The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGinMP View Post
Wow, very nice! That Koa almost looks a little like mahogany. Yes Goodall is known for their expertise with Koa. Great guitar, enjoy!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 PM

Does anyone know the neck dimensions of the Goodall Concert Jumbo?

I love my SCGC OM Grand but my hand never got used to the neck. bar chords for an entire song were impossible. I've been on a neck quest for the last few years and finally discovered the Collings neck on the OM2HT. It's perfect for me and there are many things i love about the Collings sound. Enroute to the Collings I also acquired a Goodall Jumbo which had a workable neck for my hand and a sound to die for but overall it was just physically too large for me. I felt like a kid with an oversize bike.

I love the sound of the OMG. I loved the sound of the Goodall. I'm thinking of either doing a custom build of a Goodall Concert Jumbo or a custom OM Grand. Just wondering what the stock neck of the Goodall CJ is like.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 07-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I researched this topic w/regard to my Goodall - again, the smaller GC - and found quite a few references wherein people found the neck too large. This surprised me as mine is what I would say is very thin. Since I got mine used, I did not have any information on it beyond the woods listed on a label inside the guitar. I wanted to know more and tried contacting Goodall but was never able to get information from them. Finally I found some references, here in the archives of AGF, to a thin carve neck (or something like that) that seems to be, or have been an option, but might also have been the standard for a specific Goodall dealer. I ended up taking the guitar in to a tech for possible set-up, which it did not need, but he got me some measurements I wanted and confirmed that the neck is a thin D profile.

This may be of no direct relevance to your situation, but I did glean that they make, or have made, more than one neck profile!
Old 07-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Oh, James will make the neck profile however you want it... on my Grand Concert, I asked for a 'little bit" shallower than normal, and he gave me what was called (on the order form) as a "slim carve" neck profile...

If you place an order for a new Goodall, you'll be able to spec a lot of those types of aspects of the build...

Remember, if you call them to get in touch, that it's only Jean (James' wife) in the front office and James and his son Luke are the only ones doing the building, so don't get disillusioned if you have to leave a message... Jean will get back to you.

I do know that they are taking some time off this summer, though I don't know how much actual "time off" they'll have.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-07-2020, 06:55 PM

I don’t have calipers so I can’t give real measurements on my KCJ neck. It’s definitely not low-profile. I’d have to call it mild-chunky although I know that’s subjective. I don’t mind a little extra girth, but I had a Collings OM2HG with a V neck that just hurt (although the sound was beautiful!). The Goodall neck has such a mild V that I don’t even think of it as a V neck despite what their description says.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion