The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 02:32 PM

I’m a carpenter by trade and have tennis elbow on the left and golfers elbow on the right. Daily guitar playing definitely makes it worse. It’s most likely that your golfers elbow wasn’t initially caused by strumming but can continue to nag you until you put the guitar down for awhile. I personally can’t wait that long, so I continue to stubbornly suffer.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

If you have elbow pain, watch this video. This helped me completely resolve elbow pain. It took some time, but it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kTNk3qEuLM
Old 07-29-2021, 06:02 PM
Eric Skye

I had about a difficult and scary six-month-long bout of Golfer's Elbow in my fretting arm (left) maybe ten years ago. After working with an occupational therapist a few times it was clear I needed to get my guitar neck up. So I got a Neck-Up https://www.neckup.com and it went away quickly and never came back. And now I can't imagine playing without that thing
Old 07-29-2021, 11:58 PM

I posted earlier in this thread (April of 2019) about my tennis elbow and here I am over 2 years later and I'm still putting up with it. I did end up going to a PT, and they worked my strength up from ~30% back up to normal. I actually think my strength was greater than my baseline / greater than before the injury. I feel it often still, but it doesn't prevent me from doing anything. Low resistance for long periods of time is what hurts most (like holding my wrist up above my computer's track pad).

When I went to PT the first time, I brought the Theraband with me. The PT said they don't use it. They have other very simple and very effective exercises, and they worked in the sense of making my elbow stronger very quickly, but not 100% healed.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-30-2021, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I posted earlier in this thread (April of 2019) about my tennis elbow and here I am over 2 years later and I'm still putting up with it. I did end up going to a PT, and they worked my strength up from ~30% back up to normal. I actually think my strength was greater than my baseline / greater than before the injury. I feel it often still, but it doesn't prevent me from doing anything. Low resistance for long periods of time is what hurts most (like holding my wrist up above my computer's track pad).

When I went to PT the first time, I brought the Theraband with me. The PT said they don't use it. They have other very simple and very effective exercises, and they worked in the sense of making my elbow stronger very quickly, but not 100% healed.

Thanks for the update. I’ll head to PT if these current exercises don’t work. Sounds like it could be a discouraging journey ahead. As long as I can keep playing, that’s the goal.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:48 AM

I fixed mine by working out with some light weights. It took about a month, but the pain eventually went away. My Dr. described it as intensely using a very small muscle group to play/practice guitar without having the supportive muscle strength to back it up. I also used the band mentioned earlier in this thread.

I slack off with exercising every now and again, and after a week or so, I start feeling the pain creeping back in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion