The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2021, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

My current 12 string is a Blueridge BR160-12. It's a jumbo body modeled off of the Guild F512, with spruce top and rosewood back and sides. It plays well and sounds great. I paid $600 used for it and it has all solid woods. The headstock is a bit too elaborate but it's a really nice guitar.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
I’ve also had a GJ72CE-12 for a number of years.
I’ve also had a Taylor 150e and a Guild F2512e.
The Tak is still here.
It is indeed the guitar equivalent of a Nokia phone.
I have backed down to 9-45 gauge strings. Not because the guitar requires it.
I did it for my hands.
It sings like an Angel. A heavy one.
It’s a true Jumbo. So, you will need a full size jumbo case.
Guild and Martin from me. I learned guitar on a 12 String Framus, do not recommend it.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:47 PM

Default A thought

12-strings are so very different from 6-strings. Learning to play one is going to take a while. I suggest OP buy a playable inexpensive 12-string and explore playing it and learn what's important to him. The next one can be chosen having had some experience and formed some judgments as to what is needed.

I bought a Seagull and learned what I could from it, and then went on to make one of my own design. The experience with the seagull was priceless.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:18 AM

There are lots of different ways a az-string can be used

- strumming accompanyment
- flat-picking
- finger picking
- slide
- altered tuning
- etc....

I would experiment with different styles on an inexpensive model for a year or two to determine which styles will be used most, then choose a guitar that suits the style(s). Better still, borrow one for a few months.......
Old 07-13-2021, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

In all modesty, I'm fortunate to have owned some wonderful 12-string guitars - Guild F-512, Taylor 455/458/858. I currently own a Rainsong CO-JM3100N2T and am loving it. Some songs just sound so right on a 12-string...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-13-2021, 10:36 AM

In 2015, I ordered a Larrivee custom 12 string LV03 with a Venetian cutaway, mahogany top and bone nut & saddle and have never looked back. I compared it against Taylor, Martin, Guild, Yamaha and it was a clear winner for me.

I just ordered a 6 string LSV03 with moonwood over American walnut.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
12-strings are so very different from 6-strings. Learning to play one is going to take a while. I suggest OP buy a playable inexpensive 12-string and explore playing it and learn what's important to him. The next one can be chosen having had some experience and formed some judgments as to what is needed.

I bought a Seagull and learned what I could from it, and then went on to make one of my own design. The experience with the seagull was priceless.
I think this is good advice: buy a less-expensive 12-string to start out with and find out if 12-strings are for you before investing a pile of money.

The less expensive 12-strings of today, and Seagull is a good example, are built well enough to be playable as long as they are set up well. The neck or nut width or spacing at the bridge may not suit everyone, but most of the time people can learn to adapt.

Getting experience with a 12-string over time gives you a reference point to evaluate other 12-strings better so that you know more about what you want, what you like, and what you don't like.

The comments about the benefit of a good headstock tuner is also right on. People have complained and made jokes about 12-string tuning problems for decades, but today a decent headstock tuner completely solves that problem.

- Glenn
Old 07-13-2021, 10:51 AM

And I think better tuners for less money have helped that problem a lot too.

My Yamaha 12-string has fairly cheap tuners on it but they are really stable and it rarely needs much tuning even after sitting for a while. If I plunked down $200 for 12 Gotoh 510s I'd probably never have to tune it again
Old 07-13-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a Martin DM12 off of craigslist only because it was such a good deal - then ended up liking it so much that it edged out my old Guild F212!

An underrated 12, IMO.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:52 AM

My opinion: Even if you're not a 12-string "player," there's nothing wrong with having one in your collection, given money and space constraints.

The first new guitar I ever bought, a 1971 Framus acoustic, and a Fender Japanese Stratocaster XII. I don't play them as often as I used to, but when I had only the first, it wasn't that much of a stretch to remove the octave strings and just play the guitar as a six-string!
Old 07-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

If I embarked back into the world of 12 strings, I'd get an Eastman 330, a solid wood jumbo for under a grand!

Don
Old 07-14-2021, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangil View Post
Thinking about 12-string guitars and completely undecided as to budget. I know that 12-strings are a different animal from regular acoustics because of the added tension on the neck and greater precision needed on intonation.

My question - particularly for people who build or repair instruments - which makers have the best craftsmanship when it comes to 12 string guitars? I would ask in terms of both the quality of the sound and durability / reliability of the instrument since the two are not always linked. I've tried doing web searches, but most of the sites offer reviews that are like reading reviews of electronics equipment and don't offer any comment as to the actual quality of the build/design.

Seangil
My 12 string is a Maton EM100 Messiah and I would not be without it. The sound that comes out of it is like a thousand canaries singing through a megaphone. intonation is spot on perfect. can play notes on the 12th fret and above and they ring out in tune flawlessly together.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
There are lots of different ways a az-string can be used

- strumming accompanyment
- flat-picking
- finger picking
- slide
- altered tuning
- etc....

I would experiment with different styles on an inexpensive model for a year or two to determine which styles will be used most, then choose a guitar that suits the style(s). Better still, borrow one for a few months.......
I find that it is easier to play my 12s than my sixes - because of the 12 voices, you don't need to do so much.

This is how I play my 12 strings:

https://youtu.be/Lnqp-LM3cV4

and

https://youtu.be/RYkEwGn_xEs

and

https://youtu.be/LAZwUpKZq2s
Old 07-14-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Lots of good 12Â’s

There are a lot of good12 string guitars now days. I had a very inexpensive Tak at around $250 that had low action and played great.. I stepped up to a $500 Tak that was even better than I went to a $1300 Tak which was even better. I still have theEg523SC12(500) and the381 (1300) they are great guitars for the money but I saw Taylor k66 and fell in love and added a cocobolo 854ce. These were much more expensive but worth it to me. 3 years ago I picked up a 562ce which is much smaller than the jumbos,Gs and Ga guitars. ItÂ’s the one I play now. All o f the above guitars are good and I still have them all except the $200 Tak which I regret selling. My point is you can get a good guitar cheap or you can get spend considerably more for a great guitar. There is so much competition that the guitars these days better be good or they wonÂ’t sell.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
I've been reading and hearing good things about the Yamaha LL-16 12 string. That's the one I will eventually get.
Yep, that's what I have. I love it's semi-chunky neck, and it sounds soo good. My LL16-12 is my church band guitar, and it's defintely IMO, a level above my old Taylor 150e.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion