The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-27-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I will suggest that playing in slow motion is harder to keep in good timing But once done well and consistently will ultimately result in much more fluid playing at any speed ...
Thanks KevWind!

I definitely find that the 'slowness' that I have to use when working out *how* to play the parts is quickly replaced with sloppiness to get the part towards full speed. When I say 'quickly' - I'm still talking playing slow for hours and hours over days and days.

BUT I think that I don't get enough slow&perfect reps in before I attempt full speed play-throughs, which results in far-from-perfect performance.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:41 AM

Carl Miner Collings D1 TNAG tune

Alright, 3 more months of practising this one has resulted in a little progress. To be fair, I have been working on some other picking stuff (mainly electric) but I've tried to dedicate at least 20 minutes a day to this.

I've tried a few things to help me with the down-up-down-up-down section. The thing that's worked 'best' is to work on the last 3 notes as a triplet and practise that a bunch. This also helped with another of his pieces where playing 3-string triplets as a 'banjo roll' was a good thing to practise to get it closer to speed.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I think Carl Minor is playing the tune to fast, myself. I think you are doing just fine. Keep playing it and you will start playing it faster. Don't play it so fast it sucks the life out of the music.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write