The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2020, 08:45 PM

The quality of the recording was so average that if you put a blindfold over me I couldn't tell you which guitar was which, but just because one is a Ryan and one is a Taylor I'm going to join the mob mentality in saying the Ryan was clearly far superior to the Taylor due to its brand name and not because there was any clear quality of tone that could be discerned from the recording.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John5 View Post
The quality of the recording was so average that if you put a blindfold over me I couldn't tell you which guitar was which, but just because one is a Ryan and one is a Taylor I'm going to join the mob mentality in saying the Ryan was clearly far superior to the Taylor due to its brand name and not because there was any clear quality of tone that could be discerned from the recording.
“Mob mentality”, really? Just because most of us can tell a Ryan from a Taylor?

Not a tough test actually. They’re not in the same sonic league.

The recording was sufficient for the task. The performer has experience comparing guitars. Most of the audience as well.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-14-2020, 11:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

The recording was sufficient for the task. .......
Not really. You shouldn't put a mic in front of the sound hole. The bassier guitar will come out as being louder which messes up the comparison. The only time I've seen mic placement in front of the soundhole sound good is when mid-side is the mic setup.

But I've watched/listened to Ryan's before and if I could afford one I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Great guitars with beautiful workmanship.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-15-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Not really. You shouldn't put a mic in front of the sound hole. The bassier guitar will come out as being louder which messes up the comparison. The only time I've seen mic placement in front of the soundhole sound good is when mid-side is the mic setup.

But I've watched/listened to Ryan's before and if I could afford one I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Great guitars with beautiful workmanship.
"Sufficient for the task" wasn't a glowing review of the recording.

Bobby wasn't going for a great recording. He was simply letting us hear the difference a custom made, hand crafted instrument can achieve, over a mass produced, well made instrument, costing half as much money.

I didn't think mic placement hindered that comparison.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-15-2020, 07:09 AM

I suspect I'd be happier with the mic a little further from the sound hold, but the recording clearly shows the difference between the guitars.

The Taylor sounded very good. No question a nice guitar.

The Ryan sounded much better to my ear, but I admittedly lean more toward darker/fuller/richer (no really good word) sounds. If I were shopping I'd gladly pay the difference for the Ryan.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Yes the mic should be out at the neck to body joint. Hard to listen to cavernous guitar tone with an overwhelming signal.

I also would of liked the depth of the Ryan explained. It looks like a deep body?

But nonetheless, They both sound fantastic.

I never miss any of Bobby' s videos with all the great acoustics he has.
Especially the one I bought from him a few years back. Great seller.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I don't know that the Ryan sounds better per se'...it sounds different, the two guitars are voiced for very different sonic targets. The Ryan is a prime example of the "modern wide and open" voice tone and timbre. The V Braced Taylor is a much more fundamental and controlled voice, oddly a lot more in the vintage Martin vein.

I thought that the Taylor sounded better than the Ryan when strummed and flatpicked, as I heard the Ryan's almost sub-woofer like bass response as kind of overpowering the mid's and trebles when strummed and flatpicked. Fingerpicked in the modern fingerstyle, the Ryan sounded much fuller, resonant and open to me, and would be awesome on Ed Gerhard style of play and songs...BUT...it would not work well for Ragtime or Blues style or simple Woody Guthrie type folks song fingerpicking where the clarity and balance of the Taylor would work better...and...the Taylor would be a MUCH better sounding guitar for a singer to work their voice with, as you could keep the Taylor's well controlled/balanced overall tone "behind" your voice with so much less effort.

For a 5K difference in cost, the Taylor hangs...within it's own tonal design...quite well.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
I agree wholeheartedly. I thought the Ryan was an awesome-sounding guitar and would be perfect if you wanted the rich, lush tone of a guitar played fingerstyle by someone who knows what they're doing to be the star of the show. With vocals, it'd just get in the way. Flatpicked, I think I preferred the sound and response of the Taylor--it was drier and less complex.

I would cheerfully accept either as a gift.

Trent
Old 07-29-2021, 04:24 PM

I appreciate this comparison, but I own both of these guitars showcased in this thread. I can can tell you with complete certainty, if you were in the same room listening to these two guitars with eyes closed, you would easily be able to pick out which is which, hands down!
Old 07-30-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I appreciate this comparison, but I own both of these guitars showcased in this thread. I can can tell you with complete certainty, if you were in the same room listening to these two guitars with eyes closed, you would easily be able to pick out which is which, hands down!
There you go... now THAT is an experienced opinion.

I wonder how a X-braced Taylor would have fared? In many of the videos I have watched since the V-Class was introduced, I always prefer the tone of the X's to the V's.

A Ryan Nightingale is my holy grail acoustic, but I'll never own one. Not unless I win the lotto HOWEVER, in THAT video, I am surprised to find I like the Taylor a little better. Seems to have a little more mids? The Ryan is all high end and low end to my ears? But all the earlier points of compressed YT videos and mic placement come in to play of course....
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn

Last edited by ruger9; 07-30-2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:05 AM

I thought the Taylor sounded fine, but it was no match for the Ryan. A huge difference in sound quality, and a huge difference in price. Personally, I'd pay that difference in a heartbeat for that improved sound quality.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-30-2021, 10:19 AM

To be accurate, I own those exact models, not those exact guitars.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent in WA View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. I thought the Ryan was an awesome-sounding guitar and would be perfect if you wanted the rich, lush tone of a guitar played fingerstyle by someone who knows what they're doing to be the star of the show. With vocals, it'd just get in the way. Flatpicked, I think I preferred the sound and response of the Taylor--it was drier and less complex.

I would cheerfully accept either as a gift.

Trent
I found this to be the case as well.
Thanks for doing the comparison video, SuperB23. I appreciate the opportunity to hear a video recording of these two guitars back to back.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-30-2021, 06:32 PM

Usually I'm not a big fan of the Taylor sound, but this Taylor pleasantly surprised me with its tonal balance. I find the Ryan a bit too muffled on the bass notes not ideal in a group mix. However a Youtube recording does not prove anything, it is always better to hear them in person to give a better idea.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I found this to be the case as well.
Thanks for doing the comparison video, SuperB23. I appreciate the opportunity to hear a video recording of these two guitars back to back.

Best,
Jayne
Yes Bobby, your video comparison was most appreciated. The Taylor is definitely
no slouch. I am quite happy with the sound of both guitars, and each has its purpose.

Regards!

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion