The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybrook View Post
I was going to get a GS Mini someday, but decided on a CSF3M instead. It showes up tomorrow...
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I also had it narrowed down to the Taylor GS mini and the Yamaha CSF3M. Certain things influenced my decision.
I thought the Yamaha was much prettier, with its solid South American mahogany back and sides, and beautiful mahogany binding top and bottom, compared to Taylors layered/laminated African Sapele back and sides on the all mahogany model, and the layered/laminated rosewood on their sitka/rosewood model. The two seemed very comparable in sound and playability when I watched YouTube reviews. One thing that I think I liked was Taylors bolt-on neck that made possible future neck adjustments with shims easier.
They were both comparably priced, but one would expect Taylor to have an edge with their name recognition and marketing power. So, I think that Yamaha was forced to pull out all the stops, and produce an exceptional guitar, to help insure a fair market share.
The guitar surprised me in a very good way.

Dave
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany

Last edited by Solina Dave; 07-10-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 PM

I'm pretty excited after looking at way too many YouTube videos. My interest was in a small guitar to use on our boat, so my first thought was to get a CSF1M but I kept liking the sound of the solid backed version better in the videos. I will just have to be more careful with humidity this way.

The funny thing is that I ended up with another Yamaha -- I really expected my next guitar to be a nice 000/OM in a year or two, probably a Martin or Eastman. Maybe a Huss and Dalton as I used to live in Staunton and would enjoy a hometown vibe.

Last edited by Hollybrook; 07-07-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:45 PM

I'm having a blast with the CSF3M - what a fun little guitar! Everyone who has seen it has commented on how nice it looks.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I'm having a blast with the CSF3M - what a fun little guitar! Everyone who has seen it has commented on how nice it looks.
It's been nearly a week. How do you like your CSF3M? I can't seem to put mine down for very long.You are right when you say it's a fun guitar. It's very inspiring. I find it to be very personal when I play it. It's very comfortable. It's well made, beautifully intoned, plays extremely well, and responds easily to a variety of different ideas.
One thing I have noticed, is that I'm having to make minor adjustments to the tuning, of all six strings, pretty well every time I decide to play it. My dreadnaught, with the same Elixir strings, sits in its stand, ready to play for long periods of time, before I have to touch it up. Have you noticed anything like that? My dreadnaught has open Golden Age 16:1 tuners, and I think the Yamaha tuners are also 16:1. But I have no idea what quality level they would be.

Enjoy you new guitar..........Dave
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany
Old 07-18-2020, 08:34 AM

I am loving it - easy to play and sounding sweet. The nut is too high, but I am waiting to do anything about it until I decide what to do about a minor crack in the fingerboard. My other guitars are not getting much play time, especially the dreadnought. I am making an effort to play the FS830 so I don't get stuck on the short scale length.

The tuning is not as consistent as the others, but they also took some time to settle in. Those tuners shure are small to my big fingers!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I am loving it - easy to play and sounding sweet. The nut is too high, but I am waiting to do anything about it until I decide what to do about a minor crack in the fingerboard. My other guitars are not getting much play time, especially the dreadnought. I am making an effort to play the FS830 so I don't get stuck on the short scale length.

The tuning is not as consistent as the others, but they also took some time to settle in. Those tuners shure are small to my big fingers!
I've upgraded my CSF1M with bone nut and saddle and some open gear tuners from GFS. Stays in tune very well now.
https://www.guitarfetish.com/181-Wil...uners_p_9.html
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Black-V...ngs_p_137.html
Old 07-19-2020, 03:56 PM

All I know is that they have the butt ugliest bridge I've ever seen, well almost ever seen haha
Old 07-20-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Functional, sort of free form with a little belly under the bass.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I have a CSF3M on the way — should have it tomorrow. I played a few lower-priced parlors at GC recently and the CSF1M they had blew away the Breedloves and Ibanez. I was really impressed. Hopefully this all-solid one is even better. I only have 2 other acoustics and both live in their cases and are far from “beaters.” Planning to leave this one out near the couch and take on vacations, etc.

Photos

Looking forward to it & will report back in a few days.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Those look like Sweetwater photos. That's where I got my CSF3M. I wish I had not sold it.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:43 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
All I know is that they have the butt ugliest bridge I've ever seen, well almost ever seen haha
Taste in looks and tone are so subjective! I happen to really like the unique shaped bridge which is slanted. It is shaped like a boat...so “whatever floats my boat” is applicable here.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-26-2020, 09:55 AM

Half a year later and I am still loving the CSF3M. It's such a sweet sounding and attractive instrument. Mine stays in tune and intonation is great. The only thing I have changed is to adjust the nut slots a little bit - the saddle was fine. I did switch to Elixir PB lights as the 80/20s were a tad bright for me.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:18 AM

I have still never played one of these. Still turned off from the bridge lol
Old 01-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I have still never played one of these. Still turned off from the bridge lol
Seems like it might be a good idea to lay hands on one and then post your thoughts (positive or negative), instead of continuing to post "updates" that you still don't like the aesthetics of the bridge, but haven't played one..
Old 01-05-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
It is interesting to hear what can happen to a guitar that is not kept in proper temperature and humidity. I never paid attention to that stuff, just kept my Martin D-35 in the house "normally", and after five decades it needed over $400 to repair a much lesser case of such problems.

I don't understand the "transacoustic" part of the new CSF.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgI7z_D_BwE

It says:
"Yamaha's groundbreaking TransAcoustic technology delivers onboard reverb and chorus effects. What sets TransAcoustic guitars apart from other instruments with onboard effects is that they don't require any external amplification. Engage the effects via the simple-to-use controls, and it's like you're playing in a rich, ambient venue — no amp or PA required."
Is this an onboard amp and mini-speakers to add effects to the natural sound? Must take at least a 9V battery ;-)
So this is the same type of effects as a Tonewood amp or something like the Lag HyVibe, right?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion