The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Default Breedlove Oregon all Myrtlewood

Hey all. I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a Oregon Concertina in all Myrtlewood. Not necessarily in that body size(although that would be ideal), but does anyone have any impressions on the Oregon series models in all Myrtlewood? Thanks!

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

I came across an Oregon spruce over myrtle concertina on Reverb last night for a good price. No first hand experience but i’ve read that people seem to prefer the spruce top.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 07-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

The Worship Pastor at my church plays a Breedlove Oregon Concert 25th Anniversary, and although I've never been a fan of Breedloves avant garde cutaway body style or their head stock shape...I will say that his guitar, that has a Sitka Spruce top and Myrtlewood B&S has one of the most amazing tones I have ever heard on such a small bodied guitar, hands down. Absolutely beautiful & open.

I think Myrtlewood is very easily obtained in their neck of the woods in Oregon, and it's highly sustainable too. Pretty wood also...and that's a good thing too. Your all-myrtlewood Breedlove would no doubt sound wonderful as well.

I say go for it!
Old 07-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post

I think Myrtlewood is very easily obtained in their neck of the woods in Oregon,
I'll say!!

If you ever have driven through coastal Oregon, then you'll know how many myrtlewood shops there are! Need to pick up a myrtlewood cribbage board next week when we are camping up there!

scott
Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Here's a 25th Anniversary model like my friend plays on AGF Classifieds...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=584988
Old 07-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Cool Almost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
The Worship Pastor at my church plays a Breedlove Oregon Concert 25th Anniversary, and although I've never been a fan of Breedloves avant garde cutaway body style or their head stock shape...I will say that his guitar, that has a Sitka Spruce top and Myrtlewood B&S has one of the most amazing tones I have ever heard on such a small bodied guitar, hands down. Absolutely beautiful & open.

I think Myrtlewood is very easily obtained in their neck of the woods in Oregon, and it's highly sustainable too. Pretty wood also...and that's a good thing too. Your all-myrtlewood Breedlove would no doubt sound wonderful as well.

I say go for it!
Almost got that right about the woods... the Breedlove 25th Anniversary model had a Port Orford cedar top with myrtlewood b/s... they only made a couple hundred (?) and I've played half-dozen or so...

And EVERY ONE was simply wonderful! There's a 25th Anniversary Breedlove on our Classifieds right now!!!

My experience with the all-myrtle Oregon Series guitars has been hit-or-miss; some of them have very small voices, while others sound very good to me, and I've played a few dozen of them in various sizes... the tone is quite pleasant to me, very different from one of the spruce topped Oregon Series guitars.

Personally, I think the spruce topped Oregon Series guitars are more consistent and they really can sound very good. Especially with the all-myrtle ones, I'd be sure to play it before I bought it...

And they'd ALL sound much better without the Baggs Element under the saddle!!! (they all come with it installed...)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had a Breedlove all myrtlewood for about a year, but not the Oregon series. Ive played mine alongside an Oregon series, and honestly was equally impressed by both, and since my piggy bank wasnt quite fat enough, opted for the china-crafted model. I do think they are an outstanding company doing some really great things. (I have three Breedloves, if that says anything)
Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I just purchased (June) an all Myrtlewood Oregon Series CE Limited Edition (Sweetgrass). I also have a 2003 Sitka/Myrtlewood of Concert size (SC-20). Both guitars are very nice but different. The 2003 has the Bridge Doctor and is not quite as responsive as the 2020 all Myrtlewood. It is a nice fingerpicking guitar but an even better strummer. It is not as loud as the 2020 all Myrtlewood.

I was GASing for a all Hog Concert sized guitar and tried a lot of different makes/models (Martin, Taylor, Guild, etc.) and settled on the Breedlove. Since taking over Breedlove, Tom Bedell got rid of the bridge doctor and I find the new models more responsive and quite balanced. Go play some and see if they talk to you. For the money, they spoke to me.

Alvarez-Yairi 5065 (1973)
Alvarez-Yairi WY1-TSB
Breedlove Oregon Series Sweetgrass Burst CE (2020)
Furch G25 CR cut (2016)
Guild F-212XL (1982)
Rainsong WS1000 (N1)
Old 07-07-2020, 10:34 PM

I played an all-Myrtlewood Breedlove at a GC. It was very impressive. I almost bought it. Probably should have.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I had one briefly. The tone was pretty sweet, and it was beautiful. I parted with it though as the amplified sound tone wasn’t good for me - pretty quacky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion