The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-22-2021, 06:38 PM

Default Cordoba quality

I'm looking to add a classical guitar to my collection and while I'm not looking for concert quality, I'd like something that will last and feel good to play. With that said I've been focusing my search on Cordoba (and LA Patrie). One thing I've noticed is that there are many Cordoba guitars in the used market but many have cracked tops, or the bridge has peeled off, binding coming apart, etc. Is this something of a price point issue (since they aren't thousands of dollars people may treat them with less care), or is this a quality issue with the brand? I'm looking at the C5, C7, and C9 being the most preferred.
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2021, 09:19 PM

I recently acquired a new C9 crossover and absolutely love it. The finishing and tone have all exceeded expectations for a factory made instrument. Mine had a bit of dust on the bridge at my local music store, indicating it had been there awhile. No cracks, and has help up well to careless shopwear.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:23 AM

Cordoba is typically praised as one of the best bang-for-your-buck brands. I have a C9 cedar (my main classical), and have played the C5, C7, and a C10, and would agree Cordoba is one of best bang-for-your-buck brands.

I suspect that most issues found with Cordoba instruments are due to a lack of proper care. Folks tend not to gently handle instruments in the $500 and down range, and folks trying to buy a less expensive instrument tend not to humidify/de-humidify their instruments either.

There is the occasional lemon (for every factory guitar brand). I can't say otherwise. But I really doubt you'll get one. There's far too many stories of folks like myself who are super happy with their Cordoba.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
I'm looking to add a classical guitar to my collection and while I'm not looking for concert quality, I'd like something that will last and feel good to play. With that said I've been focusing my search on Cordoba (and LA Patrie). One thing I've noticed is that there are many Cordoba guitars in the used market but many have cracked tops, or the bridge has peeled off, binding coming apart, etc. Is this something of a price point issue (since they aren't thousands of dollars people may treat them with less care), or is this a quality issue with the brand? I'm looking at the C5, C7, and C9 being the most preferred.
Thanks!
I think it's more of a shipping/packing issue. the 5 and 7 ship (I believe) in gig bags and it doesn't take much to mess up a classical guitar. Even the Cordoba polyfoam "hard" soft case doesn't have that much protection to the top (case it not arched and it is easily pushed in)

I've owned several of the 9's and always found the build quality to be impressive given the price point.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Cordoba is typically praised as one of the best bang-for-your-buck brands. I have a C9 cedar (my main classical), and have played the C5, C7, and a C10, and would agree Cordoba is one of best bang-for-your-buck brands.

I suspect that most issues found with Cordoba instruments are due to a lack of proper care. Folks tend not to gently handle instruments in the $500 and down range, and folks trying to buy a less expensive instrument tend not to humidify/de-humidify their instruments either.

There is the occasional lemon (for every factory guitar brand). I can't say otherwise. But I really doubt you'll get one. There's far too many stories of folks like myself who are super happy with their Cordoba.
Thanks for your input! Yea I'm definitely leaning towards the C9 cedar...im hoping the nearly double price of a C7 (all solid wood) will be worth the cost! Humidifying is not an issue in winter, it's the dehumidifying in the warmer months thats tough....no cooling/central air in my house!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:35 PM

I'd guess a fair number of people who buy Cordoba C5 - C9 don't know to humidify them in the winter. And they are lightly built resonant guitars, so they probably don't have much hope if the humidity gets low enough.

Their quality is good though. Great bang for the buck. I especially like the C9 and C10.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 10-16-2021, 07:16 PM

I bought a cordoba c-10 cedar online a few years back and liked it so much I bought another c-10 spruce. Have been very satisfied since then. Still play them most nights.
Yamaha FGX-830C
Old 10-16-2021, 08:31 PM

I am a fan of Córdoba guitars. I have had a C5 limited and have played the C7 and the C10. I also have a Cordoba Esteso model. I have enjoyed them all. However, I recently purchased a Yamaha cg192c, which is around 500 or so USD, and it is an incredibly impressive guitar in that price range. My Esteso is a very enjoyable guitar to play, but has much fret sprout. The Esteso was quite a bit above the price point of the Yamaha. If I were going for a budget classical guitar these days, I would be leaning toward Yamaha, for sure.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:02 AM

Yeah much like the others who have posted here, I experienced top quality with the Cordoba that I used to own. I really can't complain! A lot of it has to do with how you treat the guitar... storage, humidity, regular maintenance, etc. I've always been impressed by Cordoba quality.

Best Flamenco Guitar Costing Under 1000 ?! Juan Montes vs Navarro
https://youtu.be/7D08ZEY4-5s

Flamenco Arpeggio Falseta (lesson with TABS)
https://youtu.be/ZIZPllPFTTs

www.youtube.com/francisgrant1
Old 12-01-2021, 11:47 PM

Default Which C9 are you looking at?

I believe Cordoba makes several iteration on the Model #....

All are solid wood. Cordoba states that the C9-CD is made in a small boutique shop.

A goolge search came up with this statement about where they are made. Although that should not matter if it's made well..

Where are Cordoba luthier series made?
The main headquarters and factory is located in Oxnard, California where the Cordoba Master Series is hand-crafted.

Is that Oxnard by the sea or Oxnard by the onion fields?

Cordoba's España Series is handmade in Valencia and Barcelona

While the Iberia, Fusion, Luthier, and Protege Series as well as all ukuleles are handmade in China.

Now the C9 is one of Cordoba's "Luthier" series models, and thus it's made in China...

I personally own a C10 Parlor, all solid wood (rosewood side and back) with a solid cedar top, ebony finger board and cedar neck, and it plays well. No fret buzz and I didn't even take this one to the luthier who has always set up my action, as I have done with my other guitars. Didn't need to TG.

So far in the year or so I have owned it, I see no cracks running along the top. The bindings are as tight as they can be. The neck as straight as the day I bought it.... it's a fun guitar to play... but it wasn't made in a small Spanish luthier shop like my pride and joy Burguet... My C10 Luthier series was made in a, as Cordoba says, "a small boutique shop"...located in China.

As to what others have said... If you don't properly maintain your guitar, and I mean it's environment, maintaining a humidity level between 45 to 55%, and not exposing for long periods of time to temperatures above 75 degrees and keep it from direct sun light for extended periods... well even you $20,000 concert model guitar will start showing the signs of abuse. Cracks in the top, binding coming unbound, bridge plate peeling away... etc.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:11 PM

This is an interesting post for me as I am considering acquiring a nylon string instrument. I see Cordoba guitars have a truss rod. Is this important for a nylon string instrument? And between Cordoba and Kremona, which would be the wiser buy.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:46 PM

I've had the C9 in spruce since around 2012 or so... bridge is stable, no cracks in top, tuners are holding fine... no discernable issues. Plays great, sounds amazing. I've also owned a GK-Studio Negra in the past that didn't give me any issues.

I did buy a fixed-up Fusion 14 maple with a repaired top crack that was a really nice instrument. The crack seemed stable while I owned it, and did not seem to impact the instrument noticeably. Crack ran from soundhole to past the bridge, but seemed to be expertly repaired. Traded it after a few years.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:42 AM

Default Curious...!

Hey Zero.... did you by the C9..?
Old 12-17-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
Thanks!
Could be a quality issue, but not what you think. I have a Cordoba Fusion that's a few years old and already had some warping behind the bridge when I bought it used, and that I consider more or less normal. I also have a 47 yr old plywood guitar that's seen plenty of abuse but has a top (and neck) that's as flat and straight as the day it left the shop. A thin cedar top is a mark of quality and might sound great, but it needs care and feeding.

Last edited by Mortimer Nelson; 12-18-2021 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William2 View Post
This is an interesting post for me as I am considering acquiring a nylon string instrument. I see Cordoba guitars have a truss rod. Is this important for a nylon string instrument? And between Cordoba and Kremona, which would be the wiser buy.

I have a Cordoba fusion 12 maple and a Kremona Sofia S63CW which I got to try out a shorter scale length.
Both seem well made and sound good. For me the Cordoba edges it though, and after 5 months of playing the Kremona the Cordoba is back as top dog, but that could just be the scale length. I don’t think you would go wrong with either. My sense is that the Cordoba is lighter.
I had a different classical for 30 years without a truss rod and no problems with it, but having one makes me more secure, especially if you want to go for high tension strings. If you are coming from steel that makes it feel more familiar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
cordoba