The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2021, 11:06 AM

Default Update: How to Amplify a Trio, 2 Acoustics w/pickups, 2 Vocalists

Up until now the band I've been playing in already has an amp/mixer that accommodates up to 10 performers, with separate stereo speakers.

I'm now at a stage in my playing that I would like to also perform solo or in a trio. The other two members of the trio already have small amps/speakers that handle acoustic guitar and vocals, I believe one is a Fishman, can't recall the other, maybe a small Roland, both are small & easy to transport.

So I'm looking for an amp/with built in speaker to handle my vocals and my acoustic. I use a Sennheiser dynamic mic and have a Martin 000-18 with a K&K mini w/soundhole volume knob. My budget is max of $500 and at my advanced age, the less bells and whistles, the better. I just want something reliable that can do justice to my Martin and can survive my vocals. Small and light is preferable but not at the expense of sound. If needed, I also have a DI box that I use when playing with the large ensemble, going into the amp/mixer mentioned above.

Suggestions?

UPDATE: After doing some research, it occurs to me that it might make more sense for us to ditch the individual mini-amps listed above and go with a PA type system for our trio. We are a trio with 2 acoustic guitars w/built-in pickups, a female vocalist and I sing as well. It would be nice if the other guitarist could also be mic'd although more for talking than singing. What should I be considering for essentially 5 inputs, 2 guitars w/pickups and three vocals?

Last edited by shekie; 10-25-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
Up until now the band I've been playing in already has an amp/mixer that accommodates up to 10 performers, with separate stereo speakers.

I'm now at a stage in my playing that I would like to also perform solo or in a trio. The other two members of the trio already have small amps/speakers that handle acoustic guitar and vocals, I believe one is a Fishman, can't recall the other, maybe a small Roland, both are small & easy to transport.

So I'm looking for an amp/with built in speaker to handle my vocals and my acoustic. I use a Sennheiser dynamic mic and have a Martin 000-18 with a K&K mini w/soundhole volume knob. My budget is max of $500 and at my advanced age, the less bells and whistles, the better. I just want something reliable that can do justice to my Martin and can survive my vocals. Small and light is preferable but not at the expense of sound. If needed, I also have a DI box that I use when playing with the large ensemble, going into the amp/mixer mentioned above.

Suggestions?
I've got a lot of years of gigging behind me and totally understand your needs. I'll recommend my setup, which is a Cube EX amp and a Gator mini speaker stand to use with it.

I've gigged with this setup with my playing partner who uses a similar rig. It's ideal,with built in true stereo effects, dual 8" drivers with 2" tweeters, totally separate microphone and instrument channels, and it's LOUD if you want it to be.

It's also lightweight and easy to carry. You can even use it with Eight AA batteries for several HOURS of freedom from the need for AC power. It's a favorite of many buskers for that reason.

Here's a quick example of the Cube EX in use:

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-23-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Can't go wrong with Fishman.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

The ACoustic brand has a small, trapezoidal shaped acoustic amp that Guitar Center just had on sale for $120... a friend has one and it sounds pretty darned good for what it is...

The Fishman Loudbox mini is often spoken highly of on these pages...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-23-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Fishman Loudbox Mini. Small, light, inexpensive and easily found used. If you need phantom power for the mic then the Fishman Loudbox Artist is even better and also can readily be found used in your budget.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

A used Loudbox Artist would be perfect for your needs.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-25-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

If you need 5 XLR/TRS inputs, a small mixer and separate powered speaker(s) is still probably your best bet. Many options for 8 channel mixers (which are usually only 6 or 7 XLR/TRS), at all price points, depending on what you consider important features. I’ve been smitten by the Zoom mixers - love the features and capabilities, and quality seems very good too. Bose has a feature rich 8 channel, but its a bit pricey compared to other options, but quality and features are very nice. I like being able to use my mixer as an audio interface, and also as a stand alone recorder - but that may not matter to you. Powered speakers are all over in price as well - those you need to spend a bit of time listening to before deciding whats good enough -
Old 10-27-2021, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Based on your updated needs, any mixer and powered speaker will be fine. Each can be found anywhere on the price quality spectrum. In my limited experience using this combination, I found that I preferred an inexpensive mixer and a higher quality powered speaker. In my case, I used a Behringer 8 channel mixer and a single QSC k8.2 speaker. The sound was great.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:39 AM

Sorry for my ever-evolving situation, it turns out in addition to owning a Fishman Loudbox Mini, my co-guitarist in this trio also just told me he owns an 8 channel mixer.

So, I think the way to go would be to put the mics into the mixer, and the guitars into DI boxes (we already own) and then also into the mixer.

My latest (hopefully last) question is, since he already owns a Loudbox Mini, does it make sense for me to get one so we have a matching stereo pair of speakers to connect to the mixer? I know it's only off Youtube videos, but frankly, I haven't liked the Loudbox Mini in these videos as much as some other amp/speakers that they have been compared to. The Loudbox Mini sounds a bit overly bright, almost harsh in these videos, compared to for example, the Bose S1 Pro, which to my ears sounds smoother with less midrange edginess.

Would it be ludicrous for me to buy an S1 Pro and use it along with the Loudbox Mini as a speaker pair off the mixer? The reason for doing this would be so that I have a stand-alone amp/speaker I could use as a solo performer should I decide to go that route, a product I think sounds considerably better than the Loudbox Mini. Or would it be such a sonic mismatch when the trio plays, that having the Loudbox Mini as 1 channel and the Bose as the other would sound awful.?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post

Would it be ludicrous for me to buy an S1 Pro and use it along with the Loudbox Mini as a speaker pair off the mixer? The reason for doing this would be so that I have a stand-alone amp/speaker I could use as a solo performer should I decide to go that route, a product I think sounds considerably better than the Loudbox Mini. Or would it be such a sonic mismatch when the trio plays, that having the Loudbox Mini as 1 channel and the Bose as the other would sound awful.?
I've used this combination (S1 and Loudbox Artist)for our duo to good effect. And you're on the wrong forum to be talked out of 'ludicrous' amounts of PA. We'll take any excuse to buy more gear!
Old 10-29-2021, 10:03 AM

If you have the budget check out getting two Fishman SA amps, or some similar column aray style powered speakers. Run a small mixer and use them as powered spearkers placed behind the band. I used two SA220s for years with a mixer as the PA for a larger (8 members) and ran multiple instruments and vocals through them with no issues. Plenty loud enough for the venues we played. The one thing I didn't run in them is bass.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:59 AM

The other band members use acoustic amps. I’d avoid a complete different sound and even more a different coverage and use a similar amp as well.
As others said, a Loudbox Mini or Artist is my recommendation.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-02-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I don't like the Fishman acoustic amps for vocals. Behringer makes a dandy good sounding 8" powered speaker at well under $200 each. They aren't QSCs, but are pretty good. We use them as monitors.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-03-2021, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Fishman SA330x with extender mixer. I sold mine used for about $750 I think?

Here is a used one.. https://reverb.com/item/43856244-fis...ntent=43856244

But it’s awesome for your needs. Simple inputs and reverb/EQ. Easy to pack and drag away in its wheeled bag.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:31 AM

Thought I would update this thread, I ended up going with the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge, picked one up on sale at GC for 15% off. Since one of the trio members already owns a Loudbox Mini and also has a mixer, I thought it would make the most sense to get another Loudbox Mini so when we play out next year we will have two speakers that sound alike. Also, if I do decide to do something solo, the LB Mini will accommodate my guitar and a mic for vocals.

I couldn't wait to try it out when it arrived, plugged in my guitar and.........buzzing, clicking, humming . Defective amp? Was my new K&K pickup the culprit? On a whim (and because I didn't want to return the LB Mini or have to give up my guitar while the store I purchased it at that installed the K&K troubleshot it), I ordered a new "higher end" Mogami 1/4" cable to replace the one I had been using for a couple of years. I wasn't expecting the new cable to resolve the noises emanating from the LB Mini, but it did!

The LB Mini sounds great with the 000-18 and the K&K pickup, very natural sounding. I haven't spent much time with the mic yet but I expect it to sound fine as well. I'm very happy with my purchase, thanks to those who responded on this thread with advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification