The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
This deserves highlighting. I have more than once found, when I get stuck musically in the middle of writing a song on guitar, that going to the piano and playing through what I’ve got so far can point me to a new idea that works.

As far as process tools—I’m trying to reboot my songwriting after many years of near-dormancy, and I’ve been looking at a lot of books and websites. One book that I’ve really liked is Songwriting in Practice by Mark Simos. There’s nothing (or very little) in the book about artistic content — nothing about how to construct a melody or a lyric. It’s all about the practical, logistical side of things — how to organize your work so that it’s easy to be productive, keep track of what you’re doing, and access ideas quickly. I doubt that I’ll adopt his methods outright, but reading about them will help me find a system of my own.
To your ending sentence: Knowledge isn't biased in its origin and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable-
Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 AM

I use my iphone quite a bit. To record new instrumentals I stumble upon while late night playing so I can remember them the next day. And then later when I put things together and add words, so I can have a "copy" of how something originated. I find sometimes when I first come up with something, it has some nice creative embellishments that I forget later when I "polish" the song to a more finished version. So I like to have a video to help me remember later what I was playing when in the more creative process to remember intro, instrumentals that later get forgotten.

I have a job where I drive through desert southwest and find that it works to sing while I drive mindlessly through scenic landscapes to work out new phrasing and words and expand on ideas.

I write with google docs, easy to edit and save a few versions till you finalize a song. Store it in the cloud and access it anywhere and everywhere you are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write