The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
So here's an odd one.

This Friday I'll be playing an hour long set for seniors at large scale assisted living complex. The area I'm playing in is a four story lobby/atrium, complete with a waterfall and pool. I'll be stationed on the 2nd floor overlooking the lobby area below and playing for residents watching from above, across, below, ...and behind. The hallways from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors overlook the space. There's a considerable level of ambient sound from the waterfall.

It will be just my voice and guitar. I'll run both through a Bose T1 mixer, and try to decide how to best deploy a pair or JBL EON-612's, and/or a Bose L1Compact.

A big challenge for the Compact(aside from power) is the waist high glass barriers over looking the space. There are gaps which could theoretically allow the bass module to get it's sound through, but I have no idea how things will sound two stories up.

I'll likely just flank myself with the the JBL's pointed out over the abyss, and use the Compact for folks seated behind me.

It's the first of a series of shows that run every six weeks or so until the end of 2022.

Any thoughts on how to best approach this(with the gear I have) are appreciated.
Me I would try to be in the center of the balcony and put the JBL's out in front of my position closer to the glass 1/2 wall (, which will allow louder with out feedback than flanking you) And if your are running them dual mono) angle slightly towards their respective sides (all assuming the stands will put them above the glass) Then I would put the L1 behind me (maybe even facing me as my stage monitor) Remember the Bass of the L1 will spread out more omnidirectional so it really won't matter much if it is at floor level IMO..
Also I would ask the venue (if it is not a big hassle) to turn the waterfall off..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-15-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:55 PM

Well I played my seniors gig this afternoon, and it went pretty well. For amplification I went with a hybrid mix of my Bose Compact and a JBL speaker.

From where I stood, the mic sounded great, but I struggled with too much bass on the guitar. However, comments from the staff and residents were very positive, and that everything sound fine. Though they would have liked it a bit louder.

We'll try turning off the waterfall next time and running with JBL612's on stands instead of the Compact.

From a performing point of view, I enjoyed it. I went through about thirty songs, all of them well received, though by the end I was having to protect my voice a bit.

All in all it was nice afternoon! I'm looking forward to being back there in early November. I better refresh my list a bit! Also with an early December date just around the corner, I'd better get to work some Christmas tunes as well.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the interest in this thread, and all the helpful suggestions!

Peter
Old 10-17-2021, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Better they would've liked it louder, than telling you, you were too loud.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:32 PM

Exclamation

A couple years ago (pre-Covid), there was a big band with brass instruments, piano, bass, etc that played inside the main room at Disney’s Grand Floridian hotel. They played at floor level, but the room had 5 stories of rooms inside the hotel. Gift shops were on the second floor, so I had the opportunity to hear them from the first and second floors. They had a very even full sound that filled the room and was very impressive. I walked up to their stage after their set was over and they had an Electro voice Evolve 50M array speaker setup (one on the left side and one on the right).
Old 10-18-2021, 07:43 PM

Keep it simple and don't play loudly. With an open atrium the sound will be bouncing everywhere if you play loudly. Playing softly makes people listen.
I would just use the compact.
davidc
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 AM

dcoper, I couldn't project enough with the Compact. I was running it to the edge of clean but was still getting asked to turn up a bit.

The waterfall was the main issue. I'll try to get it turned off when I'm back in a couple weeks. Also, the four foot high barrier wall(dry wall, with glass window inserts) where I play from the second floor doesn't work well for the Compact's design either.

I'll try running speakers on stands, and likely mic up a Fender Princeton for my guitar. It was the guitar sound that I struggled with last time. It was too bassy and I couldn't hear the top end either(waterfall again). My mic was fine.

However, the first gig in a new place is always a feeling out process, and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:57 PM

I would add that hearing your vocals will be more important than the guitar. This from my 96 yr old mom
Old 10-26-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
I would add that hearing your vocals will be more important than the guitar. This from my 96 yr old mom
I agree with your mom, vocals first!
Old 10-27-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
Adding my ratification to Pnewsom's; While instrumental support is important, in a song, the story is the thing.

There are exceptions (instrumentals, of course, scat singing, nonsense lyrics, etc) but for most audiences (and a crowd born in the generation that currently populate assisted living homes is likely one of them) the story told by the lyrics is important.

Just my opinion.

My trademark tag line when I perform is, "Every song tells a story or has a story behind it." I generally tell that story before every song. I find it engages an audience better that if I just launch into a ballad cold.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 AM

Default Update

Well I played my second gig at the assisted living home, and felt much better about it.

As I'd mentioned before, getting enough volume in this size of a space was a challenge on the first gig. And though I was happy with my vocal sound, my guitar(direct into the pa) was boomy, lacking bite and top end, causing me to doubt it's rhythmic effectiveness the whole time. I hate distractions like that.

This time I went loaded for bear, two JBL EON 612's, a Vibrolux Reverb guitar amp, a Bose T1 mixer, two SM58 mics and my trusty arch top guitar. Basically the same package I carry for most band gigs. It seems like a lot, but it all fits on my folding hand cart in one trip.

I used stands for the speakers and set them a few feet back from the safety barrier, about even with where would I stand. Turning them inward a bit allowed me to hear them well. The Vibrolux was just behind me and to the right a bit, facing out front, mic'd it into the PA. All the issues from the previous gig where gone. The starchy percussive scratch of my guitar was back, and bass notes on the low strings were tight and solid. The vocal mic sounded great, with a flat eq and loads of headroom in reserve.

Twenty seven songs later it was a wrap.

Afterwards the coordinator said it sounded great, and that the residents enjoyed it. It wasn't a surprise, as I could see folks singing along with me in the distance. Even had a cute couple dancing to BJ Thomas' Somebody Done Somebody Wrong song. This bit is key, because I subscribe to the notion of creating the pocket of a song in the minds of my audience through syncopation against the vocal, rather than just strumming it(leaves more space for my voice). Watching folks tapping their toes and dancing inside the pocket tells me its working. Sometimes you can't be so sure...

In conclusion, I likely could have done it with just one of the JBL's, but I won't mess with something that works going forward!

Back there again on Dec 3rd with a load of Christmas tunes! Any suggestions?

Last edited by Pnewsom; 11-06-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Stanford Hospital has a large Atrium, at least three floors, and I went and heard a Grand Piano and a cello fill the place acoustically. A small amp or PA should do the trick. I would not count on too much attentiveness.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification