The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-27-2021, 08:59 AM

Default “System Haptics?”

Anybody know what the heck this “system haptics” button in Settings in my iPhone 11 is or does? I went into Settings for something else and saw that there and I have no idea what “system haptics” is. It’s in the On position right now, I guess that must be the default position as I have never changed it…I think I’m afraid to. 😂
Old 10-27-2021, 09:17 AM

You can switch it and see if you like it. When you press 'buttons', it makes the phone feel like it's 'thumping.' It simply provides more interactive feedback.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
You can switch it and see if you like it. When you press 'buttons', it makes the phone feel like it's 'thumping.' It simply provides more interactive feedback.
Absolutely correct. A vibration created when touching the screen. Uses battery power up faster too I noticed.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:21 AM

Thanks guys, that clears that up, much appreciated.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:46 PM

I'm coming off like a jerk, but in the future, if you want a quicker answer, Google knows just about any generic question on tech:

https://macreports.com/iphone-system...le-or-disable/
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-27-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'm coming off like a jerk, but in the future, if you want a quicker answer, Google knows just about any generic question on tech:

https://macreports.com/iphone-system...le-or-disable/
Yeah, I know, but I like the interaction between my friends here on the forum and a lot of times they add things I would never see on Google.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Absolutely correct. A vibration created when touching the screen. Uses battery power up faster too I noticed.
It's part of the design on newer devices and also a setting we don't let hundreds of users change. It obviously uses some amount of the battery but it is inconsequential.

With several dozen devices in management using any one of 3 profiles that keep haptics on has not really showed as a battery saver. With so many using the devices overall I would think we'd see a lot of news if it was really a problem.

Two family members who have vision issues have accessibility features, bright screens and the haptics and seem to get rather normal battery life. The screen is big battery burner.

My big issue with the haptics is missing the touch sensitive glass earlier phones and watches had. I like that a lot. Obviously others didn't and didn't know it existed. Many software developers didn't use it.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It's part of the design on newer devices and also a setting we don't let hundreds of users change. It obviously uses some amount of the battery but it is inconsequential.

With several dozen devices in management using any one of 3 profiles that keep haptics on has not really showed as a battery saver. With so many using the devices overall I would think we'd see a lot of news if it was really a problem.

Two family members who have vision issues have accessibility features, bright screens and the haptics and seem to get rather normal battery life. The screen is big battery burner.

My big issue with the haptics is missing the touch sensitive glass earlier phones and watches had. I like that a lot. Obviously others didn't and didn't know it existed. Many software developers didn't use it.
Yeah, it probably doesn't drain the battery much.

I'm really confused though what your big issue is though. It's missing the touch sensitive glass? You like that's it's missing the glass or you like the haptics that's not there? You said you "like that a lot". I'm confused with what "that" is...

Also, why don't you let hundreds of users turn off the haptics?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-28-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yeah, it probably doesn't drain the battery much.

I'm really confused though what your big issue is though. It's missing the touch sensitive glass? You like that's it's missing the glass or you like the haptics that's not there? You said you "like that a lot". I'm confused with what "that" is...

Also, why don't you let hundreds of users turn off the haptics?
The lock down is so all the users _do_ have haptics among other things. So so someone being a smarty pants, naughty or daft doesn't wreck it for someone else. We have it where you do little more than get the devices on WiFi and enroll them in MDM (mobile device manager) and they're configured automatically.

A few apps I used had nice feature menus as you pressed harder. When that came along on iPhone 7 on I liked it. The earlier watches had that. It was an expense to make, many developers didn't take advantage of it, many users were not aware or didn't use it.

The current press duration and haptics are pretty good. I'm over it at least not that angry guy shaking his fist while parked in the round about LOL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic