The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 12:05 PM

Default Cheaper Parlor or Upgrade to American Made Small Body

(First Thread) A short trip has turned into 3 weeks without a definite return date. I am without a guitar. Question is do I buy a cheaper parlor/travel/small body or should I use this as an excuse to buy an upgrade?

I am an adult beginner who is making progress and currently I have a 000-10e Martin road series. I don't have a second guitar or a travel guitar. I'm stuck in Central Florida so I don't have the same shopping options I have in DC.

Current Ideas
Parlors- CFS3, Alvarez AMP66, Guild P-240, Guild M-240 (I can play and purchase these within and hour)
USA Made Upgrade: Waterloo, Guild M-40, Gibson 00, Martin 000
Old 10-27-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornbreadKid View Post
...Question is do I buy a cheaper parlor/travel/small body or should I use this as an excuse to buy an upgrade?...
Yes

And welcome to the forum.

One question would be - do you plan on traveling much? I start twitching if I don't have a guitar around for more than a couple days. So I always take my Little Jane with me. But deciding on a travel guitar is not something I'd want to do on the spur of the moment. A small guitar doesn't necessarily make a good travel guitar. For example, I had a Taylor GS Mini, initially intended for travel, but it ended up being too big a package to comfortably haul around - for me anyway. There are several good choices for travel guitars - you can get opinions by searching previous posts here on the forum. There are small "fixed" guitars, ones like the Martin Backpacker, and on up in size, and those that disassemble into a few pieces, like the Little Jane or the Journey guitars. There are the "silent" (e.g. Yamaha) guitars, that can be very small and good if you want to be able to play in a hotel room w/o disturbing the neighbors. And there are carbon fiber guitars that don't care about what humidity conditions they're in. My point is there are more considerations when buying a travel guitar, so that might be something you want to spend some time researching.

On the other hand, if you're looking for more of a general purpose small guitar as a complement to your 000, the Alvarez and Guilds you mentioned have had good reviews here. And being without a guitar for a few weeks is certainly a good excuse to get one. I'd go out and play whatever you can find near you and see which one is the best fit.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-27-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:48 PM

I used to travel quite a bit for work and still do some for pleasure and my GS Mini mahogany usually goes with me. I think they make a great 2nd guitar. Pop in a K&K mini and you're all set to plug in too.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Welcome to the AGF CornbreadKid!

How long will you be in Florida? I say go for an upgrade if that's what you want but if you have more selection in DC than wait until you get home to buy. Don't settle on something you find in FL unless it's "the one". Play as many guitars in as many stores as you can just in case you find it. Include the cost of shipping it back to DC as well if you don't feel comfortable checking it in on a flight.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll be here at least three more weeks and possibly longer. I have access to a bad home shopping network guitar but it is uninspiring. I agree with everyone that for my upgrade guitar I really need to play a bunch of guitars which is pushing me a little towards a cheaper parlor that I can pickup at the surrounding box guitar stores. If I bought something nice I'd drive home.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:46 PM

Buy a GS Mini at Guitar Center and in 3 weeks time you'll know whether you want to keep it or not. If not, avail yourself of the 45 day return period or you should be able to sell it 2nd hand quickly. They are not for everyone but they fill a niche very nicely. I wouldn't want one as my ONLY guitar, but for a 2nd travel/knockaround guitar they are great.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:32 AM

I agree with some of the posters above when it comes to the Mini. My GS Mini has become my favorite guitar. It travels easily, and is a lot of fun to play.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 10-28-2021, 08:00 AM

I would not buy an expensive guitar while on a long travelling bout...

The cheaper and quite less thief attractive but nice Alvarez AP would do it for me.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:44 AM

Thanks mawmow. Though I'm sitting in a retirement community and not traveling about I take your point. I will heed Kevin and Dru's advice and probably leave the upgrading for later since I have a lot more options closer to where I live. This weekend I'm going to try to do the GC and Sam Ash thing and I'll try some GS Minis, Alvarez's, and other budget parlor/00 stuff. Until then I'll keep my callouses up on this Keith Urban HSN special.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion