The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-24-2021, 05:01 PM

Default Thoughts on the Zoom Q8 for Recording?

Anyone have experience using the Zoom Q8 to make acoustic guitar videos?

Because there's not enough suffering in the world already I've been toying with the idea of making videos of my mediocre guitar playing/singing ability. I first tried using my PC and it's webcam/mic - both were awful. My iPad (don't have an iPhone) produces good video but the audio is lacking. I don't have a USB mic and would prefer to keep everything PC-based. And not terribly interested in mixing or using software to synch from separate audio/video sources. Just want a straight-forward method to produce a decent video with good sound for YT or FB uploads.

The Zoom Q8 seems like a decent, easy (I like easy) solution for what I'm trying to do and the audio in particular has gotten good reviews. Also like the option of being able to use the XLR mics I already have in addition to the Q8's stereo x/y condensers.

Or should I be looking in different direction?

Appreciate the help, thanks.

Martin HD-35
Martin D-18
Taylor 814ce TSB
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Taylor 514ce
Taylor 355 12-string
Alvarez ABT610e Baritone 6
Yamaha C-40
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge

G4V Cyber Instructor
Old 10-27-2021, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

With a pair of external mics, the Q8 is a pretty nice setup that is very easy to use. You are a bit limited with the camera angles you can do but you can still get great results. The mic preamps are pretty solid, I think they are the same as used in the Zoom portable recorders.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbook19 View Post
Anyone have experience using the Zoom Q8 to make acoustic guitar videos?

Because there's not enough suffering in the world already I've been toying with the idea of making videos of my mediocre guitar playing/singing ability. I first tried using my PC and it's webcam/mic - both were awful. My iPad (don't have an iPhone) produces good video but the audio is lacking. I don't have a USB mic and would prefer to keep everything PC-based. And not terribly interested in mixing or using software to synch from separate audio/video sources. Just want a straight-forward method to produce a decent video with good sound for YT or FB uploads.

The Zoom Q8 seems like a decent, easy (I like easy) solution for what I'm trying to do and the audio in particular has gotten good reviews. Also like the option of being able to use the XLR mics I already have in addition to the Q8's stereo x/y condensers.

Or should I be looking in different direction?

Appreciate the help, thanks.
Although the models have changed you can get some good information on shooting good video using external mics from Fran Guidry's Homebrewed Music website.

Here's some of the info that is appropriate for what you want to do:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...t-the-zoom-h2/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD