The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Not afraid to say it: The Ibanez RT450 is a near perfect gutar

I'm in the middle of a "Guitar Death Match" scenario as I embark on an epic Gear Purge.

So far there are only two solidbody electrics that are in no danger of going away. They rise to the top even when compared to wildly different guitars. The '92 RT450 is one of them! Back in the early 90's Andy Timmons endorsed them.

It's a FujiGen built RG type that was intended to be a traditional SuperStrat. Alder RG body. 24 fret Viper neck, which just means it's more strat like and not one of those super thin "Wizard" type necks. HSH, with push pull tone pot to split the humbuckers. No locking nut, and a fender-ish two point trem.

As usual there are folks who don't like the pickups. But out of my amps, and my pedal board, I can't imagine swapping them out. Certainly not for home use like I use it where I can shape any tone I want out of it.

I paid about $450 for it 5 or so years ago...

If you can find one at a price you like, I highly recommend checking one out. For you weridos they made an RT452 12 string!
Old 05-09-2021, 05:52 PM

oh yeah... This guitar also highlighted the hoarder mentality that was built into me by my great depression era Mother. It didn't come with an trem arm when I got it. I called Ibanez, and first they couldn't find one. Eventually they did. "Yeah. We have about 7 of them. But they are gold colored..."

My response? "I'll take two!"

I mean, you never know right?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:36 PM

Looks like the RT450 was only produced in '92-'93. Which one is yours:

Old 05-10-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Looks like the RT450 was only produced in '92-'93. Which one is yours:

The two tone brown burst with "cheetah" pickguard.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:30 AM

Gorgeous guitars! I would love to get my hands on one of the RT452 12 strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars