The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom60 View Post
Is the neck 1pc maple ?
yeppers one piece neck. the sides are more of a curly maple though. tortoise inlay all around

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-16-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
Im a purist when it comes to Archtops and only an acoustic qualifies for that title imo.

the 1929 Stewart Archtop i restored meets all my archtop dreams. have had it appraised by 3 different places: $2000/ $8000/ and unable to assess. Probably not worth more than 2or 3 the highest intrinsic value is probably the birds eye maple front and back. but ive put close to $1500.00 total into now and its priceless to me... it will go to my Grand Daughter once im unable to enjoy playing it or looking at it.

now... if i had $50,000 id get a signed L-5 Lloyd Loar 1924.
"Im a purist when it comes to Archtops and only an acoustic qualifies for that title imo".

I agree.

Surely guitars with pickups screwed to the top, almost always have a fence-post under the top to reduce feedback and, therefore the acoustic resonance and so they are electric guitars.
but, as far as floating pickups - ah, there's the rub!
Old 08-16-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
"Im a purist when it comes to Archtops and only an acoustic qualifies for that title imo".

I agree.

Surely guitars with pickups screwed to the top, almost always have a fence-post under the top to reduce feedback and, therefore the acoustic resonance and so they are electric guitars.
but, as far as floating pickups - ah, there's the rub!
Sir...err Mr Silly...err Mr. Moustache, I have admired you and your vids are awesome. You are my favorite go to on you tube with a wobbly pop or 2.

i will concur on the subjectively of floating pickups... i have tried them, both pickguard types and even a simple "cling on" on the body (various spots), however not a huge fan personally (kinda like Master Ken there) the feel of the resonance of that 16" body against my body is the closest i will ever be to a "beethoven experience" that curved body melts into mine and i have an "out of body experience" while playing my 29. none of my other gits: 12 string/6 string steel or classicals have providing that experience to me. The simpliest 12 bar blues or open d runs/chords make me feel like im back in the dirty thirties..if only for a few minutes.

thank you for all the entertainment and education you have provided to me Silly... respectfully in admiration of the stache man.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-16-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Pickups, pots, their location, capacitors, wiring and jacks should not in my view be afterthoughts in my opinion. The same care that goes into the acoustic aspects of an instrument should go into the kit plugged in to an amplifier.

For example, I wanted wider string spacing (2-3/16”) on this 16” Buscarino Monarch so John used a Kent Armstrong blade pole piece floater on this guitar. The volume and tone pots are beneath the finger rest.

On my 16” Comins Classic which has standard 2-1/16” string spacing, I have a Kent Armstrong hand wound floater with 12 adjustable height pole pieces. It also has a Barbera Soloist piezo transducer in the bridge. You can blend the magnetic and piezo signals using a stereo cable into a two channel amp with a two way speaker. Basically, this lets you share what you hear with who you are playing to. I usually keep it 80% magnetic, 20% piezo when using it.

Lastly, just like with other electric instruments, sometimes you want the clearer timbre of a single coil. My 17” Trenier Artifex has a Kent Armstrong 6 adjustable pole piece single coul floater.

None of these pickups impact the acoustic aspects of the instruments.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:16 AM

The acoustic property of an archtop always comes first in my search.

My Godin Jazz model has a floating pickup and the pick guard is also not attached to the soundboard.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops