The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-01-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Wonderful song by Iris Dement

This tear jerker was written and composed by Iris Dement. Was used as the closing song played on the final season of the "Northern Exposure" TV series. Love her voice and the clarity of her words are as good as I have ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9IUj1mDENg

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 PM

Yes Derek,

What a great voice!

Thanks for sharing that!

Rick
Old 09-02-2021, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! Iris Dement has one of those extremely unique voices that people tend to love or hate. I love her voice. She does a duo with John Prine called In Spite Of Ourselves that is one of our favorites that we cover.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:32 AM

Iris Dement is a real treasure. She’s one of those artists who I learned about from other musicians covering their songs. It was Natalie Merchant/10000 Maniacs and David Byrne covering “Let The Mystery Be” that caused me to look up Dement. What a beautiful, distinctive voice. “Sing The Delta” is just incredible.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:10 AM

Yes indeed. A fine song and a distinctive singer.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-11-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Certainly a unique voice!
Northern Exposure came at a very tumultuous time in my life, and also had many similarities. Although it was fictional, I developed a strong affection for the series, and Iris’ farewell song was really good icing on that cake. Very nostalgic for this ol’ boy.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-27-2021, 08:05 PM

She is an original, fabulous singer and a great song writer. She also is a great piano stylist and a capable guitar player. I saw her for 4 minutes on American Music Shop and was captivated. Later got to see and meet her. She always played by herself in those days, not an easy gig by any means.
In the early years she played a beautiful 45 Martin, which consensus here and on the Martin Forum said was a OM-45. In fact my very first post here in 2010 was a query on the model. There are many clips up on youtube, some of them with this lovely Martin.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

This tune was always one of my favorites, simple guitar accompaniment lets her unique voice come through. That and I've had those times when Easy's Gettin' Harder Every Day.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
This tune was always one of my favorites, simple guitar accompaniment lets her unique voice come through. That and I've had those times when Easy's Gettin' Harder Every Day.
Very nice one.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-19-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
She is an original, fabulous singer and a great song writer. She also is a great piano stylist and a capable guitar player. I saw her for 4 minutes on American Music Shop and was captivated. Later got to see and meet her. She always played by herself in those days, not an easy gig by any means.
In the early years she played a beautiful 45 Martin, which consensus here and on the Martin Forum said was a OM-45. In fact my very first post here in 2010 was a query on the model. There are many clips up on youtube, some of them with this lovely Martin.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:42 PM

Thanks for this thread - I hadn’t listened to Iris in awhile, so I listened to the songs here and some others. She’s wonderful. I also visited her website, and read her thoughts about John Prine’s passing. Here’s the end of what she wrote, which I found very moving:

John Prine was, without a doubt, one of the greatest songwriters this world will ever know. Many people more qualified than me have written about why that is. And many more will follow. Greatest or not, here’s what it comes down to for me and here’s why he rests on my heart’s mountain top: Because he cared enough to look — at me, you, all of us — until he saw what was noble and then he wrapped us up in melodies and sung us back to ourselves.

That was the miracle of John Prine. And it was enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN