The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 08:32 PM

wow, thanks for all the great responses!

my point wasn't to split hairs - I know that there's no such thing as a "worship" guitar - more just the context - I'm guessing many worship leaders are at the mercy of volunteers and schedules, so group size, instrumentation, and song selection/genre varies weekly. One week it could be a grand piano and acoustic guitar playing "traditional" hymns, the next week it could be a six piece rock band, the next it could be solo acoustic. Maybe this should be more of a "which guitar would you use for X instrumentation or Y venue" thread.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:20 AM

I just use whatever guitar I feel like using that day. Whenever I get a good guitar the first thing I do is get it stage-ready, by which I mean that I install Schaller straplocks and get a pickup mounted in it. In recent years I’ve usually used K&K Pure Mini bridgeplate pickups.

So one week I might use my D-18, and on another I might bring my Larrivee OM-03W.

Ever since the pandemic hit I’ve been playing music in Zoom remote services, which I kind of hate because I’m one of those players who are at their best when there’s a live audience (or congregation) to interact with. I feed off that live performance energy.

But it’s a pandemic that we’re struggling through, so Zoom gatherings are the order of the day.

Anyway, the two guitars that I’ve used the most since this all started have been my 12 fret 00-21 and my 14 fret 000-42. They seem to work well for this purpose.

Maybe next time I’ll use my Gibson Advanced Jumbo...

As for any one brand or model of guitar being most popular among worship and praise band members, I must have missed that memo. I have seen some Taylors in other praise bands, and I guess that some prominent players are using McPhersons. But I’ve always gone my own way, both as a bar musician and as a church musician.

I’ve never felt a compelling urge to own either a Taylor or a McPherson, even after playing many examples of both brands. They’re fine, modern-sounding instruments, but I guess I gravitate to a more “Americana” kind of guitar tone.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
They’re fine, modern-sounding instruments...
Exactly my feeling about most Taylors, as both a player and an engineer. A perfect, tactful version of what's going on in my head, which is "Well, it's won't be spectacular, but it also won't be difficult." Same thing I used to think about Guilds back in the day.

I said "most" Taylors because I think the GS Mini is in its own category, especially the Mahogany. Very special instrument. It compels a good player to play differently and create different parts and voicings.

Couch Standards
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
My wife plays in two worship bands one of which is for ladies only. Her six string for many years now has been a 1960 Gibson J200 which is the best strummer on the planet. For the past three years she also on occasion brings a Martin D12-28.
I'm kind of a mirror image of this..I play in our church's praise team and mostly use the Hummingbird Pro 12 string, alternating with my Martin D-16. I have used my Dove, LG-2 and Cortez J-200 in the past (and probably will again, but the first 2 mentioned are my "go-to's")...
Old 07-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I just use whatever guitar I feel like using that day. Whenever I get a good guitar the first thing I do is get it stage-ready, by which I mean that I install Schaller straplocks and get a pickup mounted in it. In recent years I’ve usually used K&K Pure Mini bridgeplate pickups.
Hi Wade…

We never have a solo leader with no band, and we do have mandatory rehearsals with the sound tech. So we’d never change out guitars between rehearsal & services. Our techs work hard to get settings right at rehearsal & save those settings on board the mixer.

With 3 back-to-back services & only 15 minutes in between, spontaneous changes are not appreciated. We have plenty of opportunities in other gatherings to go casual...But Sun AM is not that.

I love the differences in church formats and bands. Everything from dress to music styles make life more interesting for me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-07-2020, 11:23 AM

Great post! Love reading all this everyone sharing their settings and experiences.

I was part of church that merged with another church. My original, was lead by a guy playing a Taylor 814. Soft when it needed and bright to cut through the band mix. I played an Epiphone dread with a Baggs M1A. I was background on everything but a few songs.

When we merged, the new worship leader had a Gibson J-45 and he cranked it up. You could usually hear it above the electric amps. Different music when he lead on Sunday. When he played, I had to switch to a smaller body guitar. The electric amps were so loud on stage, my dread would vibrate to the point that my strings hit the frets - without me strumming. I had to use a smaller 000 Martin with a UST and a sound hole plug. I was probably the only person that heard my guitar on those Sundays. Stage space was also an issue.

I lead worship for a while at a small church and I played a Martin -D16 with K & K. Great sound and no feedback since I only played with a keyboard and another acoustic. It was a small body Martin 000-18 so it was a good compliment to my guitar.

I guess what I am saying echos what everyone else is saying. It’s up to you to decide what’s best for you and you situation.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Exactly my feeling about most Taylors, as both a player and an engineer. A perfect, tactful version of what's going on in my head, which is "Well, it's won't be spectacular, but it also won't be difficult." Same thing I used to think about Guilds back in the day.

I said "most" Taylors because I think the GS Mini is in its own category, especially the Mahogany. Very special instrument. It compels a good player to play differently and create different parts and voicings.
I've had several Taylors...and I must admit their necks are the most comfortable I've played, and their QC is dang near perfect. But, I concur with your statement as well as Wade's. I've never played one that sounded "right" to my ears. I've concluded that I'm a "Martin Guy".

If you'll notice, you see fewer and fewer worship leaders/band-members playing Taylors nowadays than in the years past where virtually EVERYBODY played one, mainly because of the electronics. Hillsongs, Elevation, Gateway Worship, and many other high profile worship groups are using Martin guitars almost exclusively.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Don't a lot of the worshippers play wood McPhersons?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-07-2020, 05:32 PM

I play solo in a small church with about 30 attending on a regular basis. I alternate between my Martin Custom Shop 000 12 fret, Martin 000-17sm, and Collings DRS2H. My choice of guitar on Sunday depends on what I am playing.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 PM

Default Knowing nothing about this topic...

I'd just guess that the PRS Angelus would be popular. Otherwise, you gotta have a Faith. Just not the "Naked Mercury" model. ; >
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-08-2020, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

My church has a very good house system. The pastor is very musical, we use 2 keyboards, couple electrics -gibson. Fender, suhr, and a couple acoustics-taylor, gibson,larrivee.
I think any brand works but more important is how does it sound with the inhouse system. That's what I would check first.

here's my pastor with a taylor t3b I picked up used, on his midday show. Guitar starts around 3:25 and he plays "break every chain" with it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0_lRA13l0

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-08-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Don't a lot of the worshippers play wood McPhersons?

Tony
Yep, those that have endorsements. No other way to afford them!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 AM

All of the list below are ready for P&W.
Currently, our praise leader finds himself wanting something “different” and I remind him that I have a 12-string.
So I’ve been playing the Takamine GJ72CE more.
My best sounding? It’s a toss-up between Alvarez AJ60SC and the Takamine P3DC.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 AM

Martin Grand J12-16GTE. It's the only guitar I have that has a pickup.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

For context, I'm first career clergy and have been around for quite a while. I don't believe in "worship" guitars, but I do understand your question.

Hopefully these thoughts will be helpful:

- size and weight: If you are standing and leading "worship" (same as if you were standing and performing a gig), the lighter/smaller the guitar, the less fatigue when playing. Some people don't mind using a dread or a jumbo (I have used a Mod D and a Ryan Cathedral) but usually the smaller and lighter will lead to less fatigue.

- Neck profile: This is something that a lot of people don't think about too much. They pick up a guitar and play it and if its comfortable, then it works. In my experience (which is counter-intuitive), a thicker neck and taller frets will lead to less hand fatigue. I personally prefer a "normal c" shape neck, but when I play chords for an extended period of time, the thicker neck will lead to less hand fatigue. This is because your hand isn't working as hard to play the chords.

- Set up: A set up for any guitar is critically important. You want a qualified tech or luthier to set the guitar up for you and your purpose. Again, this will lead to easier playing and also lead to less fatigue.

The more comfortable you are playing the particular guitar will make it a better tool for "worship," a gig, a performance, or anything else.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion