The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
And, Season 2 of Manhunt with Martin Clunes is being released 1 show a week on Acorn.
https://tellyvisions.org/2021/09/24/...orn-tv-october

We really enjoyed the first series, and just watched the first episode of Season 2.

It feels a little odd to go back to weekly episodes, after the ‘freedom’ of binging.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-25-2021, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
We really enjoyed the first series, and just watched the first episode of Season 2.

It feels a little odd to go back to weekly episodes, after the ‘freedom’ of binging.
I agree. We are watching a few that are released each week and it does seem to leave us wanting at times when we want to binge. New Acorn and Apple TV shows both seem to roll out that way.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:31 AM

I resumed watching Bosch last night on Amazon Prime- I have seen the several prior seasons and read all of Michael Connelly's books-
Old 10-26-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
I resumed watching Bosch last night on Amazon Prime- I have seen the several prior seasons and read all of Michael Connelly's books-
I started watching Bosch a few years ago after I heard Rush recommend it and I quickly became hooked. A great police drama with an excellent cast and stories that keep you coming back. Titus Welliver tears it up as Detective Harry Bosch and his side kick Jerry Edgar (Jamie Hector) always give a great performance as well. One of my favorite characters was the Police Chief Irvin Irving played by Lance Reddick. Great actor that Lance Reddick. Anyway, Highly recommended.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Just finished “Maid” on Netflix. One season, eight episodes and most worthy of the limited time investment. Beautifully acted by the entire cast (especially the real-life mother/daughter stars) tho dark in subject matter (domestic abuse).
I’m four episodes into Maid right now and it’s a little offbeat but it is highly addictive with a great cast as you said Daniel. I didn’t know the mother/daughter relationship was reality based, no wonder that little three year girl does such a fine job “acting.” My wife and I don’t usually enjoy the same type of multi-episode programs, but we are both very much enjoying Maid together. Highly recommended to anyone looking for something interesting and different. I’m sure there will be a Season 2 as I see rave reviews on it whenever I run across one. I do however think the title of it is kind of strange as the main character being a maid isn’t really what the program revolves around.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Limetown on Amazon Prime. A reporter is investigating the disappearance of an entire town of 300 people where a scientific experiment occurred. Great so far.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Okay, so hopefully some of you folks who watch recent UK/Euro TV mystery/police shows can help me:

I think the series is based in Scotland.

In one episode, a woman and her daughter are kidnapped.

Unknown to the kidnappers, the woman is a member of some highly-trained undercover government organization.

In the part I remember, the woman is told to write a message to the authorities outlining the kidnappers' ransom demands. For this purpose the kidnappers give her a nice sharp pencil.

That turns out to be a mistake. A very bad mistake.

Anybody???
I don’t know what this is but I’m bumping it hoping someone does! Sounds interesting.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:05 AM

Shameless season 11
Big Sky
"You" on Netflix
La Brea

All of the above could be viewed as unbelievably stupid.
Have to remember it is for entertainment value only...

(much like all these super hero movies and the 100 Fast and Furious)
Old 10-27-2021, 10:58 AM

New season of "Shetland" hits BritBox November 9...
Old 10-27-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
New season of "Shetland" hits BritBox November 9...
Great news. I’ve read every book and watched every episode. I heard the book series is finished, so I thought the tv series was completed as well. I look forward to watching seasons 6 and 7!. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I started watching Bosch a few years ago after I heard Rush recommend it and I quickly became hooked. A great police drama with an excellent cast and stories that keep you coming back. Titus Welliver tears it up as Detective Harry Bosch and his side kick Jerry Edgar (Jamie Hector) always give a great performance as well. One of my favorite characters was the Police Chief Irvin Irving played by Lance Reddick. Great actor that Lance Reddick. Anyway, Highly recommended.

I agree- it is a well cast, cast.
I too recommended it to several people.
Also, I recommend Goliath, with Billy Bob Thornton- I liken it to Lay's potato chips- you can't do just one

But, having read all the Bosch novels it was easy to pick out the blurred lines in the TV episodes- and, Bosch on TV wasn't even close to the physical description of Bosch in the books- but, such are the ways of film vs books- still an excellent series.

Anecdotes: C.J.Box has said he and his wife were in discussions about a series for his books about the Wildlife (Game Warden), officer, Joe Pickett- they declined, (pulled out) of the discussions because the writers and producers wanted to stray too far from the books- which brings to mind, Longmire. A series I really enjoyed, but, were not as good as the books that Longmire came from- which leads to Lonesome Dove- I saw and watched the movie many times before I read the book- both were superb, with the book edging out the movie because the book had more detail not depicted in the movie- it still ranks as my favorite in both categories.

Last edited by Gdjjr; 10-30-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:49 AM

Just finished Season 1, (the only season currently), of Maid of Netflix. That amigos was a pleasant surprise. I would have passed it up right off the bat merely from the title, but someone here on the forum, and I forgot who, recommended it and I’m glad and thankful that he did. Maid is an absolutely compelling drama that hits all the buttons. It btw has a near perfect rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s actually a true life story based on a memoir. The gal who plays the lead part of Alex the Maid/mom, Margaret Qualley, is not someone I’m familiar with or have heard of previously, but she is one great actress imho. Anyway, highly recommended and I’m definitely keeping an eye out for Season 2.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:16 AM

Goliath is a fantastic show. Season 4 was great too although it took me an episode to figure out kind of what was going on because those flashbacks were confusion. J. K. Simmons was a great additional to the cast - I remember him from "The Closer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
I agree- it is a well cast, cast.
I too recommended it to several people.
Also, I recommend Goliath, with Billy Bob Thornton- I liken it to Lay's potato chips- you can't do just one

But, having read all the Bosch novels it was easy to pick out the blurred lines in the TV episodes- and, Bosch on TV wasn't even close to the physical description of Bosch in the books- but, such are the ways of film vs books- still an excellent series.

Anecdotes: C.J.Box has said he and his wife were in discussions about a series for his books about the Wildlife (Game Warden), officer, Joe Pickett- they declined, (pulled out) of the discussions because the writers and producers wanted to stray too far from the books- which brings to mind, Longmire. A series I really enjoyed, but, were not as good as the books that Longmire came from- which leads to Lonesome Dove- I saw and watched the movie many times before I read the book- both were superb, with the book edging out the movie because the book had more detail not depicted in the movie- it still ranks as my favorite in both categories.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Goliath is a fantastic show. Season 4 was great too although it took me an episode to figure out kind of what was going on because those flashbacks were confusion. J. K. Simmons was a great additional to the cast - I remember him from "The Closer".
The flashbacks were confusing for sure. The Closer, if you're talking about a TV series I remember, best I recall was a good show too. The details escape me right now, but, I think it was in the late 90's-

Dang! I can't believe I can say the late 90's-
Old 11-01-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

….we watched Army of Thieves on Netflix last nite….it’s a prequel to Army of the Dead which was not that great in my opinion….Army of Thieves isn’t about zombies…it’s about the safe cracker…really enjoyable…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic