The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2021, 02:03 PM

Default Help on Grace Felix2 + K&K Trinity Pro

Hey folks, so I have taken the plunge and purchased a Felix2, but I'm having a hard time getting it to work with my K&K Trinity mic...
  1. I'm using a TRS cable from my guitar to CH 2 on the Felix2 (the K&K mic runs on the ring / sleeve)
  2. I have the input 1 line / mic button set to "line" (per page 6 of the Felix manual)
  3. I have jumper J6 set to ON to provide 12 V to Line 1 (per page 12)
  4. I have DIP 5 switched ON (per page 8)
Basically, I get massive feedback on CH1 even with the gain turned all the way down - I essentially have to turn the mix all the way right to CH 2 (taking CH 1 completely out of the mix) to keep that from happening.

I'm hoping it's something simple and that I don't need to consider returning the Felix2 or swapping out my K&K mic.

Anyone actually had success in getting this to work?

Thanks much,
Christian
Old 10-24-2021, 07:51 PM

Here's my suggestions as I have the same gear (although not installed yet):

1) You may want to check with K&K to confirm the Trinity mic can handle 12v.

2) Confirm the Trinity wiring in the guitar: Pure mini's = tip; Trinity mic = ring.

3) Confirm your TRS is wired and grounded correctly with no shorts: tip to tip, ring to ring. Is it a custom or homemade cable?

[Do you have the K&K Trinity Pro preamp to confirm the dual sources are both working properly to begin with?]

4) If 1-3 checks out, plugged into Ch. 2 of the Grace Felix, the Pure mini signal should be on Ch. 2 and the Trinity mic on Ch. 1.

5) As you mention, Ch. 1 of the Felix should be set to "Line" or toggle out position.

6) Jumper J7 should be 12V OFF by factory default (i.e. only on one pin).

7) Jumper J6 should be set to Ch. 1 12V RING by using the two pins to the right, leaving the one pin to the far left "open."

8) Dip Switch #5 in the UP position = 12V on.

9) Check your impedance setting for each channel.

If these steps don't get you there, and you have confirmed the K&K Trinity system is not the issue (the sources), I would call Grace Design and get their advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification