The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Default string buzzing

just wondering what could have happen. i have a solid top, lam B/S acoustic. i took it to a guitar pro and had a set up done. bone nut saddle, and pins. nut was cut for size 11 strings. the guitar had played beautiful for the past 3 months. and know 4 of the 6 strings buzz, hitting the frets, low action. could it be the humidity, will it go away if i put in a humidifier, do you thing its a neck problem or maybe the strings have set in the nut???? just looking for some imput as i would hate to make a wrong ajustment..or should i just take the hour long ride and spend the money to have it checked out....thanks all.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:14 AM

If the guitar was set up well a few months ago, I believe that the reason for the fret buzz now is that the instrument is too dry. When a guitar is dry for a long time, the top tends to "sink", including the bridge that is attached to the top, therefore the strings become too close to the fretboard and this causes fret buzz. I would suggest you to humidify the guitar for several days and see if the situation improves, before bringing it to your tech.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 AM

It's the season for dry guitars because of the low humidity. If you're not humidifying yours that would be a good place to start.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw61 View Post
the guitar had played beautiful for the past 3 months. and know 4 of the 6 strings buzz, hitting the frets, low action. could it be the humidity, will it go away if i put in a humidifier,
You live in Massachusetts and the northeast just went through a cold spell. If you haven't been humidifying your guitar, then as Gerardo said, the top is probably dried out and needs to be humidified. Another indication that your guitar is dried out is if you can feel the fret ends protruding a bit more than usual. But humidifying the guitar for a week would be my first course of action in your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw61 View Post
do you thing its a neck problem or maybe the strings have set in the nut????
It may also be the neck drying out, but strings aren't going to furrow into a nut that quickly. Guitars can be played for decade upon decade upon decade without needing a new nut. Humidify! And if that resolves the problem, humidify at least every winter from the time the cold sets in, until spring arrives and the days are warm again.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion