The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 08:05 PM

Default Quilted Mahogany D-18?

Hello, this is my first post. I’m hoping to get some insight into a guitar that I recently got. I traded an electric guitar I had (Gretsch hollobody) for a “custom handmade” d-18 style guitar. It was built by a luthier in Georgia. The interesting thing I have some questions about is the back and sides are made of quilted mahogany. Some research has shown this is pretty rare/expensive wood and I also have only see a few others that are up for sale. Does anyone know anything about quilted mahogany? Does it being “handmade” from a relatively unknown luthier mean anything also? The guitar sounds beautiful and very very similar to a Martin D-18 if not better.. It is also a “lightweight” version with 2mm top, compared to the standard 3 or 4 mm whatever it is. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you

Last edited by Guitardude12; 10-27-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:48 PM

See if you can find a Martin D-18 Andy Griffith model -- they were made using figured mahogany.

Fred
Old 10-26-2021, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

This Martin 000-14F is exquisite:

If yours looks and sounds a fraction as good as that, it’s a keeper. Not sure what it’s worth if you have no idea who made it.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:37 PM

So far as I’m aware, there are no tonal advantages or disadvantages to the quilted mahogany, it’s just cosmetically different. Any improvements in the sound would be due to extra care taken by the builder, not because the wood is inherently superior.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-27-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post
See if you can find a Martin D-18 Andy Griffith model -- they were made using figured mahogany.

Fred

I have looked it up and the d-18 I have looks better! Believe it or not. I’m flabbergasted that I haven’t seen a lot that even look like the one I have. I will try to upload pictures? Had trouble figuring out how. here are some pictures https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...wO?usp=sharing

Last edited by Guitardude12; 10-27-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
This Martin 000-14F is exquisite:

If yours looks and sounds a fraction as good as that, it’s a keeper. Not sure what it’s worth if you have no idea who made it.

It looks similar and sounds something like it for sure! Thank you for replying
here are some pictures https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...wO?usp=sharing

Last edited by Guitardude12; 10-27-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
So far as I’m aware, there are no tonal advantages or disadvantages to the quilted mahogany, it’s just cosmetically different. Any improvements in the sound would be due to extra care taken by the builder, not because the wood is inherently superior.

Wade Hampton Miller

Thank you for replying. It is a 2010 from a guy names M.L. Jones. It is a fantastic build as far as I can tell. The one thing that shocked me is stew mac . Com selling two pieces of it for $3,000. I was curious as to why i’ve only seen them on custom shop models and/or hand built from relatively unknown luthiers. It is beautiful cosmetically absolutely so that would make sense
Old 10-27-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post

Fred
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...wO?usp=sharing

here are some pictures. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Wade Hampton Miller
here are some pictures. thank you

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...wO?usp=sharing
Old 10-27-2021, 08:32 AM

Wow! That’s one beautiful guitar!
Old 10-27-2021, 09:07 AM

There was a Martin custom D18 with figured mahogany and some type of European spruce, at a guitar center a few years back that was one that I let get away. I'm still kickin my self, and it was for good price
It was in the Washington DC area, any of you guys or gals get it
Old 10-27-2021, 09:13 AM

It's a beauty. The top looks more like cedar than spruce. Know what it is?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 10-27-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardude12 View Post
Hello, this is my first post. I’m hoping to get some insight into a guitar that I recently got. I traded an electric guitar I had (Gretsch hollobody) for a “custom handmade” d-18 style guitar. It was built by a luthier in Georgia. The interesting thing I have some questions about is the back and sides are made of quilted mahogany. Some research has shown this is pretty rare/expensive wood and I also have only see a few others that are up for sale. Does anyone know anything about quilted mahogany? Does it being “handmade” from a relatively unknown luthier mean anything also? The guitar sounds beautiful and very very similar to a Martin D-18 if not better.. It is also a “lightweight” version with 2mm top, compared to the standard 3 or 4 mm whatever it is. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you
My long-gone Taylor XXV Anniversary D had quilted sapele, often mis-named mahogany. Here...body.https://davesguitar.com/products/tay...ary-xxv-dr-99/
Old 10-27-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardude12 View Post
Hello, this is my first post. I’m hoping to get some insight into a guitar that I recently got. I traded an electric guitar I had (Gretsch hollowbody) for a “custom handmade” D18 style guitar...Please let me know what you guys think...
Welcome to the Forum , and it's a shame you didn't get here sooner - there's a whole bunch of us Gretsch lovers over on the Electric Guitars subforum (check it out when you get the chance) who probably would've been happy to take that Gretsch hollow off your hands, and for a good price...
Old 10-27-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
It's a beauty. The top looks more like cedar than spruce. Know what it is?

I was told it was spruce. However, it does look like cedar! It very well might be. The guy I had gotten from hadn’t been playing for long and may have mistaken it as spruce.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion