The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-29-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep..me, too. I’ll take Willie over these Debbie Downers.

Ha! He's definitely not getting cheated! Good call.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Right up the road from me. Love them both.

Key West Intermezzo is just a perfectly simple and complete song…

And I love the Mellencamp accordion contribution. His sound.
Key West is a great song. Agreed!
Old 09-29-2021, 09:49 PM

And whilst I'm at it... yeah Bruce has the Courtney Cox look going on, no 2 ways about it. That skin is pulled a little toooooooo tight.

I remember seeing a video on TV of Bruce being mobbed by the ladies way back in 1978 in Phoenix while performing Rosalita (the poor fella!) and thinking then it must be like living in an alternate universe, being him. Probably still is, hence the look, as most of us don't have a ba-jillion reminders of how we used to look in our face. More proof as if we needed it that celebrities are just people too.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep..me, too. I’ll take Willie over these Debbie Downers.

It's like Willie has always been an old man!

I guess I first heard ''The Redheaded Stranger'' in 1976 and Willie looked like an old man back then. Over 40 years later, he still looks like an old man!
Old 09-30-2021, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
And whilst I'm at it... yeah Bruce has the Courtney Cox look going on, no 2 ways about it. That skin is pulled a little toooooooo tight.

I remember seeing a video on TV of Bruce being mobbed by the ladies way back in 1978 in Phoenix while performing Rosalita (the poor fella!) and thinking then it must be like living in an alternate universe, being him. Probably still is, hence the look, as most of us don't have a ba-jillion reminders of how we used to look in our face. More proof as if we needed it that celebrities are just people too.
I was at that Phoenix ‘78 show, by that encore about two rows behind those girls that took him down. I grew up in Tucson and a friend and I drove up to Phoenix for the show. He was really big in Arizona as early as the second album - he was big in Jersey, Richmond, and Phoenix before he really hit with Born To Run. Amazing show - waaay too much fun! And yeah, he looked really natural in those days. I’ve noticed his ultra tight skin before, but this video really hit me in the face (so to speak). I’m ten years younger than Bruce and I look about 43 years older than I did that night, but I still look like me. I’m not sure if he looks 30 years older or 60 years older…

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-30-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I don't know, I think The Boss looks older;

The pic is from another article about Mellencamp and Bruce;

https://www.jerseyshoreonline.com/to...-jersey-shore/
Old 09-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

In this latest pic, both look pretty original to me and good for their age.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I was at that Phoenix ‘78 show, by that encore about two rows behind those girls that took him down. I grew up in Tucson and a friend and I drove up to Phoenix for the show. He was really big in Arizona as early as the second album - he was big in Jersey, Richmond, and Phoenix before he really hit with Born To Run. Amazing show - waaay too much fun! And yeah, he looked really natural in those days. I’ve noticed his ultra tight skin before, but this video really hit me in the face (so to speak). I’m ten years younger than Bruce and I look about 43 years older than I did that night, but I still look like me. I’m not sure if he looks 30 years older or 60 years older…

-Ray
New face or not, that night in 78 was a good one to be Bruce, to put it mildly! I'll bet that was quite a show to see in person.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
New face or not, that night in 78 was a good one to be Bruce, to put it mildly! I'll bet that was quite a show to see in person.
Oh yeah, the absolute height of his powers as a performer. I saw him again on that tour in December of that year in Tucson, which was as good, but not quite as detailed a memory because nobody filmed it. I saw him about as good a few more times over the years but never better than those ‘78 “Darkness” shows. Those were great times to be going to concerts. I saw the best Dead show of my life in January of that year (and a couple of lesser but still really fine ones at the end of that year), saw Dexter Gordon (the amazing sax player) in May, a very good Stones show on the Some Girls tour that summer, Tom Petty on the Darn (can’t use the actual title here) the Torpedoes tour in January of 1980 and The Police late in 1980. Plus countless others, but those were some amazing highlights.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-30-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, the absolute height of his powers as a performer. I saw him again on that tour in December of that year in Tucson, which was as good, but not quite as detailed a memory because nobody filmed it. I saw him about as good a few more times over the years but never better than those ‘78 “Darkness” shows. Those were great times to be going to concerts. I saw the best Dead show of my life in January of that year (and a couple of lesser but still really fine ones at the end of that year), saw Dexter Gordon (the amazing sax player) in May, a very good Stones show on the Some Girls tour that summer, Tom Petty on the Darn (can’t use the actual title here) the Torpedoes tour in January of 1980 and The Police late in 1980. Plus countless others, but those were some amazing highlights.

-Ray
Whoa Ray you definitely saw some good shows! I would've liked to have seen that Petty show.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-01-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Whoa Ray you definitely saw some good shows! I would've liked to have seen that Petty show.
Yeah, it's funny, as a Deadhead, I kind of wish I'd been old enough to see some of those 72-74 Dead shows - it's by far my favorite era of their lives shows, one drummer and all. But I still came up at a pretty good time for the Dead, saw my first show in '77. Likewise, the Stones. Their best albums (IMHO) were Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile, and Exile came out when I was 12. Would have loved to have seen that '72 tour. But, all in all, the late '70s was a pretty great time for music, live music in particular. The Dead and Stones were still pretty great as live bands, Bruce and Petty were probably at their peaks (although both maintained a high level for a looooong time) New Wave was happening (I also saw Talking Heads in a little club in '77 or '78 - never caught Television, though), you could still catch amazing jazz and blues all over the place (I saw BB, Muddy Waters, ZZ Top, Clapton, Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner, and others in those years), Little Feat still had a functional Lowell George - it was a great time to be going to shows, and I went to a LOT of them between about '77 and'82 or so, and still plenty for many years after. I even caught Van Halen's first tour - never liked them much, but Eddie was REALLY impressive to see. And, to stay on topic, I saw Mellencamp too, once in that era as Johnny Cougar (didn't really like him then) but then much more later in the 80's when he put out Uh Huh, Scarecrow, Lonesome Jubilee - pretty much his peak as a performer I'd say.

All in all, I guess I wouldn't trade being at the right time in my life in those years to catch an awful lot of great music. Some good acoustic music too - I saw Doc a couple time, Tony Rice, Rory Block, Bromberg, New Grass Revival and Norman Blake etc, etc, etc.

No regrets,

-Ray
Old 10-01-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You may be right, but my wife, who's got pretty good radar about this stuff, thinks he's had work done.
Pretty funny. When Bruce has work done, it's a chauffeured trip into Beverly Hills. When I have work done, I take the minivan over to the Home Depot parking lot and try to find a guy who can compensate for my lack of Spanish.

There's gotta be a song in that somewhere.

Couch Standards
Old 10-01-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's funny, as a Deadhead, I kind of wish I'd been old enough to see some of those 72-74 Dead shows - it's by far my favorite era of their lives shows, one drummer and all. But I still came up at a pretty good time for the Dead, saw my first show in '77. Likewise, the Stones. Their best albums (IMHO) were Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile, and Exile came out when I was 12. Would have loved to have seen that '72 tour. But, all in all, the late '70s was a pretty great time for music, live music in particular. The Dead and Stones were still pretty great as live bands, Bruce and Petty were probably at their peaks (although both maintained a high level for a looooong time) New Wave was happening (I also saw Talking Heads in a little club in '77 or '78 - never caught Television, though), you could still catch amazing jazz and blues all over the place (I saw BB, Muddy Waters, ZZ Top, Clapton, Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner, and others in those years), Little Feat still had a functional Lowell George - it was a great time to be going to shows, and I went to a LOT of them between about '77 and'82 or so, and still plenty for many years after. I even caught Van Halen's first tour - never liked them much, but Eddie was REALLY impressive to see. And, to stay on topic, I saw Mellencamp too, once in that era as Johnny Cougar (didn't really like him then) but then much more later in the 80's when he put out Uh Huh, Scarecrow, Lonesome Jubilee - pretty much his peak as a performer I'd say.

All in all, I guess I wouldn't trade being at the right time in my life in those years to catch an awful lot of great music. Some good acoustic music too - I saw Doc a couple time, Tony Rice, Rory Block, Bromberg, New Grass Revival and Norman Blake etc, etc, etc.

No regrets,

-Ray
Not to hijack the thread, well actually yes I'm gonna. I know of what you speak. I saw Heart in concert for the Dog and Butterfly tour back in 79 as a youth. They were clearly at the top of their game and it was surreal. I just scratched the surface of really good rock musicians performing live and in their prime, but it was enough to make me feel sorry for today's kids.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, well actually yes I'm gonna. I know of what you speak. I saw Heart in concert for the Dog and Butterfly tour back in 79 as a youth. They were clearly at the top of their game and it was surreal. I just scratched the surface of really good rock musicians performing live and in their prime, but it was enough to make me feel sorry for today's kids.
I think I hijacked it already - you just responded to my hijack. And yeah, saw Heart too, I think it was Dreamboat Annie, but don’t remember for sure…

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN