The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 08:54 AM

Default 1990's Gibson Dove, Hummingbird, SJ200 comparison

I want to round out my guitar collection ( small ) with a Gibson from the Bozeman era. Any thoughts on these 3 guitars would be appreciated. I know the SJ200 is larger. Can you sit on the couch and play it comfortably? I mainly sing by myself or with girlfriend. Been playing a lot of John Prine, Foley, Guy Clarke, Townes, Tom Petty ballads...kind of stuff...trying to up my fingerpicking game....do some strumming...thanks in advance....new member
Old 05-16-2021, 09:14 AM

Default Dove ftw

Welcome to the forum! I own a Hummingbird and two Doves. Never owned a J200 but liked the ones I played. My $.02 is that you can't make a bad choice among the 3 models.

That noted, if you find a good one, I suggest a Dove for the kool factor and because of their comparative rarity. Played one of mine last evening and was just delighted by the tone and volume.

Good luck with your quest!
Old 05-16-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Welcome to the forum! I own a Hummingbird and two Doves. Never owned a J200 but liked the ones I played. My $.02 is that you can't make a bad choice among the 3 models.

That noted, if you find a good one, I suggest a Dove for the kool factor and because of their comparative rarity. Played one of mine last evening and was just delighted by the tone and volume.

Good luck with your quest!
thank you...do you know if a late 90's Dove to be a good vintage? Maple back and sides
Old 05-16-2021, 10:42 AM

Search high and wide for the Dove and SJ-200 as they really vary in sound from one to another. Having both birds, little and big along with a J-200 would be heaven! Good luck.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhnewman View Post
thank you...do you know if a late 90's Dove to be a good vintage? Maple back and sides
The view seems to be that, from the outset, Bozeman has made excellent guitars, generally. Always be dogs and stellar examples within the mix. If there's a good return policy, give the late 90s example a try.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:20 PM

I own one of each (albeit a 12 string Hummingbird). A ‘95 Dove, an ‘05 Bird 12 and a 2015 SJ200.

My Dove is one of my favourite guitars of all time. I’d absolutely unreservedly recommend a Dove to anyone, mine has done a LOT of work and has plenty of battlescars, is really loose and resonant.

My SJ200 is a great live and studio guitar. Big and dynamic, loads of boom and shimmer. Quite a big unit but so am I (6’7” and 260lb!) and for a fellow Townes fan it’s not hard to imagine why I love mine. I perhaps slightly prefer the Dove, but it depends on the day!

My Hummingbird is the fourth I’ve owned, but the first 12er. I had an ‘06 (good but not great) an ‘07 (outstanding in every way) and a 1990 (even better, a guitar I dearly wish I still owned). The ‘05 12 string is very, very good and easily the best 12 string I’ve ever played.

I know that’s not helping your choice dilemma much! Honestly I think you would be overjoyed with any of them, it’s like picking from three of the most delicious desserts on the menu!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I own one of each (albeit a 12 string Hummingbird). A ‘95 Dove, an ‘05 Bird 12 and a 2015 SJ200.

My Dove is one of my favourite guitars of all time. I’d absolutely unreservedly recommend a Dove to anyone, mine has done a LOT of work and has plenty of battlescars, is really loose and resonant.

My SJ200 is a great live and studio guitar. Big and dynamic, loads of boom and shimmer. Quite a big unit but so am I (6’7” and 260lb!) and for a fellow Townes fan it’s not hard to imagine why I love mine. I perhaps slightly prefer the Dove, but it depends on the day!

My Hummingbird is the fourth I’ve owned, but the first 12er. I had an ‘06 (good but not great) an ‘07 (outstanding in every way) and a 1990 (even better, a guitar I dearly wish I still owned). The ‘05 12 string is very, very good and easily the best 12 string I’ve ever played.

I know that’s not helping your choice dilemma much! Honestly I think you would be overjoyed with any of them, it’s like picking from three of the most delicious desserts on the menu!
thanks a bunch for your input...question and you sit on the couch and play a J-200 or is it too awkward size wise...I'm average 5'10 200 lbs
Old 05-16-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post

also I have my eye on a 1996 Dove NT, maple sides and back I can buy for between $2500---$2800...have any idea if this is too much to pay?
Old 05-16-2021, 06:18 PM

I have a 2017 SJ200 and 2020 Hummingbird. All my guitars are played on the couch, or my "official guitar chair", and aren't uncomfortable at all. (6', 200 Lb.) They sound and play great. Still looking for the right deal on a Dove....
Old 05-16-2021, 07:14 PM

I have a 1974 Dove Custom in very good condition, plays easily and the sound is incredibly well-rounded, sweet and loud. A neck reset was done 10 years ago at Rudy's Music in NYC, the action remains perfect. I'd be willing to part with it if someone was interested.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-16-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
I have a 1974 Dove Custom in very good condition, plays easily and the sound is incredibly well-rounded, sweet and loud. A neck reset was done 10 years ago at Rudy's Music in NYC, the action remains perfect. I'd be willing to part with it if someone was interested.
sent you a PM
Old 05-17-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
interested....I sent you a PM...did you get it?
Old 05-17-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhnewman View Post
interested....I sent you a PM...did you get it?
Hi... I did get it and am responding shortly.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 10-27-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Dove - SJ200

I found that the SJ has a somewhat stronger voice than my Dove. The maple is the secret to these cannons. Either would serve you well. I chose my Dove over the SJ200 and a the J180 Everly Bros git. Never will regret. It's a stunner.
Be Well

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion