judgments as to what is needed.

I bought a Seagull and learned what I could from it, and then went on to make one of my own design. The experience with the seagull was priceless.
But make sure its a solidly made one....nothing worse than learning on a badly made one
Old 07-14-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
Guild and Martin from me. I learned guitar on a 12 String Framus, do not recommend it.
LOL, I started on a Framus 12 string, too. But today's inexpensive 12 strings from Guild, Martin, and Taylor are light years ahead in playability.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:07 PM

Made me to jam Silly.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:24 PM

Default A thought

I bought a Framus 12-string in 1965 to learn to play guitar. Never underestimate the level of folly circulating in an adolescent's head. Never did succeed in playing it.

Last December I finished a 12-string of my own design (6th scratchbuilt guitar). Worked out pretty good. At least I can play the thing.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:57 PM

12 string guitars

My first acoustic 12 string was an EKO Ranger XII, back in the late 60s. Dreadnought.

Built like a tank, but that was an advantage then. Actually had a great deal of fun with it, and for a while it was my only acoustic guitar.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-16-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
12 string guitars

My first acoustic 12 string was an EKO Ranger XII, back in the late 60s. Dreadnought.

Built like a tank, but that was an advantage then. Actually had a great deal of fun with it, and for a while it was my only acoustic guitar.

Don
My 1st 12-string also came from the Italian Eko factory with it's zero fret, strip tuners and height adjustable saddle ... and it weighed a ton.

Here's me playing it 43 years ago.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-16-2021, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Lots a great suggestions. Decide on a budget. Find stores that carry 12 strings and try try try them. Do you stand or sit when you play? How’s does the guitar fit your body? Are your hands comfortable with the neck shape? Is it easy to play? Do you like the sound? Put a capo on it and play it. Be aware of how string type and gauge affects how the guitar plays. More $$ in general will get you a better build. I’ve played Breedlove 12’s for a long time and you can find them in a wide range of cost, styling, and woods. Have fun, I still play my one remaining 6 string, but all my other instruments are 12 … still enjoying them.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 07-17-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I know there are a lot of recommendations for inexpensive 12 strings, and many seem to watch them come and go, but do yourself a favor and try a couple of really nice 12 strings. Not cheap, but you may find one that you’ll discover is worth the price, and you’ll keep forever and never have to think about again. I have a Santa Cruz 12 string that is all that, and more - I may not play it often, but all it takes is flipping a couple case latches, and it’s just wonderful -
Old 07-17-2021, 10:17 AM

I have a Maton Messiah 12-string. It's very nice, and easy to play. It wasn't a "budget" buy, though.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:20 AM

I also remember those killer Eko and Framus guitar and I never understood why anyone would want to play them. But then in the 70s the Ovation Pacemaker came along that played like an electric and sounded like angels singing. The Pacemaker and other Ovations changed 12 string playing more than any other brand.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:04 AM

12 string guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I also remember those killer Eko and Framus guitar and I never understood why anyone would want to play them. But then in the 70s the Ovation Pacemaker came along that played like an electric and sounded like angels singing. The Pacemaker and other Ovations changed 12 string playing more than any other brand.
Actually the Ranger XII sounded like a 12 string should, the action was pretty decent, and the price was highly affordable. What else is there in times of no money? Times of no money and a guitar beats the crap out of times of no guitar and some cash in pocket, hands down, to paraphrase the Furry Freak Brothers. And my young fingers had no problem getting around on it. I think my favorite song to play on it was "Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag" by Country Joe and the Fish. Won't mention my initially poor attempt at "Walk Right In" by the Rooftop Singers. OOPS !? Just mentioned it. My playing of "WRI" sounds much better now.

And as far as wanting to play one, I'll just chalk that up to joyous reminiscence. Don't worry, be happy.

Bruce has all the right details, including that '0' fret. I think that helped the action a lot.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-17-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

so, oddly enough my Norman B-50 12 string went belly up this week literally. Belly top...so its gonna be otta commision for while till i repair it. so it gave me the gas this morning and went into local shop and bought a Denver DD44S12 to hold me over for a bits... i know... very cheap $240.00, however i was and am very pleasantly surprised by it. Great action and good sound ( not tinny) this is first low end denver i have ever bought..but if your looking to try out a 12 string as an experiment before investing more $$$, this guitar was well worth alot more than i paid for it and played just as well as my other 12s ive had, yamahas and taks. no it doesnt sound as nice as the norman, but the norman is in the ICU for next while

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 07-17-2021, 05:04 PM

Another Eko-coddled baby here. Mine, like most in Australia, was branded "Eston", a trade name belonging to the local importer.
  • Tone: pleasant, reliable, never, ever going to win any competitions, but it did the job. 5 out of 10.
  • Volume: hardly any. Those things were solid. 3.
  • Playability: outstanding for a fairly cheap guitar in the 1970 - and if you weren't around back then, believe me, cheap guitars were very, very bad. 10 out of 10.
  • Build quality and design. Excellent design, innovations included the zero fret and a very neat bolt-on neck with no heel, making access to the upper frets much easier. Build quality was spot on considering that we are talking about a fairly inexpensive plywood guitar. Shame about the cheap and nasty tuners. 7.
  • Durability. Outstanding. Those things were tough! In the 1970s John Wiliamson bought his first Maton after he reversed over a D-28. If he'd had an Eko, he would have only had to change a tyre. Those things got bashed and biffed, and left in cars on a hot days, had drinks spilled on them, you name it. And they just took it all without complaint. 10.

35 out of 50. Not bad for a cheap guitar. Not bad at all.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:45 AM

I've only ever owned two 12-strings. I had a Sigma for about 7-8 years back in the 90s that sorely needed a neck reset by the time I unloaded it. When it was new it was okay, but it could not take the tension. I've had my Taylor 356 for about 7 years at this point. The neck might be the best on any of my steel ring acoustics -- plays beautifully and easily. Loud guitar too.

I've also played a Taylor 150 and didn't like it much... If you can find a 356 used and it's anything like mine (which I also bought used) you would be in great shape. Might want to stick with a manufacturer who has a reputation for stable necks like Taylor though.... A cheap 12 string with an unstable neck could require more than the guitar is originally worth for a neck reset in several years time.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-18-2021, 10:03 AM

My old '71 yammie from 1971 actually has a very nice sound -
But I'm looking for an upgrade - would love an old Guild F model 12 string ( pre Fender ),
but at the moment can find exactly one thats decent and affordable ( that i can see and play first hand )
So ive got a Guild ordered from Sweetwater -that I'm still waiting for -
I like Sweetwater , so i'll wait -
Ill let you know what i think of it when it comes in -wish i could afford a F-512
But honestly even if i did - Im better off with a less flashy guitar that i can really dig into -
been their with my old D-25 , it gets played alot and I'm not afraid of it -period

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion