The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I'm willing to admit -if need be- that I'm just "unaware", but I've been playing for 50 years and have had at least one guitar in my possession from "that certain builder" at all times during that period. I can't recall an issue with the pins or bridge, except a '73 D-18 that had the bridge misplaced...maybe I've just been otherwise lucky? I'm also not a "certain builder can do no wrong" person either but I'm feeling kinda in the dark on this.
Welcom to the AGNF (the N stands for nitpicking)

Some guitars
Old 06-17-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I don't think it works fine as it is. Often times it's easy to get a string not properly seated against the bridge plate because the slotted pins and string together are too big for the hole which causes the pins to ride too high. Once you've reamed and slotted a guitar you realize just how easy it is to do at home. It makes string changes easier, it makes the pins sit better, and it keeps your bridge plate in great shape. There's really no downside at all.
I wont argue with that. Ive reamed and slotted several of my own builds, but also own several factory cylindrical guitars, and am very happy with their fit as well. I guess if its important for some, they are free to buy a reamer and new set of pins, and have at it. I honestly dont know how much it would cost for Martin to do it routinely. (I mean, how much they would upcharge!)

I bet this exact discussion took place in their board room between marketing, sales, production, and a few other execs...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
Old 06-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Hands up everyone who didn't buy a Martin because they use tapered pins in straight holes? Nobody?
Um, that would be me. My only exception is a CS-OM15 that was a gift, and when I got it I reamed and slotted it. But I won't pay real money for a guitar that has soft plastic pins rocking in straight holes; it just isn't right.

Collings OM1T, OM1Mh
Goodall TROM
Martin CS-OM15
RainSong CH-OM-N2
Santa Cruz OM

Old 06-17-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFrink1 View Post
Um, that would be me. My only exception is a CS-OM15 that was a gift, and when I got it I reamed and slotted it. But I won't pay real money for a guitar that has soft plastic pins rocking in straight holes; it just isn't right.
Thank you. My faith in the human race has been restored.😉

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion