The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Default First gig with ToneDexter/StompMix 4/Headrush 108

I've been keen to simplify/downsize my singer/songwriter rig for some time and used the dead pandemic months to swap into the following setup:

ToneDexter (fed from my K&K-equipped Collings)
StompMix 4
Headrush powered speaker (8" woofer)

The grocery I played Saturday took the following short clip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVX3BB_D6wr/

Overall I'm very satisfied with this very compact setup.

I've spent less than fifteen minutes capturing my ToneDexter IR, and I probably can improve on it, but as far as the gig goes it was pretty much "plug in and go." I did end up rolling off some low end as it seemed to be a little much for the small speaker. Otherwise, I got a good tone and it was easy as can be.

The StompMix is also really easy to use. I have quite a bit of experience using digital and analog mixers, so I'm a bit ahead of the game there, but I expect the StompMix would be pretty intuitive for anyone who took the time to find the various functions. I never had an instance where I needed to put my finger on a setting and couldn't go there quickly.

The Headrush cab is a rebranded Alto I think and it's pretty nice. Low self-noise and very compact, with one tone switch to choose between a flat/FRFR setting and one that is slightly mid-scooped. I thought my vocals sounded really clear and plenty loud. I did roll off some lows from the guitar as mentioned. I may not have had to do so with a 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet, but then those wouldn't have fit in my Rubbermaid bin with all my cables either!

The only thing I'd like to find is a pedalboard power supply that is capable of powering both the StompMix and the ToneDexter. Right now I have one that will do the Dexter only...the StompMix draws more current than it will provide. If anyone has any suggestions on that front please pass them along.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:56 PM

Cool set up. I like the concept.

On the clip I thought the vocals sounded great. Couldn’t hear much sparkle on the guitar but that was probably just the recording.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
Cool set up. I like the concept.

On the clip I thought the vocals sounded great. Couldn’t hear much sparkle on the guitar but that was probably just the recording.
I agree. The speaker was facing away from the camera, and the vocal was much louder and probably had more reflection going on.

One thing I haven’t quite figure out about monitoring from my “main” is how to do a sound check to balance my vocal and guitar signals. I’ll probably start doing one song with the speaker a little closer to me before moving it out in front of the mic.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
The only thing I'd like to find is a pedalboard power supply that is capable of powering both the StompMix and the ToneDexter. Right now I have one that will do the Dexter only...the StompMix draws more current than it will provide. If anyone has any suggestions on that front please pass them along.
I went online and found the big brother of the power supply that comes with the ToneDexter:

I also added a 12-9V converter and reversed the polarity for my 9V pedals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 10-26-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:36 AM

Nice! That single Headrush/Alto sounds much bigger than it looks.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification