The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-13-2021, 06:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I got these for cents on the dollar when a studio lost its storage space. Tell the truth, I'm cool with the look. There's just the "housewife acceptance factor." My wife is just so patient with me. The grilles were lightweight, built up from tapered molding stock with black mesh grille cloth stretched across them. We had them for our 813s but I've never seen them for the 811s.

Here is what I sit in front of all day:

UREI 813B/Cs, from the period right after JBL bought UREI. We have architectural grilles for these:

That's a shot from about ten years ago. Note the CRT. Interestingly, they aren't mounted in the walls - we broke through the concrete foundation, poured footings, and had custom columns and supports mounted onto them. Boxes of two laters of 3/4" play sit on the columns and the speakers slide into those. None of it is in contact with walls or floor (notice the soft rubber caulk), and thus they transfer virtually no bass vibration through either floor or walls.

And Studio One. Yes indeed. And Barry. He got such an interesting sound from the '69 LP Deluxe that he bought from J.R. When Jeff Carlisie of 38 Special visited Studio One and saw Barry playing that guitar and Rodney Mills producing he liked the sound enough that he bought one at a shop in Buckhead. Did you work with Rodney?

I still have my copy. J.R. Cobb. and Buddy Buie, owners of the studio. Gone now.

I never had a chance to work with Scullies. Ampex, Otari, MCI, Sony, but no Scullys. Heard a lot about 'em, though. We've still got our Sony with Dolby SR in the machine room.

Sounds like Barry used his Tele on "Ernestine." I've seen pics of Studio One , with the two nooks in the studio, one on each side of the control room. Did you guys really put an amp in each for Lynyrd Skynyrd? Lots of stories from Studio One.

My band played Atlanta Federal Pen back in 1978. That was a trip.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Bob,

Ah yes, I remember Urei monitors in Studio 1 in Doraville, GA (Yes, THAT Doraville, home of the Atlanta Rhythm Section).
They are great speakers!
I assume the 'grill' is a deep box affair in order to cover everything? If you were not going to bother with the grill, they look very easy to veneer.
I think you're just having a Pipe Dream, but maybe I'm just loving their industrial presence and the reminder of days gone by sitting in the Studio 1 control room listening to Barry Bailey play 'Ernestine' with a Scully 8 track whirring behind me while I gaped.......
HE

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-13-2021, 07:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Bob,
I remember the Urei's at Studio 1 hanging from the ceiling, sideways......

As far as Barry Bailey goes.......<sigh>........we drove 18 hours straight through the pouring rain from Long Island to Doraville, 6 of us in a Chrysler Newport Custom.

We pulled up to the industrial park where Studio 1 was located very near the Perimeter, I think it was called.....at 6:00AM......and the place is still hopping from the night before.

Breakfast at the Awful House would follow almost every morning thereafter......anyway.......

We walk in, get introduced to everybody, and Buddy Buie loudly asks "Who's the geetar player?"

Let me just digress for a moment......

I figured out, after the fact, that the band was really pissed off at me just because I could never hold my tongue, in general, and they chalked it up to who knows what, but nobody ever thought to sit down quietly with me and have a discussion, but enough of that.......

So I answer Buddy (who I NOW know was setting me up at the behest of the band leader, Richie Supa) "I'm the guitar player".

He sits me down in his chair behind the console (next to Rodney Mills) and he cranks up Ernestine on the Ureis.

It was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life, and I instantaneously became a Barry Bailey fanboy.....much to the chagrin of all involved who were trying to 'show me up' or 'teach me a lesson' or 'put me in my place'.

They did me the biggest favor you can imagine: They gave me a humble, soft spoken guitar monster to look up to, and learn from. I'm still friends (on FB) with Barry to this day, and it's incredibly sad that his career was taken from him by Multiple Sclerosis.

As far as what Barry used on Ernestine: I'm quite sure he used his 1960 Les Paul Special through a Maestro amp, the one that has a volume control that's also an on/off switch, and an 8" speaker.

I played through it also, and I was able to get really nice tone from my early 1960's Strat, but as you well know: The sound of a player is NOT the amp or the guitar.

Barry always sounds like Barry no matter what he played.

Side note: When ARS was playing on Long Island I had Barry over for dinner at my parents house, and I took him to the local mall to get his ear pierced.

Great memories, treasured forever I guarantee you.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 07-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Where in Long Island? My wife was born in Mineola. One of her dad's first jobs was at North American.

I had a hilarious (but much shorter) trip with my band down to Atlanta. We piled the gear into a Dodge van with the drummer and the sound mixer. The rest of us plus the bassist's girlfriend were in the bassist's 1965 Chevy Chevelle. The bassist and girlfriend occupied the front seat. Myself, the other guitarist, and the keyboardist sat in the back. They piled all the guitar cases on our knees to the ceiling and stacked pillows between us and the cases. It was a snowy midwinter and we developed a flat as we neared our destination on the beltway. I, the lead guitarist, was the only one who knew how to change a flat (!). I changed it in the freezing air, at night, with traffic zooming by four feet away at 60mph.

And where did we play? Atlanta Federal Penitentiary. We took the stage thirty-six hours after ZZ Top. We loaded in to the security checkpoint and up to that moment I had completely forgotten that my twenty-pound toolbox complete with hacksaw, knives, side-cutters, soldering iron, and various other implements of destruction were in the road cases. The guys at security were very kind and held it for me. Ah, band travel stories.
Quote:
I figured out, after the fact, that the band was really pissed off at me just because I could never hold my tongue, in general, and they chalked it up to who knows what, but nobody ever thought to sit down quietly with me and have a discussion, but enough of that.......
Aren't band politics funny? And aren't lead guitarists similar in their early 20s? This band eventually broke up because I was REALLY serious about things, saw the potential of the band, and pushed for us to get serious. They just wanted to have fun and I took the fun out of it. But, like you, no-one thought to pull me over and give me a clue to chill.
Quote:
They did me the biggest favor you can imagine: They gave me a humble, soft spoken guitar monster to look up to, and learn from.
You've probably heard about my encounter with a similar humble professional when I was fifteen years old, but I'll include a link HERE in case you haven't.
Quote:
As far as what Barry used on Ernestine: I'm quite sure he used his 1960 Les Paul Special through a Maestro amp, the one that has a volume control that's also an on/off switch, and an 8" speaker.
Fooled me! But still, slab body, single-coil pickups.

Bob

Old 07-13-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Where in Long Island? My wife was born in Mineola. One of her dad's first jobs was at North American.

I had a hilarious (but much shorter) trip with my band down to Atlanta. We piled the gear into a Dodge van with the drummer and the sound mixer. The rest of us plus the bassist's girlfriend were in the bassist's 1965 Chevy Chevelle. The bassist and girlfriend occupied the front seat. Myself, the other guitarist, and the keyboardist sat in the back. They piled all the guitar cases on our knees to the ceiling and stacked pillows between us and the cases. It was a snowy midwinter and we developed a flat as we neared our destination on the beltway. I, the lead guitarist, was the only one who knew how to change a flat (!). I changed it in the freezing air, at night, with traffic zooming by four feet away at 60mph.

And where did we play? Atlanta Federal Penitentiary. We took the stage thirty-six hours after ZZ Top. We loaded in to the security checkpoint and up to that moment I had completely forgotten that my twenty-pound toolbox complete with hacksaw, knives, side-cutters, soldering iron, and various other implements of destruction were in the road cases. The guys at security were very kind and held it for me. Ah, band travel stories.

Aren't band politics funny? And aren't lead guitarists similar in their early 20s? This band eventually broke up because I was REALLY serious about things, saw the potential of the band, and pushed for us to get serious. They just wanted to have fun and I took the fun out of it. But, like you, no-one thought to pull me over and give me a clue to chill.
You've probably heard about my encounter with a similar humble professional when I was fifteen years old, but I'll include a link HERE in case you haven't.
Fooled me! But still, slab body, single-coil pickups.

Bob
Nice story in the link, and your speakers look nice. Are both 15's drivers, or is one a PR? How many Q.F. are the cabs? They look big. Also, do you remember what year JBL bought out UREI?
Old 07-13-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
We have pictures......

This piece I saw gave me an idea...

.....and so I began......

...and of course....

...and then....

....to finish the thought.....

....with the basic premise being.....

In a little while everything will be walked upstairs to the atrium where I have pictured (in my mind) that it will look perfect, and hopefully sound half as good as it looks sitting on my makeshift basement bench:-)

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Very nice looking wood work Howard... You should be proud!
Old 07-13-2021, 05:38 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Nice story in the link, and your speakers look nice. Are both 15's drivers, or is one a PR? How many Q.F. are the cabs? They look big. Also, do you remember what year JBL bought out UREI?
If you are asking about the 813B/Cs at work, both drivers are active and are 15". If you are asking about my 811Cs sitting on top of Sony subwoofers, the 811Cs have a 15" driver and the subwoofers have 12" drivers.

Cubic inches of the 811Cs are 9463.44 when measuring exterior dimensions. That's 21.2"(W) x 26.2" (High) x 17"(D) in my configuration. That converts to 5.46 cubic feet. The cubic inch volume of the 813Bs is 25,668. That's 36"x31"x23". That reduces to 14.85 cubic feet.

By the way, here is a pic of the "C" series coaxial driver, front and back:

And finally, the year UREI was purchase by JBL was 1986. The 813s at the studio are B/C series drivers. JBL bought up the company when they were at version "B" and immediately began tweaking the design. The 813s at the studio are from after JBL tweaked the design but sill feature the stamped Altec drivers. The 811s at home came from the later "C" series and feature the re-engineered woofers with a cast basket that has a silver rim as in the picture above. I don't have any history of the tweeter changes after the purchase but I can say that the "C" tweeters are a tad crisper and yet prettier than the "B" tweeters.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Womack; 07-13-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Very nice looking wood work Howard... You should be proud!
Thanks, GP!

Here they are in situ:

HE
Old 07-15-2021, 04:05 AM

Lookin’ sharp! Hope they sound as good!
Quote:
Thanks, GP!

Here they are in situ:

HE
Old 07-15-2021, 05:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Lookin’ sharp! Hope they sound as good!
Rick,
They do, and I've only listened at well under 1/4 volume so far.

The built-in Bluetooth on the Tascam is very convenient for listening to my phone content, or internet radio.

The Heresy speakers are very efficient, so 45 watts from the Sony is way more than sufficient for aural pleasure.

HE
Old 07-15-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, GP!

Here they are in situ:

HE
Everything looks terrific Howard! You have done some great cabinet work there!

You have to feel great about how good this stuff looks! And I'm sure it all sounds wonderful!

Well done!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN