The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2021, 06:58 AM

Default Stay Or Go?

So I have this rather beautiful sunburst Guild D-55E. It's a wonderful instrument; well made, toneful as the day is long.

But it's not a Martin D-18.

For as long as I can remember. the Martin D-18 has been, for me, the quintessential acoustic guitar. I find it to be perfect in every way. It's sound is balanced and strong and possesses a pedigree unmatched.

Playing the Guild is like playing a tuxedo. It's gorgeous. It's lines and points are perfect. The abalone adorning the guitar shimmers like few ever will. The Martin, conversely, shines in its simplicity.

The last time I played a new D-18 was 2013, and I was blown away. I wasn't in a position to acquire it at the time but, if I let the Guild go, I could certainly do it, and probably pocket a few bucks, as well.

So, I wonder, which side of the fence would you fall over to?
Old 10-24-2021, 07:03 AM

My suggestion is to find the ACTUAL D-18 that makes you want to make the sacrifice. Don't make decisions based on the idea of a guitar. If you play it side by side with your Guild, you'll know. But wait until you're sure that the actual guitar you are taking home is better than the one you'll be leaving behind.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:09 AM

Default Go to the shop and play it first

Hello- Go to the shop and play the one you think you want first. It may sound different from the one you heard 8 years ago. If you don't you might end up kicking yourself for letting the Guild go. The Guild you have is a great guitar. Don't trade based on a name, image, or sound that you have in your head. Personally, you should keep the Guild if you like the look and tone.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:15 AM

I learned my lesson long ago. Get the one you really want because you will never be satisfied with a substitute. It will always be an unsatisfying substitute.

Those are two very different guitars, rosewood vs mahogany. 1 3/4 nut width vs 1 11/12. Neither one is better than the other. It all comes down to what you really want.

Jerry
Old 10-24-2021, 07:22 AM

As others have said play some D-18s and find the one that really makes you want to sell the Guild. Do NOT sell the Guild first. I have played great, good, ok and so-so Martin D-18s.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:26 AM

You're trading in the wrong direction for me, but the ear wants what the ear wants.

Best case might be to keep the Guild and keep looking for a used D-18 in your price range, unless you need the money.

This is a very strange shopping market in terms of almost everything, so you might want to consider waiting a while longer (unless the GAS is keeping you up at night).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-24-2021, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Tough choice. Two of my favorite guitars. There's a reason that they're iconic.

Don't let that Guild go (sunburst, no less!). Save your pennies and buy a D-18.

Then you can be on both sides of that fence.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:31 AM

Yes, jbeecham is right. If you have "D-18" stuck in your head, the D-55 is always going to be second best in the back of your mind while you don't have a D-18.

But the memory is a verdant garden growing in fertile soil. Maybe if you heard that D-18 from 2013 today you wouldn't be so impressed. If you sell or trade the D-55, when the "new and wonderful" calms down with the D-18, you'll probably start kicking yourself for getting rid of the D-55.

So! The answer to this dilemma is to be patient. I love D-18s, so I know it's hard. Keep the D-55, which is a great guitar by the way, and save up for the D-18. There are some new models coming and all sorts of stuff. When you have the money, do as was suggested above - go out and play a bunch, and find just the right one.

Cross the days off on the calendar each day as you progress toward your goal. Good things come to those who wait. And this way, you won't look back with 20/20 hindsight and kick yourself every time you hear "D-55".
Old 10-24-2021, 08:47 AM

You need to play as many D-18s as you can find to see if you still want one. If you find the right one then you need to buy it otherwise you'll always still want a Martin.

The problem you'll run into is that if you need to sell your Guild you may always regret it, given how much you like it.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Tough choice. Two of my favorite guitars. There's a reason that they're iconic.

Don't let that Guild go (sunburst, no less!). Save your pennies and buy a D-18.

Then you can be on both sides of that fence.
I agree with this ^.

If you have both and play both for 6 months or a year, you can decide to sell either after thoroughly exploring both, comparing them when you are in different moods, seeing if you tend to play both or simply gravitate towards one most often. IF you decide to sell the Guild after such a lengthy process, you are MUCH less likely to regret it.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Save your pennies and buy a D-18.
Truth! I am not an either/or guy.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Had a Guild D25M for over 40 years. Never wanted a D-18. The Guild was plenty for me. At a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Pack your Guild up and go on a road trip and play a few Martins. If you find one that does it for you, trade in the Guild. A guitar that doesn't inspire you, isn't worth the strings on it. You want a guitar that makes you want to pick it up every time you look at it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-24-2021, 10:11 AM

TBman offers great advice!

FWIW, I went through my D-18 phase years ago and now am delighted to have a D-55 . . .

Good luck with your quest!
Old 10-24-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You need to play as many D-18s as you can find to see if you still want one. If you find the right one then you need to buy it otherwise you'll always still want a Martin.

The problem you'll run into is that if you need to sell your Guild you may always regret it, given how much you like it.

This is my opinion in a nutshell.

Some years ago I was considering selling my Guild D35 to help finance a Martin D28. They are very different guitars to be sure. I didn’t in the end and I’m so glad I didn’t. Apart from the fact that there is sentimental value attached to the Guild (it was my Dad’s though it’s been mine for a lot longer) but after some work done to it a year or so ago it plays like a dream now.

Is it like a Martin D28? No, it is very much a Guild and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I would miss it if I’d sold it. What’s more these days I’m more in to the OM body style and size so who knows if I hadn’t regretted getting a D28 after all…?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion