The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2021, 06:38 PM

I have played Yamahas and Guilds way back in the last century but never owned any. This century I have owned two very different 12-string guitars. First was a Rickenbacker 730/12L, which felt pretty similar to other 12-strings I have played, but was a little over-bright sounding due to its all maple construction, and it was very lightly built so I didn't really feel all that comfortable playing it.

These days, I have a Yamamoto MS-12. It is a great, toneful guitar, and is wonderful in the ease of playing department.

For a new player to 12-string, such as you, as much as I am not a fan of Taylor, tonally, they do make a fine playing instrument.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:44 PM

You're not seeing reviews on build quality as any newer built guitar over about $200 new should be well built and stay that way for many years to come. Pay more attention to the sound, shape, comfort playability and stop worrying so much about the build quality. It's likely there no matter what (relatively large) brand name you choose.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
When I think of 12 strings, I think of two words;

GUILD JUMBO

Everything else just seems like a wanna-be!
I've had a Guild JF65-12 since 1987.... Still my choice over any other 12 string I've ever played...

Last edited by FingahPickah; 07-14-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:11 PM

12 string guitars

Can offer experience with Taylor 12 strings.

Have two, one bought 20+ years ago brand new, the Taylor 355 Jumbo. Was enough, but always on the lookout. Ended up getting a used Taylor 458-R Grand Orchestra a couple of years ago. The 'R' means rosewood B&S.

Very satisfied with both of them. I will admit to tuning them to 'D#' since old habits die hard (always owned at least one 12 string since the late 60s; used to tune to 'D'). And having two allows me to tune the 355 to DADGAD intervals. The drone-age is amazing. Can't remember ever having any problems with either one. Both strung with Elixir 12 string Light gauge (.010-.047).

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks. And the G7th Newport 12 string capo with the compensated string pad works great with each of them. No need to re-tune using this capo.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-12-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

If 12-string guitars are properly taken care of -- meaning humidification along with using the correct gauge strings to match the tuning and keeping the trussrod(s) properly adjusted -- then if you are buying a name brand instrument, it should hold up well.

I recently gave my 1972 Guild F212 to my son to use once I acquired a used 2014 Guild F512 in 2016. Both of these guitars use light gauge (high E=0.010") 12-string sets and have always been tuned to concert pitch. These guitars have no cracks anywhere, have never needed a neck reset, and still sound great.

Excellent 12-string guitars are made by Guild, Taylor, Martin, Seagull, Eastman, Yamaha, Takamine, Breedlove, etc. I have found that if you wait and watch you can eventually find recent vintage, used 12-string guitars available to purchase and significantly reduced cost. A lot of players buy 12-string guitars and then find that they don't play them. So, then they sell them at a loss. Both of the Guild 12-strings I have purchased were used.

Older 12-strings are at an increased risk of needing a neck reset, so my approach to this is to buy used but more recent vintage.

If you are curious about what my Guild 12-strings sound like here is my 12-string playlist from my YouTube channel.

- Glenn
Old 07-11-2021, 07:24 PM

Low-end
Seagull
Guild D-1212 (used)

Midprice
USA Ovation (used)
USA Guild (used)
Martin J12-15 (used)
Guild D-1212E (NOS)
Taylor 150e (new)

Pro-level
USA Guild
Rainsong
USA Breedlove
Veillette Grand
Old 07-11-2021, 10:26 PM

You really can't go wrong with any of the modern 12 string staples brought up so far.

One thing that will make or break the experience is the setup. Especially on the lower end offerings, the action at the nut may be excessive. that makAt least that's been my experience in stores. A higher end one may have need the same attention.

I find that a 12 string with a good setup is barely more difficult to play than a 6 string, and tons of fun.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:04 PM

Yamaha LL16-12 is what I have. Torrefied Engelmann on Rosewood, dreadnought size. About $1k new, not bad for solid wood. Built like a tank with unscalloped bracing. Tons of volume with a pick, but due to the bracing it's a bit quieter for fingerstyle, and the string spacing is a bit narrow for fingerstyle too. That said, it's a good choice for a strummer or if you have smaller hands for fingerstyle. The narrower nut of 1 13/16" and shorter scale of 25" are also good for that. Overall it's very easy to play for a 12-string, but it's hard to find the perfect one.

If I was shopping for a high end 12-string, I'd get for a Taylor x52 series for a smaller 12-string body, or if I wanted a big one, a Guild jumbo 12-string.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:37 PM

I’ve had a Larivee mahogany jumbo 12 for about 12 years. I don’t play it regularly, but for a few months a year, it gets played almost daily. I’m amazed how often it’s in tune when I open the case. It has not needed any adjustments, again, to my amazement. I bought it because of the sound and playability, but couldn’t recommend it more highly in terms of durability. It does not sound or feel like an overbuilt instrument, but definitely has whatever structure it’s needed to stay this playable.

It’s my third 12 string over an almost 60 year period. My first good guitar was a Goya 12 string. Later I had a Framus. Both needed to be tuned to D, which I also remember a friend with a slot head Martin (pretty sure a D35?, this is back in the 70s) had to tune to also. I was really surprised when I last shopped for them (when I ended up with the Larivee) that the modern 12s could be tuned to E. Of course, I also don’t remember the string gauge on those earlier 12s, which may be why they needed to be tuned down.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:44 AM

Default Had a few 12 strings…

…and later sold them because I wasn’t playing enough material to justify the expense.

Then I get the 12-string bug again and buy another. Most recently I picked up an Eastman AC-330. Very nicely made indeed and the big jumbo body sounds lovely. The neck is a little chunkier than the Taylors I’ve previously owned, but playability is excellent and the sound is every bit as good, possibly better if you like more bottom end.

Have to say I’m amazed at the quality Eastman offer in the sub £1000 pice range and that included a quality hard shell case. The build quality and finish is right up there with the larger US factories. No wonder Dana Bourgeois (I have one of his guitars too) considered a partnership with Eastman.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:11 AM

Check out the Westerly Collection from Guild.

I have a F-1512 and I love it.

https://guildguitars.com/g/westerly-f-1512/

about $1k, and comes with a very good semi hard case. I bought a Gator jumbo case for the one I picked up anyway.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-12-2021, 09:22 AM

I found the Taylor 150e to be a great value instrument. Plays and sounds good. It's been "superceeded " by a Lowden O25 however... but re-strung in unison 4ths it has a new life as a "mandola" ... and still nice to play. The Lowden has a whole lot of chime and rings out...
Old 07-12-2021, 01:49 PM

I bought and sold seven 12 string guitars from 1972 to the present day.
All of them were hard to play and to tune.
I never knew about set ups back then.
The clip on tuners of today are a Godsend for 12 strings.

My current 12 string is the Yamaha LL-16-12.
It is the easiest to play 12 string that I have owned.
The neck isn't as wide as my Guilds were, so it is makes playing it much easier to me.
It is also my only 12 string with Rosewood sides and back.
I love the deeper tone that this guitar has.

I highly recommend the Yamaha LL-16-12.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I can't remember not having a 12 string.

Iwent yhrough a number of Yamahas in the '70s and '80s ntil my first Martin - I think it was a D12-20. I had a D12-35, and now have a 1964 D12-20 rebuilt and customised by Martin in 1998.

Like my other 12 string - a Harmony h1270, they have a history of being troublesome - wrong strings, wrong tuning, poor maintenance inadequate bracing etc.

I've also had a Del 'Arte "Leadbelly" a replica of his custom Stella and a Daion (which was probably the best for accuracy), but .......

...... I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect 12 string.

The finest 12 string neck I have ever played was on a Collings, but they've only made them on an "0" sized body - if they put the same necki on an original dreadnought body ...!

However - it isn't just about the design and build. To compensate the 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th courses, finger pressure in such different string gauges is practically impossible and the player needs to adapt tuning as they go.

But, despite all the issues, I love'em.

https://youtu.be/mGPbed7_Zh0
Old 07-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The clip on tuners of today are a Godsend for 12 strings...
Totally agree....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion